Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 10:48   #16

Kai, you'd put solid fuel over diesel as far as self sufficiency and long term status goes?

The whole idea of being "self sufficient" on a sailboat is a little crazy to me, considering the amazing amount of chemicals, tools, electrical components, spare parts, and maintenance that even a modest boat requires.

I feel pretty happy with my diesel. It's insanely hot, and I don't have to clean the ash out. Besides, turning it into a solid fuel heater probably wouldn't even be that hard (if we want to talk about end-of-days survivalism); I could probably just jam some charcoal in there right now and light it up that way.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:12   #17
Kai Nui

Solid fuel has a number of advantages.
1) you can get fuel anywhere, including floating in the water.
2) It is a dry heat
3) Ambiance
4) Fuel is free

The down side is:
1) It takes space to store wood
2) The heat has to be carefully controlled as not to overheat and catch things on fire
3) The stove requires attention to keep burning.
4) There is, in my mind, a bigger chance to catch things on fire when loading the stove by hot ash escaping.

I personally feel the benefits outweigh the risk or inconvenience, but I enjoy stoking the fire, and I love the smell of a wood burning stove. I also enjoy the type of heat that comes from solid fuel.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
SAIL SOUTH!!!
My first thought. Except here it's SAIL NORTH!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:47   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Would you have a length of 3" flue pipe available. Need 5" of pipe to finish installation of my Newport heater.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhiatyahoodotcom
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 13:07   #20
Kai Nui

I might when I get to that point, but my guess is that shipping would be more than the cost of the pipe.
Old 12-12-2007, 13:14   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Kai, you'd put solid fuel over diesel as far as self sufficiency and long term status goes?

The whole idea of being "self sufficient" on a sailboat is a little crazy to me, considering the amazing amount of chemicals, tools, electrical components, spare parts, and maintenance that even a modest boat requires.

I feel pretty happy with my diesel. It's insanely hot, and I don't have to clean the ash out. Besides, turning it into a solid fuel heater probably wouldn't even be that hard (if we want to talk about end-of-days survivalism); I could probably just jam some charcoal in there right now and light it up that way.
Of course, I agree with just about everything said in this whole thread. There are basically options and personal preferences. Right now, I'm grappling with the fact that I need to emit no smoke, yet heat my space (on land). The diesel heater didn't put out the whopping heat of a Little Cod, but on the size boat the woman is talking about, you couldn't use a Little Cod anyway. You'd be ROASTED out of there in a hurry. Too hot.

I also agree with Rebel Heart above. The Dickenson could in fact be used ( in a pinch) as a solid fuel heater. You could build a small driftwood fire inside of it without damaging it to any great extent.

I switched BACK to the Little Cod because the original Cod I owned went with my boat when I sold her a couple months back. The Dickenson is not hot enough for my current situation and couldn't put out the walloping 29,000BTU of the Little Cod (way too much for the original poster's boat).

So... I love the Cod so much, I just bought my 2nd one!

The diesel heater stoves (Dickenson, etc...) put out 18,000BTU on max, which is plenty for her size.

Steve: You'll no doubt be warm and cozy in that beautiful pilothouse (or is it a raised salon?) Andrew will set you up.

Anyway, if there is anything I've learned on this board, it's that everyone likes heaters for different reasons. Some like it to be like a house, others like independence, and others like whatever it is they like.

I like these:

*Cooking right on top of my heater to save energy, time and from having to open up for CO
*A good amount of heat (I like 80 degrees inside, even when it's -10 outside)
*I am also partial to stoves that don't take a lot of babysitting. The Dickinson took more effort than the Little Cod, but getting fuel is much MUCH more simple with the Dickenson. Finding wood isn't always easy, unless you make sure to stock up BEFORE it rains or snows.
*Lastly, the self reliance aspect is nice about solid fuel.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 13:25   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
We just met at the boat yesterday and talked it through, and I'm impressed. I'm getting a porcelain version (much less affected by the salt in driftwood, as well as prettier),

Cheers,
Steve
Who you callin' ugly? Not my Little Cod, right? ha ha ha

(joking of course)

I get regular cast iron because I like to be able to re-finish with a little stove black now and then and I like the price. Way less $$ for the same stove.

But... the porcelain is definitely beautiful. Did you decide on a color?
Old 12-12-2007, 14:23   #23

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
But... the porcelain is definitely beautiful. Did you decide on a color?
Hi Sean - really enjoyed meeting Andrew! He's passionate about his work, and had there been any competition in my mind between his products and others, that would have settled it. Besides, ages ago I sold an old Lunenberg Foundry catalog on eBay, so this is curiously full-circle.

Anyway, I'm going with black, which sounds redundant as the cast iron is black anyway, but it just seems to fit best in the boat along with the stainless and wood. The main motive is the resistance to corrosion, but I must admit an aesthetic preference as well...

There will have to be one bit of surgery. The floor opens to reveal the two engine compartments (main turbo-diesel forward and 7.5kw genset aft), and the stove mounting will prevent full vertical position of the hinged panels. For the genset this does not appear to be a problem; for the main I'll have to do a bit of surgery to make the aft segment (about 25%) a lift-out unit and move one hinge to a smaller forward segment. That will let me have quick access for pre-flight checks, fuel polishing, and basic diagnostics. Fortunately, there's an oil changing system and the Racors are quite accessible, so it should be OK... and if I ever have to pull an engine, the stove can be easily removed.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-12-2007, 18:07   #24

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Sex can create much heat and considering your married it should be "free"
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 18:57   #25

Boat: Westsail 32
For those with Little Cod experience...

What size wood works best? We're thinking of getting one and are curious about how small we'll need to cut wood.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 01:00   #26

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. My husband decided for now, since he works 6 days a week, to just get a electric blanket.

Oh well, when I stay on the boat by myself, if it isn't raining, I have the hatch above the V Breth open no matter how cold it is. I love to sleep under the stars! And personally, I don't get cold much, in fact...HOT...HOT...HOT. Damn that thing called age!

To the comment about sleeping together and "making our own heat", that would be great if we agreed on havin the hatch open...I never win so I sleep on the couch. ( don't worry, I still get him "warmed up" and asleep then I move to the couch)

Such is life..LOL
Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 06:23   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
For those with Little Cod experience...

What size wood works best? We're thinking of getting one and are curious about how small we'll need to cut wood.
You need 12" logs. Seasoned, dry hardwood is best (as it is with any stove).

Logs need to be split too.

EDIT: I see you're in Maine. Forget the comment about seasoned, dry hardwood. Who am I to tell you? ha ha 12" is the correct length.
Old 13-12-2007, 06:36   #28

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
A warning...

Just remember that it you carry Kayaks, don't use the logs to build a campfire in them. They'll sink!

You can't have your Kayak and heat it too!
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 06:45   #29
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
need heat? move to Florida. 80F and sunny today. unbelievable.
Old 13-12-2007, 07:00   #30

::Argh!::

Sean, wishing you'd been thinking of selling the Force 10 a couple months ago... Oh well, I installed a Dickinson and am pleased with it's heat output though the inefficiencies are frustrating.

Once upon a time someone was selling a really tiny, we're talking about 12" square, cast iron coal/wood stove. I saw one which had the optional brass detailing on a boat and fell in love with it. But I couldn't find it when I was looking for my stove so I ended up with the diesel. IIRC it was produced in Seattle, but that could be faulty memory.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote