Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2024, 05:17   #1

Boat: 2001 Hunter 340
Name Graphics Removal, Cleaning, and New Application

I removed the old name and port lettering and am looking to prepare the hull and apply the new ones. Here is my plan:

1. Clean hull area with a wax-removing polish. Thinking Meguiar's or similar.
Any recommendations? Some threads in other forums suggest wet sanding with as low as 600 through 2000 to remove residual letter shadows. Any experience with that being too much work for not enough reward?

2. Clean with rubbing alcohol and prepare surface.
Other options or recommendations?

3. Apply new graphics according to directions. Probably using the wet method.

4. Wax/Polish.
Again, looking for recommendations on products. Any advice on wax/polishing over new graphics?

I know I'm never going to get the hull looking new before I apply the new graphics. The old lettering came of easily enough and there is the typical 'shadow' color difference between the hull and where the letters were. Just looking to get it as cleaned and as possible and minimize the residual shadowed letters as much as I can.
SV-Essayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 05:38   #2

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Re: Name Graphics Removal, Cleaning, and New Application

Get the old shadows out!

Depending on how bad it is, you might get lucky and just be able to buff them out with some compound and a wheel. If not, wet paper sanding. Test a small area first to see what you need to do.

I think it looks bad to have the old name of the boat visible in certain sunlight conditions.
massnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 05:40   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I'm a bit confused: were your old graphics vinyl?
Are your new graphics to be vinyl? (maybe I'm going blind?)

I've got a number of different solvents - Acetone, Methylated Spirits, Turpentine and "All purpose thinners"

All Purpose Multi Thinners
It is a clear bright solvent with high solvency. General-purpose thinners also are known as all-purpose thinners, multi thinner and thinners is a common thinner used within the paints and coatings industry. Paint thinner is used as a cleaner and to thin out oil-based paints

I have had great success with All Purpose Thinners
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 06:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'm a bit confused: were your old graphics vinyl?
Are your new graphics to be vinyl? (maybe I'm going blind?)

I've got a number of different solvents - Acetone, Methylated Spirits, Turpentine and "All purpose thinners"

All Purpose Multi Thinners
It is a clear bright solvent with high solvency. General-purpose thinners also are known as all-purpose thinners, multi thinner and thinners is a common thinner used within the paints and coatings industry. Paint thinner is used as a cleaner and to thin out oil-based paints

I have had great success with All Purpose Thinners
Yes. Old lettering appeared to be vinyl and peeled away with any glue left behind rubbing off fairly easily. New lettering will be vinyl.
Old 22-05-2024, 06:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Get the old shadows out!

Depending on how bad it is, you might get lucky and just be able to buff them out with some compound and a wheel. If not, wet paper sanding. Test a small area first to see what you need to do.

I think it looks bad to have the old name of the boat visible in certain sunlight conditions.
Thanks. Any recommendations for type of wheel and compound?
Old 22-05-2024, 09:10   #6

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Essayons View Post
I removed the old name and port lettering and am looking to prepare the hull and apply the new ones. Here is my plan:

1. Clean hull area with a wax-removing polish. Thinking Meguiar's or similar.
Any recommendations? Some threads in other forums suggest wet sanding with as low as 600 through 2000 to remove residual letter shadows. Any experience with that being too much work for not enough reward?
We've done hundreds and 3M Perfect-it is what we use... if it's even possible to even it out. You should be working the area around the old letters. The area where the letters were is the area that has been protected from U/V.

Quote:

2. Clean with rubbing alcohol and prepare surface.
Other options or recommendations?
Alcohol is great. When you rub your finger across the surface and it has a nice squeaky feel, you're gold.

Quote:
3. Apply new graphics according to directions. Probably using the wet method.
This is fine. If you do go this route, just have patience. The graphics don't want to initially adhere to damp surfaces in marine environments. Paper application tape over clear application tape works best, as you can wet the application tape to remove it from your graphics easily.

Quote:
4. Wax/Polish.
Again, looking for recommendations on products. Any advice on wax/polishing over new graphics?
Don't wax your vinyl, and don't wax up to the edge of your vinyl. This is how vinyl graphics "lift" from the surface. Wax at the edge of graphics interferes with adhesion. Wax around your vinyl.

Quote:
I know I'm never going to get the hull looking new before I apply the new graphics. The old lettering came of easily enough and there is the typical 'shadow' color difference between the hull and where the letters were. Just looking to get it as cleaned and as possible and minimize the residual shadowed letters as much as I can.
It looks like you got this.
I would only recommend using high-performance vinyl, which is cast vinyl, it is slightly more difficult to apply, but will last many years.

Don't use Calendered vinyl; it's thicker and will shrink, creating a glue outline that will be ugly and frustrating.

The above also applies to acrylics like windows. Always use Cast over Calendered.

Good Luck.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 09:31   #7

Thank you, Iron E

This is very helpful.
Old 22-05-2024, 13:37   #8

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Buff it with TEC 526 Black Cherry. You may need to get it at an autobody supply store. It will remove the shadows from the old lettering and leave a very nice shine after applying it with a buffing pad. Ask the salesman for specific directions. Don't apply wax before the new lettering has been installed.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, removal