Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2024, 07:04   #1

Boat: Beurtschip 1922 24m
Laying an MFD flat in Cockpit

I am replacing a 7in MFD that is mounted on an arch in front of the wheel. As I will replace it with a 12in screen, I want to position it on the pedestal (a slightly raked platform. It will mean repositioning the compass etc but it will ensure I don’t end up with a bloody great screen in my face! My question is: what are your thoughts on mounting an MFD almost flat in an exposed area. I assume the biggest issue will be sunlight reflection?

Hopefully the attachments will work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Binnacle Front.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	288080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Binnacle Rear.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	288081  

Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 07:48   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Laying an MFD flat in Cockpit

I would not lay it flat, It will be harder to read. I would instead to what I did. Redesign the top of the pedestal. Looks like you have a box already. I originally had a Binnacle compass, and a fairly traditional pod type arangement on struts. I got fed up of it getting in the way and built a new pod for the pedestal that integrated into the rest of the pedestal. As my compass needed a rebuild anyway the repair shop converted it to deck mount for me also. This setup will have switches on the wing to the left, Speed and Depth in the 2 vertical holes on the left. A 9 inch Axiom in the middle and Wind over AP in the vertical holes on the right.

Its a bit of a journey to make it look like this. Started with a lot of thinking, some CAD (Cardboard aided Design) then a MFD plug, then molds and then the final part in 2 pieces that then needed to be glassed together and grafted onto the original pedestal.

You can see the new and old pedestals in the images
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pedestal.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	288084   Click image for larger version

Name:	old_pedestal.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	288085  

pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 03:38   #3

Boat: Beurtschip 1922 24m

That’s a nice upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I would not lay it flat, It will be harder to read. I would instead to what I did. Redesign the top of the pedestal. Looks like you have a box already. I originally had a Binnacle compass, and a fairly traditional pod type arangement on struts. I got fed up of it getting in the way and built a new pod for the pedestal that integrated into the rest of the pedestal. As my compass needed a rebuild anyway the repair shop converted it to deck mount for me also. This setup will have switches on the wing to the left, Speed and Depth in the 2 vertical holes on the left. A 9 inch Axiom in the middle and Wind over AP in the vertical holes on the right.

Its a bit of a journey to make it look like this. Started with a lot of thinking, some CAD (Cardboard aided Design) then a MFD plug, then molds and then the final part in 2 pieces that then needed to be glassed together and grafted onto the original pedestal.

You can see the new and old pedestals in the images
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 05:37   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabble View Post
That’s a nice upgrade.
Thanks. There is a few weeks of evenings with cardboard in front of all of that to figure out roughly want I wanted. your Pedestal looks like it could easily take a mod like mine. Its already got a screw on lid and the compass looks convertable to deck mount. I would think a box with an angled front to take the plotter and instuments and the compass on top. Something like this:

pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit