Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 05:31   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
new rigging

I am beginning to plan replacing my rigging.
I talked to a contractor today who told me that swaged fittings were much better than norse fittings. I am sure this is a lot of opinion but I had never heard that.
Is there a consensus about fittings?
I was considering dynaform type wire and reusing my norse fittings if they were in good shape.
Opinions?
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 05:50   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: new rigging

Stalock fittings last longer and they can be reused with new cones and seams , swaged fittings last a good bunch of years to but they cant be reused, so if you want to use Dyform wire with your old norse terminations , no problem if they are free of cracks of defects and you fit new cones and seams... cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 07:50   #3

Where's The best country to have rigging done? I want wood spars and spreaders on two masts for my schooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 07:52   #4

Sorry. Sailing transatlantic from the Med to Maine. Where's the best place to have spreaders done? New rigging on a schooner.

Old 18-03-2015, 08:52   #5
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1944 View Post
Sorry. Sailing transatlantic from the Med to Maine. Where's the best place to have spreaders done? New rigging on a schooner.

I would wait til I was in a port and not do it on the way
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 10:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have rigged two boats with Norseman/StaLok terminals. Have kept in contact with one of the boats and it's still going strong with the terminals i installed 40 years ago. PO's have changed the wire and the turnbuckles but the terminals soldier on. Suspect the rigger doesn't want to justify the high price he's going to charge for mechanical terminals over swages.

FWIW, it's very easy to do your own rigging with Norseman/StaLok/etc terminals. Did the 24 terminals on my first attemp on the above boat in a long day. Only reason it took so long is I was nervous and overly careful on the first few wires. Once I got rolling could knock out fitting a terminal in minutes. Mechanical terminals cost more but they almost never suffer from cracking, etc that affect swages especially in warm salty environments. Oh did we say we are going cruising to warm climes.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 11:18   #7

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Replaced my rigging recently with sta-lock fittings. Did it myself and it was very easy. The fittings can be re-used next time and they distribute the load evenly between the strands of wire so i can see why people say they're more reliable than the swaged fittings. I've personally had two swaged fittings fail, both times from cracks and corrosion where the metal was stressed from the swaging process. So far (early days yet) i'm very happy with the sta-locks. If i did it again i might consider making the backstay out of DUX for more strength, less weight aloft and easy backstay adjustment.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 10:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
I would wait til I was in a port and not do it on the way
rdw
Awww, I was hoping for a Lat/Long recommendation.

Tags
rigging