Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2010, 08:05   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Just out of curiosity,

I doubt that you are racing your Irwin 41, so why the modifications to meet racing regs?

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 08:10   #17

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
That thing is too pretty not to polish! If you dont, YOU will know it's down there, lookin' all ugly and whatnot... Great work!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 09:21   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate View Post
Just out of curiosity,

I doubt that you are racing your Irwin 41, so why the modifications to meet racing regs?
We do plan on the Swiftsure and the Van-Isle 360...Possibly Vic-Maui

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 15:21   #19

OK Y'all said I had to polish this thing so i started in on it today.

CharlieCobra and I had a phone discussion about how to go about it and we agreed I might have bought to aggressive of wheels at 80 and 120 grit.. So it was agreed I should experiment with the bottom first and see how it went...Well it worked great and so I turned it over and went after it...in about 30 min I had this...95 % of all water jet cutting marks are gone, edges rounded as well as welding slag and splatter spots gone and 100% of the oxidization is gone...as well as 95% of the press break tooling marks.

Yes its all minutely scratched up but I know this will come right out with 220 next followed by 400.

OK ...so I am not a perfectionist....never claimed to be one...but I sleep well at night..

So.....How far down on the grit scale am I going to have to go to get that mirror finish.........you'all want.?...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast Bace-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	13981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast Base Polish step 1&2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	13982  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buffing tools.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	13983  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 19-03-2010, 15:34   #20

You do get used to it...

I've spent the last couple of weeks drilling and tapping dozens of holes all over my mast...

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 15:50   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Yes its all minutely scratched up but I know this will come right out with 220 next followed by 400.

OK ...so I am not a perfectionist....never claimed to be one...but I sleep well at night..

So.....How far down on the grit scale am I going to have to go to get that mirror finish.........you'all want.?...
Oh my..... You can work up to 1500 or 2000 grit before changing over to compound and the polishing wheels....

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 16:06   #22

Dang!.... that's exactly what Charlie told me ...I was hoping he was kidding...

OK...............Well.............. we might just go for the muddy, is that really you in the mirror quality sort of thing then..

Old 19-03-2010, 17:13   #23

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Go to 400, then hit it with an aggressive rouge, followed by a finishing rouge...good enough for govt. work... you do have a set of buffing wheels, right?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 18:58   #24
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Dang!.... that's exactly what Charlie told me ...I was hoping he was kidding...

OK...............Well.............. we might just go for the muddy, is that really you in the mirror quality sort of thing then..
It's not good enough till you have gotten past the rubbing compound to the polishing compound and made it to the tooth paste step (with the softbrush)!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 19:41   #25

Boat: PETERSON 44
here is what I found. given It looks like its the S.S your polishing. Belt sanding or discs work well. If you belt sand up to 220 0r 360 thats good. Depends on how worn the disk is. Buffing with a Sisal wheel and the dark compound should not anything else down. Then you get the green stuff - rouge and the appropriate wheel. Glasses right out. You can cut more fine scratches faster with a buffing wheel then you can sanding. My experience so far. Electroplating could be an option but I prefer spending my lunch time with verying compound splatterd about. The green stuff is really good for straightening curly hair.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 19:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Go to 400, then hit it with an aggressive rouge, followed by a finishing rouge...good enough for govt. work... you do have a set of buffing wheels, right?
Man after my own heart..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
It's not good enough till you have gotten past the rubbing compound to the polishing compound and made it to the tooth paste step (with the softbrush)!
Your Back in form... Funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
here is what I found. given It looks like its the S.S your polishing. Belt sanding or discs work well. If you belt sand up to 220 0r 360 thats good. Depends on how worn the disk is. Buffing with a Sisal wheel and the dark compound should not anything else down. Then you get the green stuff - rouge and the appropriate wheel. Glasses right out. You can cut more fine scratches faster with a buffing wheel then you can sanding. My experience so far. Electroplating could be an option but I prefer spending my lunch time with verying compound splatterd about. The green stuff is really good for straightening curly hair.
Yep the Derlin is shinny enough..

Thanks for the tip...I will google Sisal wheel...and Im a heck of a splatter myself..

I Don't have the money for the fancy chemical polishing right now...Time I'v got.

Old 19-03-2010, 20:39   #27

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Get some Scotch-Brite pads and skip some of the finer grits. Red first then grey. They will bring it to almost a polished condition.

BTW I still have that nitric acid if you need a little to brush on.
Old 19-03-2010, 21:12   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Here is the new mast base...should I bother polishing it?...Is there any benefit?
Scott,

I have had great luck having stuff electropolished. I have a company here in Maine that would charge me about $45.00 for that piece. That piece would take me hours to do myself so electro can be a good deal.

Edit: Never mind I see you already started!

P.S. Buy good quality buffing wheels or you'll be wearing cotton..
Old 19-03-2010, 21:27   #29

Boat: PETERSON 44
caswell industries
.Caswell Inc. - Sisal Buffing Wheel
their compounds are better then others especially the heavy cut for stainless. I have a bar from another outfit that is just a bar does not cut. my experience. Electroplate is great I am a screw it up myselfer though.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 21:40   #30

Thanks Guys!

Main: I figured it would be about as expensive a chrome plating...I wasn't going there...live and learn..I will have more than that in buying all the polishing stuff....Oh well...Im tinkering!..woohoo!...

Tags
mast