Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2019, 16:25   #1

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum
Mast Replacement

Hello Cruisers Forum,
My one-of-a-kind 39' foot yawl, s/v Mare Nostrum, launched in 1968, currently has a main mast made of wood, with an aluminum sleeve and covered in fiberglass. I do not know its weight. In late 2017, the below-deck to hull part rotted slightly and we replaced with an aluminum piece.
I have now been offered a used replacement main mast made of aluminum. (Weight unknown.)
The current main mast is 49'2" tall; the aluminum mast is 60´7" tall (including below deck.) Distance below deck to the bottom mount is 5´9".

The boom contact length with the mainsail is 18' 3". At this point, I see no reason to change the boom.

I would be most thankful for any thoughts regarding this possible mast change.

Fair skies and following sea for all!

Roberto
s/v Mare Nostrum
Acapulco
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 18:35   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mast Replacement

hay roberto. long time no hear. wondered where ye went. i just finished making my mizzenmast repairs for my formosa, here in mazatlan-- scarfed in new pieces, so far so good. still need to rerig it.
are you able to do this with yours, or is it toast???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 11:14   #3

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hay roberto. long time no hear. wondered where ye went. i just finished making my mizzenmast repairs for my formosa, here in mazatlan-- scarfed in new pieces, so far so good. still need to rerig it.
are you able to do this with yours, or is it toast???
We are fine---life just got a bit hectic so have not been up your way lately. I wish you Godspeed on your mizzen and other repairs! It is not yet an "emergency"---but am liking the idea of updating the mast to aluminum. I really hope to sail from Acapulco to the Med in a couple of years. A cousin of mine in Israel even has a berth ready for me in Haifa!!

When do you estimate to be back on the open ocean??
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 11:55   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Nostrum View Post
We are fine---life just got a bit hectic so have not been up your way lately. I wish you Godspeed on your mizzen and other repairs! It is not yet an "emergency"---but am liking the idea of updating the mast to aluminum. I really hope to sail from Acapulco to the Med in a couple of years. A cousin of mine in Israel even has a berth ready for me in Haifa!!

When do you estimate to be back on the open ocean??
at the current rate of progress, mebbe hopefully 2 ish more years.
if all workers here get religion and i inherit millions, next week hahahahahaha

oh and i know of a beautiful 40 ish foot aluminum mast here in mazatlan sitting at a friends house leaning against his outer walls.... is gorgeous. looks like a sloop mast--heavy duty and awesome. wanna come to mazatlan????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 12:12   #5

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Considering all the repairs to your existing, cobbled together main mast, the replacement aluminum mast sounds like a no-brainer. Since you are keel stepped, I assume you have checked that the replacement mast section will fit through the partners.
The too long relacement mast will also allow you to cut off the existing base to good metal, where corrosion is common.
Go for it.
(Former owner of wood sloop with wood mast. Never going back).
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, men