Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2019, 17:14   #16

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 37
Re: LP Monitor Breaker Keeps Popping ???

So here's what's happening, I checked the breaker to see if it was getting hot while the switch was on and the stove was going for an extended amount of time and it was not. I checked the solenoid to see if it is overheating and causing the breaker to trip and it was quite hot so I am assuming the solenoid is toast after 40 years of operation and will replace it. I'll let you all know if this gets sorted out. Thanks for the responses.
pkdailey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 18:59   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Solenoids get hot, they are a dead short.
My belief is that they are cooled somewhat by the cold propane flowing through them, it’s cold of course cause it’s boiling off in the tank.
While it’s likely you do have a bad one, getting hot isn’t an indicator of a bad one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 13:40   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Solenoids get hot, they are a dead short.
My belief is that they are cooled somewhat by the cold propane flowing through them, it’s cold of course cause it’s boiling off in the tank.
While it’s likely you do have a bad one, getting hot isn’t an indicator of a bad one.

They shouldn’t be hot, slightly warm maybe but hot never
Old 24-06-2019, 14:19   #19

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

A properly operating solenoid will be warm/very warm to the touch. Like 120*F or less warm. Heat makes more resistance which makes more heat which makes more resistance.... Do they normally get warm? Yes. I don't know about the propane acting as a coolant though. I have replaced four solenoids on other people's boats for shorting out and blowing the fuse. Each one was HOT to the touch when operating. Like burn your finger tip hot Fuse would blow after anywhere from instantly to three to 5 minutes.

Simply way to find out if the solenoid is the problem is take it out of the system and see if the fuse still blows. Good solenoid will draw about 6 amps at 12V. If the draw goes up over time the solenoid may be the source of your problem.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor