Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 01:31   #1

Moody 33 MK 1

Hi everyone, I have just bought a moody 33 mk1, she needs some tlc to bring her back to her former glory. She was re rigged a few years ago and the original engine is good and has been looked after, the hull is sound with very little osmosis. She is out of the water at the moment. The following work needs to be done.
New main sail and jib.
New furler
Spray hood, Dodgers and sail bag
New upholstery
New running rigging
All windows replacing (hatches are ok)
Could any of you please give me ball park costs for these works, also does anyone know of someone in the Harwich area the would be able to do the windows for me. Unfortunately I live in Portsmouth and can only get up to Harwich for a few hours on Sundays. Thank you
kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 02:38   #2

Re: Moody 33 MK 1

New main sail and jib: £3-4000 including a stack-pack type bag from an independent sailmaker. Perhaps more from one of the big names.
Spray hood and dodgers: I know of a quote for £2000 for a sprayhood. Perhaps £200 for dodgers.

Running rigging - look for prices for reels or ends-of-reels. Do you need to replace ALL your running rigging in one go? Surely some is still serviceable?
Sorry, can't help with the rest.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 02:43   #3

Thanks for your help I’m sure some running rigging will be ok but would like to start with all new I will look on line as you suggest, once again thanks for your help.
kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 03:24   #4

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

If you join the MOA there will be a lot of great info on exactly your boat. Also many suppliers etc offer discounts. Well worth a look
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 03:49   #5

CJ marine do a spray hood for moody 33 about 900 quid for the cheapest version. I got dodgers from them for my moody 33 mk1 £120.
irish sea lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 03:59   #6

I replaced the windows myself, just get some UV stabilised polycarbonate sheet. It’s a few years ago now, but I think I used 8mm. The frames come out easy enough, just use the old stuff as templates.
irish sea lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 04:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin123 View Post
Hi everyone, I have just bought a moody 33 mk1, she needs some tlc to bring her back to her former glory. She was re rigged a few years ago and the original engine is good and has been looked after, the hull is sound with very little osmosis. She is out of the water at the moment. The following work needs to be done.
New main sail and jib.
New furler
Spray hood, Dodgers and sail bag
New upholstery
New running rigging
All windows replacing (hatches are ok)
Could any of you please give me ball park costs for these works, also does anyone know of someone in the Harwich area the would be able to do the windows for me. Unfortunately I live in Portsmouth and can only get up to Harwich for a few hours on Sundays. Thank you
For upholstery I budget £100 a cushion.

For Sails - my boat was not worth investing £3 -4k and I bought second hand on ebay and from local sailmaker- but that takes time and I have bought some duds (which I resold with a more accurate description).
boatsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 08:12   #8

I ordered a new main with stack pack and after 2 years I found that I now prefer a regular main with a standard sail cover. My own lazy jacks.

Stitching on zipper tends to self destruct early. Rain can infiltrate though the zipper and lie in pocket. Drag on pack when sail is up.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:15   #9

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I bought a Westerly Storm 33 last year and whilst she was in generally good condition, I am now doing some updates. One or two of the prices quoted above seem high to me.

I had a new sprayhood made for last boat a 29 foot Beneteau and that was about £450 if I recall. One for a Moody 33 would be a bit bigger, but not that much bigger.

I am having a new stackapack made for my Westerly and it will be about £400.

I have also just had a new jib furler fitted. This was expensive. I looked at all the furler options at the Southampton Boat show. I have ballpark prices from that. In the end I opted for a Facnor (who weren’t at the show). It has cost me over £2k but I won’t know the final price until I know the rigger’s bill. Taking the mast down and re-erecting it will be £200.

One thing you need to careful of is the bolt size on your jib. Some of new furlers have narrower grooves than the old ones. But if you are ordering a new jib that shouldn’t be a problem. But it's worth checking.

Pm me if you want more information on furlers.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote