Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2008, 09:04   #31

Boat: Sceptre 41
I used Sikaflex 295-UV with the 209 primer. Primer was very expensive. I think I paid $50 for a pint. But I also figured that I would be doing the other ports (windows) as well. It was pretty easy. The worst part was cleaning the old sealant off the boat. Here is a link to the installation instructions Sika Corporation | USA.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 12:43   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
So were you able to come up with the product name of this stuff we're talking about?
It looks like it's a Momentive Performance Materials Silicone Primer. That should be enough for you smart DIYers. I will not name the exact formula that we use; you can call it a "trade secret" if it makes you any feel better.

hellosailor, I'm afraid that this donkey is about as untrained as one get . All I look at is how much does it cost to go out and how much does it bring in. If it isn't in my favour, it's not something that I'm going to do. If shipping + cost of materials = more than is competitive, it's not a part of my business. In the particular case of the primer, I have concluded that it is not a viable business opportunity.

Old 29-04-2008, 13:11   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Momentive Performance Materials SS4155 Silicone Primer for use with One and Two Component RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealants, Blue

Momentive Performance apparently bought up the GE Silicones division last year so I guess we could call that a GE product now too. Or vice versa.[g]

A fast look shows the USPS no longer will handle hazmat (?!) and UPS will charge $20 extra for it, but somehow...Jamestown Distributors ships the SikaFlex primer without any hazmat surcharge. Maybe a point in favor of Sikaflex instead of silicone with a flammable primer?

Ben, I can understand when a vendor does not want to be a course instructor or materials supplier.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote