Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2020, 20:28   #1

Need some help Good people!!

Hey, I have a little issue I have a mantus anchor that’s 20kg and I just bought 5/16 chain, I placed a swivel but can’t find a shackle that will fit my anchor roller. The anchor roller is super thin and I’m kind of running out of ideas. I just bought the boat so you guys be gentle on me. I have just shy on 2 inch of clearance on the anchor roller. I asked all the marine shops but what they are recommending is not even close to fitting and I have not been able to find a shackle that’s the right size. Any advice will be greatly appreciated : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11B0D6E7-E212-46AC-BFFD-0C3CC1D1451D.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	222812   Click image for larger version

Name:	F1280928-A873-488B-8BCB-B0EE506D75D2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	222813  

Kpaykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 22:25   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Need some help Good people!!

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-...SAFEgLF3PD_BwE

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1344.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	222823
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 23:10   #3

Yeah I saw that one but I think with the locking bolt it’s going to be over 2in. I’m going to call them tomorrow and see maybe they have one with a flush mount. I appreciate the advice.
Old 05-09-2020, 23:44   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Would a twisted shackle fit the hole in the shank, fitting the pin through the chain?
Works in a similar situation on my boat.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:08   #5

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I had the same problem. You need a shackle secured with an Allen key. Not sure what you call them in US. This sort of thing: https://www.s3i.co.uk/wichard-self-l...BoCdvIQAvD_BwE
The French make Wichard are very good quality - stamped with their Working Load Limit in Kg which is 1/5 of ultimate breaking strain I believe. Suggest also you put 3 links of chain between your anchor shackle & your swivel to avoid an unfair load.
You might get some comments about the wisdom of using a swivel anyway - I need one & picked out the strongest I could find to fit the bow roller. Hope that helps.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:15   #6

Be sure to put some Loctite on the shackle pin & screw it up good & tight. Buy the biggest strongest shackle that will fit the roller & your chain.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:20   #7

OR - if there is enough thread showing on the pin, you could maybe keep the shackle you already have, carefully rivet over the thread end so it cannot undo, then cut off the protruding part on the other end of the pin (the 'pin head').
OR - safest solution - change the bow roller for a bigger wider one...
Old 06-09-2020, 09:28   #8

Boat: PDQ 44i

I can't make a specific recommendation for your application, but since you are a new owner, some general advice may be useful.
The safety of your boat depends on the quality of your ground tackle. Every link in the system from windlass to anchor must meet or exceed your design safe working load.
I understand your wish to find gear that will work with your existing anchor roller, and hope that you can do that. If some compromise must be made, then please don't compromise on the anchor, chain, or shackles. Replace your anchor roller, instead.
Don't buy any ground tackle components from China. Their metallurgy is not to be trusted. Nothing against Chinese people, mind you, but their culture is not your culture. Their metallurgy is not always your metallurgy.
Buy best quality US or EU-made shackles. Shackles are not like eggs; grade A is not the best grade. Grade B shackles are the stronger grade. I personally like Crosby shackles. I like to use two shackles, eye-to-eye, to get a sort of "universal joint" to minimize side-loading of the pin. I have never personally wanted a swivel in my ground tackle, but that's personal preference.
See excellent article at Practical Sailor August 2015, p.7
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:36   #9

Boat: Catalina 36

We had the same issue with the Mantus 35 lb. & Mantus swivel. We decided to change the bow roller to accommodate same.
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 15:12   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I would start with an imbus key (allen) shackle. Permanent Loctite is your friend.

I wouldd be also tempted to consider some form of short Spectra strop. But with this you would need a leather insert on the anchor side - anchors tend to have sharp edges where the shackle goes.

Last ting - how about placing the swivel directly onto the anchor - no fit?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 17:23   #11

Boat: Pearson 530

Weld a link, no swivel.
Old 06-09-2020, 17:44   #12

Boat: Farr 1020

A shackle pin eye can be cut off after fitting. As others said, use lock title and also use a centre punch on the pin to indent at both ends - to prevent it turning. I would use 3 pops each end, decent sized craters right on the pin/shackle join.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 17:55   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
A shackle pin eye can be cut off after fitting. As others said, use lock title and also use a centre punch on the pin to indent at both ends - to prevent it turning. I would use 3 pops each end, decent sized craters right on the pin/shackle join.
Agreed, but with the caveat that you will need to cut the shackle any time you need to remove the anchor in the future.

And you can add my opinion to the others who don't think a swivel is necessary.

Jim
Old 06-09-2020, 19:07   #14

Boat: Bavaria37

Assuming that you intend using galv shackle, then you can replace the pin with a galv hex head bolt and rust then becomes the poor man's loctite. Also, try get a bolt with the longest possible non-threaded part of the shank. I've been yoing this for 10 years and w no problems. Rt.
Glasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 20:28   #15

Hey I was going to put the swivel directly on the anchor but have heard thats not the best route. I do like the idea of cutting off the end of the shackle or find one thats flat. Going to do some more research. So one more question whats the smallest size shackle that it would be safe to have on that anchor?Thank you guys for all the comments. I am really glad i joined this community : )