Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 07:49   #1

Newport 30,exposed keelbolts?

Looking at a 1986 Newport 30 mk3. In pretty good condition. Except I noticed some brown water in the bilge, and the keelbolts were exposed, and the nuts looked rusty (I'll try to link photos). From what I read the keelbolts in this model should be encapsulated in fiberglass. So why would they be exposed? Presumably someone chiseled them out. Is this a sign of possible damage, or just some maintenance? (which could be a good thing?) How concerned should I be?

I asked the owner if he knew why, but still waiting. He only owned the boat a year, so not sure he'll have much info. I'll get a survey if I move forward, but obviously would prefer to find a dealbreaker issue before then.

thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PnJ4YrkkP6e5Fq857
scandium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Newport 30,exposed keelbolts?

Red Flags Waving.

Sounds mightily like a keel impact. Look for buckling of the hull aft of the keel, and signs of repair work both in the bilge and on the outside. There're not many reasons to dig them out if they have not been loosened.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:19   #3

Re: Newport 30,exposed keelbolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Red Flags Waving.

Sounds mightily like a keel impact. Look for buckling of the hull aft of the keel, and signs of repair work both in the bilge and on the outside. There're not many reasons to dig them out if they have not been loosened.
Yes it's certainly not giving me a good feeling. Boat is in the water so I can't check the keel, that would have to wait for the survey short haul... $$$. But I'm looking at the boat again soon so will check what I can in the bilge.

Now I might have to decide whether to run away now, or keep digging into this. I still don't have a good sense what the odds are this is minor vs catastrophic issue..

If the nuts are just rusted, how big of a deal is it to replace those? Can you do it one by one? Or does the keel have to be taken off to do that?
scandium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, newport