Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2013, 10:27   #16

Boat: Columbia 24
Re: Living aboard a 25 ft while crossing oceans

trapoc,
Sounds like an ambitious and potentially rewarding project. I had a Morgan 24 which is a pretty heavy boat for its size (5000 lbs). The PO had added stiffening to the hull which I presume was to ameliorate "oil-canning". The stiffening was laid up from 1/2-inch PVC tubing overlaid by FG tape. These stiffeners were diagonal to the keel and extended up to approximately the waterline. They were about a foot apart. The reason I think the boat had an issue was that there was a long span under the 1/4 berths without any bulkheads. The stiffeners seemed to do the job. Probably, adding some bulkheads would have been better though. I only mention this since you have the boat gutted so you have an opportunity to add this kind of strengthening. I want to suggest this in preference to balsa coring, especially below the waterline.
I think moving the chainplates to the outer surface of the hull is a good idea, as well.
Like you, I enjoy modifying old boats. My current boat is a 1964 Columbia 24.
-Chris
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 10:32   #17

Good luck Trapoc. I'm a pilot not a sailor. Always leave yourself an avenue of escape. Please let us know how it goes.

Dan
dano098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 10:32   #18

Don't you know that its dangerous out there, you might get killed.
Next you'll be wanting a motorbike.. oh wait.............
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 10:56   #19

Boat: Newport 30 mk11

Well everyone if I listened to all the nay sayers in my life I would not have acomplished 1/10th of the things I have already. I wouldn't have ridden my motorcycle across mexico and the lower 48, I wouldn't have built the many things that I have in my life. I want to thank Cheechako and all of the other positive thinkers for the advise. So anyone else that can add advise pertaining to the construction of my boat I greatly would appreciate it. Thanks again Charley
trapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:00   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapoc View Post
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK I SHOULDN'T BUILD THIS BOAT PLEASE REFRAIN FROM COMMENTING THANK YOU
Sorry trapoc but this is an open forum and just as you are free to ask questions other members are free to comment and give their advise, whether you like it or not.

For the cruising agenda you stated I think your plans are reasonable, maybe not the cheapest, easiest or best way to get there but if you're locked in to this deal then, with the boat properly rebuilt and with appropriate skill and care as the captain I don't think it's any more dangerous than usual.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:37   #21

Skipmac I'm sorry but the topic is about rebuilding not about whether or not to rebuild. So from now on I will regard your comments as useless. They have no substantive value to me if you don't have experience in building, upgrading or sailing on the type of vessel I have presented in this forum. I have read a lot of comments on this site and there is always someone who shares your opinion. So for now I say "Good Day"
Old 31-10-2013, 11:41   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Skipmac I'm sorry but the topic is about rebuilding not about whether or not to rebuild. So from now on I will regard your comments as useless. They have no substantive value to me if you don't have experience in building, upgrading or sailing on the type of vessel I have presented in this forum. I have read a lot of comments on this site and there is always someone who shares your opinion. So for now I say "Good Day"
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:45   #23

Eumelia that is good advise I was worried about the balsa taking on moisture even if it were completely encapsulated. I have already bought the balsa because I am repairing some rot around the window frames. The half inch pvc was it the white or black kind and was it hollow? Thanks Charley
Old 31-10-2013, 11:45   #24

Boat: Vancouver 27

You've got the boat gutted so it's pretty much a clean slate. Maybe it's not the ideal ocean going vessel, but you can certainly make it one. Clearly it's not the most efficient way to go when you have to re-engineer everything, but hey..ocean-going vessels are built from less all the time (scratch). (That said, if I was in your shoes...I saw a bare hull Nor'Sea 27 for sale for $2000 recently..something like that).

I think others have already nailed the important stuff as it relates to the boat itself. Strengthening the hull with stringers/bulkheads and making sure you rig is strong enough to withstand a knockdown are two big ones in my mind.

Having built your boat from the hull up and thus knowing and taking ownership of every system on-board already gives you a better basis for voyaging then I would say many others have.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:47   #25

Artif I can handle your kind of humor. lol
Old 31-10-2013, 11:50   #26

Laika thanks for your comment. Now does anyone want to share their sources for obtaining equipment I need at fair prices? Thanks Charley
Old 31-10-2013, 12:06   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
I would consider adding stiffeners in the flatter areas of the bow. Don't know whether level or diagonal would be better. If you are adding bulkheads there then level.

Are you going to build in water tanks or install poly tanks? Built in you get more gallons for the space and the needed baffles can do double duty as stiffening bulkheads. The trade off is the amount of work involved and the extra details that would need to be worked out.

If the boat is gutted, does that include the sole? On most of the Cal's there is a beam that runs under the mast that does a very good job resolving the mast forces. The mast lands on the beam at mid span and tabs stick up on both side to bolt to the bulkheads. Down thrust goes thru the beam rather than the hull and floors.

Have you considered sealing off different parts of the boat with these new bulkheads to make watertight compartments?

What's the plans for the shrouds, are you converting to double lowers?

Are you considering an inner removable forestay for a staysail?

Both would need some new bulkheads for chain plates.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:07   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh, so I support your plan to rebuild the boat but because I say something about this is an open forum I'm now the enemy.

Sure, have a nice day yourself.
Old 31-10-2013, 12:11   #29

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I suggest getting some advice from a sail boat designer/engineer... some one that can advise you on the strength, weight, rigging issues etc.

Also consider what my husband advised me on....I like to make jewelry as a hobby. He said "use the very best materials (metals and stones)you can, because it will be the same amount of labor you will expend making the item, but the one that started out with incorporating the best materials will be worth much more. " He was right!
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:15   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Yep. Guess being polite gets overlooked sometimes.

Tags
living aboard