Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2023, 06:03   #1

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Random: anyone know of a good portable work bench/desk

I am looking or a portable work bench/desk that can hold a paint shaker, grinding wheel, and a vice. Needs to be able to be beefy enough to operate those devices and collapsible or portable enough to live in the back of an F-150.

Background:
I’ve asked many random questions over the years and received good answers here, so, figured, why not. I’ve also tried the Google and have some ideas.

We operate a mobile boat repair business in Key West and are starting to offer simple yard work (bottom painting). I need something that lives in the back of my yard truck that can travel between boats at the different dry dock facilities and then can be set up to operate the above three items plus have a sturdy flat surface to work on.

We can build something as well but looking for any suggestions or ideas before we do so. Off the shelf best because it’s easiest and we are busy.

Thanks for all the random ideas.
Old 15-07-2023, 07:20   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Random: anyone know of a good portable work bench/desk

The paint shaker requirements makes this come across as a joke. It won't work. Use a paint stir in a drill. You can go beyond standard mixer blades. I have a whole jar full of these blades from old lab equipment, and I have welded them up for others. MUCH better than standard paint mixers. Easy to clean and much better for thick paint and cleaning the bottom of settled antifouling cans. Much faster than a shaker.

For example, these are what I have used when applying 30 cans of antifouling paint in a row for an article.

Old 15-07-2023, 07:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Harbor Freight has a cheap wooden bench. Not bad for the money. You would likely have to reinforce it.

I agree paint shaker is likely over the top for pick up, unless you welded something to a hitch mount. Even then?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 08:28   #4

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

For many years I had a Black and Decker portable workbench. Quite handy, had an integrated clamp and given a couple of extra clamps you can do alot with the bench. Metal frame, wood top so it was pretty rigid. Weighed about 50 lbs and folded to around 32x32x6.
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 08:35   #5

I have a Black and Decker Workmate that has served me well for nearly 20 years now.

https://www.blackanddecker.com/products/wm225

I have to agree with the other comments that running a paint shaker on it might be a little much.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 09:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Random: anyone know of a good portable work bench/desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have a Black and Decker Workmate that has served me well for nearly 20 years now.

https://www.blackanddecker.com/products/wm225

I have to agree with the other comments that running a paint shaker on it might be a little much.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 10:23   #7

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41

Ok ignore the paint shaker! I just ordered a handful of drill attachments and will see how they perform. I’ll check out the black and decker link. Thx all
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 15:58   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What about a table with folding legs with safety rings that prevents the legs collapsing, such as church groups serve fund-raising dinners on? They're not forever items, but still pretty durable and get a lot of abuse. The size that will seat 8-10 people. You'd probably want a backing plate for the vise, but would be slideable into the pickup bed.

Ann
Old 15-07-2023, 18:18   #9

I've had Black & Decker tables and they were okay. I recently purchased a Husky table from Home Depot (US) and like the table a lot. The slots are for small F-Clamps which is very handy. Not quite a vice, but can certainly clamp vet securely and act as a fence for sawing, sanding, etc. Table is rated at 1000 lbs or something.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-...4317/205887786
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 06:23   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Your basic plastic folding table, its cheap so when it dies you get a new one and they lay flat in the truck bed. I would pack a shade tent with that. Stir the paint with a drill set up.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 08:04   #11

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I use two of those inexpensive tables, one to hold up a small 1920's wood lathe and the other to hold up a small 2020's UV laser. Neither table is bearing much weight, they are not 100% flat, and they are not as steady/study as a workshop type table.

I would say a Workmate-type stand for the grinder, put a wood base on the grinder than clamps into/onto the stand. Leave the grinder in the truck until needed.

The vice could be also done the same as the grinder. The heavy equipment people usually build the vices into the rear bumper of their work trucks, which probably saves wear and tear on the operators.

I would not want to cart the vice and grinder any more than needed hence making them modular.

There are carts for miter saws that might work too. I have one of the small painter's scaffoldings that get used as auxiliary bench and storage shelf and occasionally as an actual scaffolding...If they are outdoors, the plywood will eventually get ruined by rain unless finished or put away.

Being garage-based, my miter saw is bolted to the same bench as my vice in the garage so no lugging for me. The bench grinder is also on that same bench but is only moved to the front when needed. I use the saw and vice more often than the grinder.
Old 20-07-2023, 06:00   #12

Additional picture showing Husky/Home Depot work table. I'm building a shed and cutting 2-inch vent holes with a Forstner bit. Fair amount of torque yet the 2x4 is easily held in place by the clamp in the rail/slot (note that clamps are not included with the table).

I plan to add a table to my boat. Mostly plastic so no rust issues. Extremely sturdy. Easily supports a Sailrite Sewing machine. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230720_083417.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	278390
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 19:15   #13

Boat: Still building

There is a type of multi-purpose ladder that can fold into a C-shape to make a bench. Usually made of steel, so not super light, but therefore also fairly solid.
I have used these as both scaffold and work bench.
So as others have said, bolt your 'accessories' to wooden bases and simoply clamp them or bolt them to the 'table'.
Of course, it can also be a scaffold or a ladder, so additional functionality beyond a simple 'work table'.
And fo course, folds flat (or need not, depending) so could go inside truck bed or on racks above.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 19:39   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

The drill attached paint stirrers will work great. You'll like them.

I used those to mix the epoxy for my boat. The really big drill stirrers to do a 5 gallon bucket.

Was mixing 5 gallon buckets of epoxy from 55 gallon drums of resin and hardener.

Wonder why I'm allergic to the stuff?? Lol

But the paint mixer will do a great job. You can move it around on the bottom of the paint can as well to make sure you get it all and you can watch the paint combine with itself and form a perfectly mixed finished product. They are quick also. quicker than a paint shaker actually.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 18:11   #15

Boat: 49ft custom power catamaran

I have one of these at home and on the boat. Folds to less than 4.5 inches thick. Use it as a platform to stand on and work overhead. Find them superior to my previous Workmates.

https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Folding...7&ts_id=553602
wefleenor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, work