Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2008, 19:22   #1

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
Lehman 120 rebuild?

Hello All:

I'm considering buying a trawler with a Ford Lehman 120 in it, but the owner reports nearly 5000 hours on the engine. My questions: a) how many hours, roughly, before such an engine requires a rebuild; b) what's the cost range for such a rebuild? I've tried researching these questions on the net, but the websites advertising such services tend to be coy about specifics or are oriented toward engines in general. I will be getting a mechanical survey, of course, but I need to know ballpark figures so that I can determine an initial offer.

Cheers,

Buddy Y
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 19:29   #2
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Rebuild it yourself...piece-o-cake...really. It is probably the easiest engine in the world to rebuild.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 21:43   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What leads you to believe it needs to be rebuilt?

What Symptoms? If it is smoke when starting, they all do that to a point.

I have worked on a number or Ford Diesels.....the biggest things I have seen have beeen a cracked oil pan, injector maintenance, Exhaust Elbow Replacement.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 22:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
5000hrs is not major for the Lehman. Injector service is the only essential thing to worry about if they have not been looked at in the last 2000hrs.
Probably the cheapest 6cyl motor to rebuild. The Lehman is a 6D series engine. Oil leaks around gaskets is their major problem and can make them look worse than they really are. The genuine Lehman water cooled exhaust mainfold tends to rust out at the exhaust end. Apart from that, the only other issue is the power. They are not 120Hp. They are far from it. In those days the specs where measured very differently. In todays measurements, you are looking at about a 90-95Hp engine. If she is an old displacment vessel, then that is a non issue really.
I would imagine at a guess(based on parts prices here in NZ) could be looking at say US$2K for a rebuild kit.
Use the Cast iron cyclinder liners. They are better because the engine runs a little cooler than in a vehicle and the rings need to bit in a little more.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 09:17   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The motor lasts depending on how it was taken care, 120 is a good motor and is totally rebuildable. Cost well its more then $ 2000.00, more along the lines of $ 5000.00 up. There is coolers, pumps, test injectors and possible injection pump to tend with. Machine work from a good diesel machine shop will run around $ 1000.00. Parts are still out there, good motor, good fuel economy.
Inlet Marine Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 17:01   #6

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
Smile Thanks all!

Thanks for all the advice! Now I have a much better idea of what to budget, and hence what offer to make. (Now if I can just convince the boat owner to take ten minutes on yachtworld.com to educate himself as to what sort of price his boat is realistically selling for, all will be well. He's had it on the market with a broker for one and a half years, and in that time he's dropped the price a whole ten percent.... )
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 19:39   #7
Eternal Member

If you try to get him to go and look at what other boats of similar make are selling for in order for HIM to reduce HIS price....you are wasting your time.

You could always say this "PHEW 5,000 hours....well a rebuild is going to cost at least $12,000 that is if they don't find anything else.....then....start....walking don't run to the nearest exit
Old 27-02-2008, 11:46   #8
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You could always say this "PHEW 5,000 hours....well a rebuild is going to cost at least $12,000 that is if they don't find anything else.....then....start....walking don't run to the nearest exit
That is good advise. My last boat was priced a bit high based on condition. But not wanting to insult the owner about his less than professional repair work and lack of good housekeeping, I negotiated a $10,000 reduction based on a higher than average temp reading on one cylinder of a 3208 and me saying almost verbatim what you say. It can work if they are ready to reduce. Just takes a little tact.

BTW: the 3208 runs fine after tuning up the fuel distributer.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 13:17   #9
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Bomac Marine- Ford Lehman Engines Parts, Remanufacture and Service
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 18:39   #10
Eternal Member

Another thing is an Engine Survey

I suppose "Pat" has done a few, as I have......these are a different 'breed'
than a typical yacht survey.....I have worked with a couple of surveyors who call me in to "do" the engines.....for the most part, yacht surveyors are looking at a vessel from a different perspective they don't generally get to involved with the fine points of the powerplants. Some do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
That is good advise. My last boat was priced a bit high based on condition. But not wanting to insult the owner about his less than professional repair work and lack of good housekeeping, I negotiated a $10,000 reduction based on a higher than average temp reading on one cylinder of a 3208 and me saying almost verbatim what you say. It can work if they are ready to reduce. Just takes a little tact.

BTW: the 3208 runs fine after tuning up the fuel distributer.
Old 28-02-2008, 17:38   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I suppose "Pat" has done a few, as I have......these are a different 'breed'
than a typical yacht survey.....I have worked with a couple of surveyors who call me in to "do" the engines.....for the most part, yacht surveyors are looking at a vessel from a different perspective they don't generally get to involved with the fine points of the powerplants. Some do.
I should have pointed out that the reason I had that information to bargain with was because I went that additional $300 or so to hire an engine surveyor. WELL worth it. I can't imagine buying a boat of any size without one. Just so cheap compared to the cost of even just a heat exchanger or an exhaust manifold.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman, rebuild