Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 21:32   #136

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destyn View Post
Some may think Ronnie's an idiot for the choices that he made, but at least he had the BALLS to do sail/live his dream and unlike some of you... had the BALLS to admit his failures so openly, then suffer getting ripped apart by what I thought was an amazing community of people. I thought the boating community was more than that... I thought they were a brotherhood of men/women sharing the commonality of loving the sometimes treacherous seas. Whatever. Whether or not you all want to admit it, this guy is fascinating... I'm a fan.

At least he made the choice to do something rather than nothing... then allow us to share in it. Get from it whatever you want. Live in your own little box, your own cookie cutter lives, and then question how happy you are there... probably not very much. Get off you high horses and do something noteworthy. This guys surely is.
People seem to act like he is a one-of-kind that went off to sail his dream. We've seen at least 2 others make absurd announcements about how they would circumnavigate with no offshore experience or with an completely unseaworthy boat in the last year. The the Northsea 27 gal and the aluminum tri. Each of these with a whole herd of internet cheerleaders. There is nothing wrong with dealing with the reality of what these folks propose to do and making clear statements about the issues and problems they will likely face. You are not negative just because you are not an online cheerleader.

Ronnie is what he is -- good for him. For others who plan similar trips, they should be able to hear the non-ra-ra side of the trips, the reality, before they annouce to the world their attentions, create a bug web site and ask for donations.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 23:26   #137
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Pelagic said, "Get a job like the rest of us and earn the right to travel....and PLEASE....don't call yourself a SAILOR..."

By the way, Pelagic ... 'cause I know you'd never want to check out Ronnie's story, he is planning on getting a job and working his way through this too! And, I don't know if Ronnie's ever called himself a SAILOR... I haven't gone that far back in his logs, but I know if he's anything like you, Pelagic - a self-serving, self-righteous, know-it-all, he's definitely NOT a sailor.

My money is on Ronnie.
Welcome to the Forum Destiny…..I hope you stay long enough to embrace the philosophy amongst fellow sailors of being well prepared, self reliant and respectful of the Sea we all love so much.

For those of us who have spent a lifetime sailing the oceans, we come across naïve boaters all the time, who have not done their homework and you just know they might dramatically fail their first serious offshore test.

If you know one of them personally, you diplomatically guide them to learn the skills necessary to be masters of their own destiny. You get drawn in and sometimes unwillingly become their mentor who is that instant resource (cheat sheet) for any small crisis they may have, when you would much rather that student just hunkers down and studies the subject before going to Sea. You care about the guy and you want him to succeed.

Destiny, I don’t know how much you sail, but Ronnie’s problem was about on the same level as getting a flat tire on a stormy night in a remote area. It was not a big deal but the guy panicked!

CF is a public forum and I am proud to say that most of the regulars on here tried to help problem solve “Offshore Sailor Needs Help” at the beginning before critiquing his level of “awareness”. (I only commented after he was removed to a safer captain)

Now some of us try to reinforce the lessons learned by using Ronnie as an example in the hope that someone else will read this….. do their homework a bit better, take a few baby steps first, before risking their lives and perhaps their families.

I am also part of this forum because despite my experience, I will never “know it all” but continue to learn from others.

I won’t apologize for my reaction to his “begging” since that is anathema to a self reliant sailor.

I wish him well and hope you get your money’s worth from living vicariously from Ronnie’s exploits…..Don’t worry….I don’t need your money or approval. …..Fair winds!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 01:47   #138

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
God didn't put Ronnie 800 miles from shore in a broken boat. Ronnie put Ronnie 800 miles (does that distance keep growing BTW?).

I for one have other things to do with my donation money than to give it to a youg kid that blames God for his situations.
I believe God disabled Ronnie's boat so as to save him from himself.

All of this should have been a very private experience for Ronnie, but he blogged instead of prayed.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 02:00   #139

Fair winds...

Fair winds, Pelagic... Thanks for the reply!

This all started when one person proposed to help Ronnie by posting a bit of his log to ask the boaters here for advice. Isn't that what this site is all about, mostly as a tool to help another boater? What I think about you and what you think about me is so insignificant to what this site is truly about, to help another in need of expertise and support. So, I'll leave it at that.

