Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 23:24   #1

Need a Cheap Solution ( Homemade ) for Replacement Portlights

I am in the process of renovating a 27’ Bayliner Buccaneer and need a cheep alternative to the ever so pricy opening portlight. Does anyone have a resource or cheep solution, handmade or improvised opening portlight. I am trying to use the preexisting holes that go through the hull, single layer of fiberglass with no core. I will use Plexiglas if I have to, looking to keep the price down to about thirty dollars each. Just can’t justify much more than that, thanks for the suggestions. And yes, the secondhand stores in Seattle have been of little use to me, still too expensive.
James Dieterich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 20:15   #2

Re: Need a Cheap Solution ( Homemade ) for Replacement Portlights.

on both my boats will use cheep 1/4 lexan held with butyl tape no screws...is that simple enough.

cheers

ps. dont let anyone tell you its no good...a friend of mine sailed 17,000miles offshore and still holding many years later.
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 20:18   #3

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Sounds like you got the solution right there:

To make it opening:
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 21:03   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Just out of curiosity, if you have butyl tape, why not through bolt or screw the lexan as well? It would be easy enough to keep water tight and would add strength (and piece of mind). I'm not knocking it, I'm just wondering.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 21:55   #5

Re: Need a Cheap Solution ( Homemade ) for Replacement Portlights

check out petitdelire.com the guy crossed the atlantic with a hinterhoeller 28 (exactly like mine) and his portlights where not bolted in anyway...he says that holes only add weekness...the butyle holds very well and also expands and retracts with wheather...especialy up north hear in montreal where everything freezes over winter...also this guy is much like james from atome voyage and jean du sud...these guys have been there and don that...they speach from experience...what works for them works for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 22:39   #6

Boat: 1983 Bristol 35.5 - "CAPRIOLE" Hull #123

Hey JD. What size ports are you looking for. I took out 4 opening ports from my Bristol 35.5 last summer and have tried to sell them. Frames are in good condition, cast aluminum. Glass could be replaced because of grazing, but viewable. Size: 14.25" x 7 3/8", with hole opening of approx. 12 3/8" x 5 3/8".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B35.5 Opening Port.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	24900  
Old 10-03-2011, 23:51   #7

Looks like they might totally fit the ticket though I may have to resize my openings a bit. The picture was only one-quartered developed with my browser so perhaps you could send it again? What do you want for the package and where do you live? I am here in the North West just outside of Seattle WA.
James Dieterich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:39   #8

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Need a Cheap Solution ( Homemade ) for Replacement Portlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
on both my boats will use cheep 1/4 lexan held with butyl tape no screws...is that simple enough.

cheers

ps. dont let anyone tell you its no good...a friend of mine sailed 17,000miles offshore and still holding many years later.
I'm not saying this won't work but wow! this sure goes against the conventional practice. This can't save more than $100 in sealant and screws can it? How can that be worth the risk?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:45   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSailer View Post
Hey JD. What size ports are you looking for. I took out 4 opening ports from my Bristol 35.5 last summer and have tried to sell them. Frames are in good condition, cast aluminum. Glass could be replaced because of grazing, but viewable. Size: 14.25" x 7 3/8", with hole opening of approx. 12 3/8" x 5 3/8".
I had great luck cleaning up the glass in my ports with FLITZ metal polish. I rubbed by hand, but a power buffer of some sort would make it even faster. It might be worth trying if you have the same issue on any of the ports remaining on your boat.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I'm not saying this won't work but wow! this sure goes against the conventional practice. This can't save more than $100 in sealant and screws can it? How can that be worth the risk?
the op asked for a cheap homemade portlight replacement...it dont get ceaper then this!!!

as for how safe it is we have no point for argument...its been proven across seas in all kind of weather and still good and holding after decades.

the guys using this tecnique see no advantage to drilling and bolting...holes are a potencial risk of failiuer to the glass and water intrusion...it is logical that they ruled this option out.

conventional wisdome is meant to be chalenged...progress!!

what I like about this is that anyone can cut a lexan with a simple jigsaw...clean both surfaces and glue the plexy to the boat ceal it with a nice finishing seam of gaulk and voila...it looks way better then 30 bolts thru your hull from both the interior and exterior.
I have 2 ports on my H28 and 1 on my 41ft that needs to be changed got the lexan to do both in a construction dumpster for free...lets see how much have I actualy saved?????

cheers
Old 11-03-2011, 12:44   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
... conventional wisdome is meant to be chalenged...progress!! ...
Sometimes, conventional wisdom might be what is left working, after all the stupid outside the box concepts have been tried & discredited.
In fact, such wisdom might become “conventional” by working well, time after time.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 13:23   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The cheapest opening ports I've seen were used on a Herreshoff Marco Polo that I crewed aboard many years ago. It requires some plexiglass and some wood and some gasket material. That's all in materials. No fancy stuff. You'd need to look it up in some of Herreshoff's old books. The portlight glass 1/4 or plexiglass 3/8 is held against the inside of the cabin using small wedges both fore and aft and the wedges are wedged against a vertical v-shaped wood bracket both fore and aft. Very hard to describe and a diagram from one his books would be best but I've searched through everything I have and can't find a drawing.
Yes, you can use just butyle tape on plexiglass to hold it in place. Look up sexy windows using the search engine after my signature. However, they are not opening.
Those from Stormsailor look good if they are the right price for you.
kind regards,
Old 11-03-2011, 13:27   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aoha again,

Here is a little bit more complex version with fancy wedges. Page 33

http://www.woodenboat.com/wbmag/pdfs...July10_toc.pdf
Old 11-03-2011, 14:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aoha again,

Here is a little bit more complex version with fancy wedges. Page 33

http://www.woodenboat.com/wbmag/pdfs...July10_toc.pdf
wow the most simple opening ports iv seen...thanks for posting this good idea!!
cheers
Old 11-03-2011, 14:08   #15

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I agree, that's a pretty good idea. Some of my ports are those solid plexi deals with no inner frame, and they are cracked along the hinge line in spots. So, perhaps these are a good replacement.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, portlights