Destyn
Destyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 02:21   #140

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Some may think Ronnie's an idiot for the choices that he made, but at least he had the BALLS to do sail/live his dream and unlike some of you... had the BALLS to admit his failures so openly, then suffer getting ripped apart by what I thought was an amazing community of people. I thought the boating community was more than that... I thought they were a brotherhood of men/women sharing the commonality of loving the sometimes treacherous seas. Whatever. Whether or not you all want to admit it, this guy is fascinating... I'm a fan.
I think most of us ended up being fatherly/parental at the end.

But hey, no one can stop you from wishing you were there at the time.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 02:39   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wonder if Ronnie is aware of the connotations attached to his boat name?

“La Cenicienta” is Spanish for Cinderella.
A “Cinderella” is one that suddenly and unexpectedly achieves recognition or success, after a period of obscurity and neglect.

Interestingly, “La Cenicienta” is also the name of an opera, based upon classic fairy tale Cinderella, originally composed to be sung, acted and played exclusively by children.

Most renderings of the story include an evil stepmother and stepsister(s), a dead mother, a dead or ineffective father, some sort of gathering such as a ball or festival, mutual attraction with a person of high status, a lost article, and a search that ends with success. Cinderella, herself, is a simpering, whimpering girl, who is helpless until the right magic comes along.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 03:31   #142
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
.....Well.....if the shoe fits....!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 05:28   #143
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Well,

When you put yourself out in the public promoting yourself. You really do need a thick skin. Once you go public, and say HEY LOOK AT ME. You need to be able to take the criticism as well as the BEST WISHES.

Ronnie could have chosen to do this privately, but he didn't. He could have slipped away silently, and done his filming, but he didn't. Where in the rules can you read only the well wishers can be heard? RJ I understand it hurts to read this criticism about someone you love so deeply. When you guys decide to go public this is a responsibility you need to carry.

I personally like Ronnie as a person, and my fingers were crossed he would accomplish his goal, and gather experience along the way. What Pelagic says about a flat on a stormy night is the absolute truth. There was no cause to abandon the boat, so he must, and will face his critics.

I give Ronnie a huge amount of credit for his honesty with what has happened to him. This includes you too RJ. You promised Ronnie you would publish everything he sent, and as far as we know you surely did. His honesty makes me like him even more, and he still has my BEST WISHES to succeed in what ever he attempts, and I would love to see him sail again.

Life is not fair, and now you will learn to live with your choices, but always remember this. You guys came to us seeking recognition. Unfortunatley the events that happened did not bring a favorable review. This is an outcome you will need to overcome, and be better prepared to make the next chapter successful.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 06:58   #144

I hate that my first post is on a thread with such mixed emotions. I have been reading the forum for a few months trying to gain knowledge and insight before starting off on my own adventure. This board is full of information and from my experience knowledgable members.
Once Ronnie arrives in Shanghai I think its going to be a nightmare with customs. I have lived the better part of the last 7 years in Asia and the thought that he will just walk on to his next destination does not really work that well. He needs to try to get to Bangkok and make his way to Khao Sarn where there is a whole community of like minded individuals who are trying to travel around the world or have been stranded in their attempts. I used to see flyers there on a fairly regular basis looking for crew for sailing adventures. It sounds like he is down to his shoe laces when it comes to funds and this is a place he can survive on almost nothing a day , while licking his wounds , and telling his stories. He may just meet the right people willing to help him out a bit. I feel that Hong Kong is not the right place for Ronnie after reading his blogs and posts.
10 Percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 08:41   #145

What a drama. And one that was so obviously coming sooner or later. He was surprised by the sailing conditions because when he serched 'youtube' for 'sailing to Hawaii' it showed nothing but gentle conditions. GIVE ME A BREAK. The guy's very lucky to be alive. Given how unprepared he was and more critically, he didn't bother to learn. He just left. He 'just did it'. How did he come to the conclusion that sailing the worlds oceans was easy and required no experience or learning curve?

I'll be very interested in reading the responses form this board's members the next time somebody writes, "I have no experience at sea, just sold the house, plan to sail around the world".

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 08:47   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I'll be very interested in reading the responses form this board's members the next time somebody writes, "I have no experience at sea, just sold the house, plan to sail around the world".
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post215238
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 09:23   #147

Boat: Endeavour 37
My First Post

[quote=Schuyler;214964]If you would have bothered to visit his site you probably would have noticed he has been reading books and planning for the past year. He even spent 6 months trying to get his boat ready (More time might have been wiser obviously). But oh well, . . .

But Oh well, almost cost him his life and potentially others. I too have a dream of becoming a blue water sailor, but I consider that a title earned through study and experience, primarily the latter. I understand Ronnie youthful enthusiasm for I too was once young and stupid. (and there is really no other way to put it). It now begs the question whether he has the wisdom to learn from his own mistakes (certainly is was not God or anyone else who put him hundreds of miles offshore without ever making a shake down cruise, taking an experienced sailor along or any of the other dozen or so mistakes).

Unfortunately it appears from his last blog that Ronnie may not be with us much longer for it seems that he does not want to take responsibility for his foolish actions. Rather, he just wants me to send him some money so he can try it again as quickly as posssible. I for one hope that when he does so that he only recklessly places his own life in danger and not any others. Ronnie would you have taken that hot little honey you were speaking about if you had met her before you left and she was eager to go with you??????? Would you still?????

Anyone who fails to admit and learn from their own mistakes are doomed to repeat them. If you truly want to become a blue water sailor realize boat ownership and a year of reading up on it doesn't quite do the trick. Listen to these guys and gals, their opinions may differ on many things but they all aim to be better sailors/cruisers and help others do the same. Apply the things you have read, practice the drills, make short trips at first where help is within reach. Get to know your boat, the sea and yourself. Of course, you are young and eager to get out there, but some patience and experience will result and a much better chance of this story never repeating itself. I sincerely hope it doesn't.

Pete
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 10:10   #148
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Percent View Post
He needs to try to get to Bangkok and make his way to Khao Sarn where there is a whole community of like minded individuals who are trying to travel around the world or have been stranded in their attempts.
I was going to suggest something similar, but I did not want to get blamed for that one .....Thailand always needs another fella with a "good heart"

Of course on paper it is a bloody good idea - I think the usual crack is to do the English Teaching thing.........or maybe even Japan or Korea where the US have bases and use his ex-military status to solicit some help / pointers in the right direction from folk still serving.

But FWIW I think Ronnie should go home, stay with some family, get his head together, get a job and plan his next adventure (on land or sea) and in the meantime save up a few dollars. Having a few quid in your pocket permits mistakes to not become disasters.....albeit it can also permit a few

But Ronnie is a big boy and therefore gets to make his own decisions and he seems quite able to live with the outcomes - without blaming his misfortunes on others. or the Capitalist System and I ain't his mum
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 11:39   #149

Why isn't anyone talking about Skip Allen being an idiot for abandoning his boat on the same seas at Ronnie a month before? His 32 years of experience didn't help him.

Just wondering?

Everyone keeps slamming Ronnie for his inexperience, but is overlooking the failure of a "great" sailor on the same seas.
Destyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 12:20   #150

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Why isn't anyone talking about Skip Allen being an idiot for abandoning his boat on the same seas at Ronnie a month before? His 32 years of experience didn't help him.

Just wondering?

Everyone keeps slamming Ronnie for his inexperience, but is overlooking the failure of a "great" sailor on the same seas.
No one says that experience trumps all conditions at sea. Skip made a tough decision after being in a gale for multiple days. Since he has 10's of thousands of seas miles to compare conditions to, I suspect his evaluation was right for him - at the time. There is no way you can compare Skip's preparation or his boat's preparation to what Ron did in this case.

The issue is not should Ron have bailed out. The issue is should he have gone to sea without a survey, or the skills to do it himself, without dismantling the entire steering system on an old boat and rebuilding it, without any offshore experience or reasonable shake down cruise. Skip Allan did not make any of these mistakes.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote