Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2023, 22:13   #1

Boat: Jeanneau
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42 DS window replacement

Hello. I am new to the forum but have been reading all the sorry tails of the design on the Sun Odyssey 42 DS. The windows are all designed with the bonded fixing method, as you would find with a car. The problem is that cars rarely sit all year in the sun and salt water environment!. My boat, and I must add that I love her, is a 2008 model and based in and around the Med.

I have the same issue only on the port side. I guess which side goes first is usually the afternoon sun side when your moored up.

So I have been thinking, while reading. I have 3 options. The first is to dig out the old Sikaflex, repair a few small cracks using a Dremel and repair and replace the periphery Sikaflex. Or two, remove the existing windows and re-bond, but I have read stories of them breaking in two on removal. Mine too are looking externally tired. The black coating has started to wear off and so needs repainting too. Thirdly to have them professionally replaced with new.

Here is my issue-I have asked Shepherds in Gibraltar for a quote, plus suppliers in Germany and the UK. The prices start with Shepherds because they don’t pay tax and go up to Euros 1700 each. shepherd are Euros 1350 each window to buy plus shipping. Furthermore these are from Jeanneau and they don’t have any more side windows. This is extortionate for two small plexiglass windows and 6x my front Land Rover Discovery front window with all its bells and whistles. These items are now considered a perishable item, without suitable replacements Boats will become unusable. Does this seem a correct price, has anyone been offered anything different please, if so where, mindful that I am in Europe? I am considering having tooling made and a few sets. If I did this would anyone want to come in with me? I would be most grateful for a response and help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window-Lemon-and-LIme.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	276602  
Phil Sympnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:07   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS
Re: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42 DS window replacement

Phil, thank you for your post and what a shame nobody replied to it! I note that you have taken the matter further and there is now an article about the whole sorry issue in PBO - https://www.pbo.co.uk/all-latest-pos...rce=SmartBrief
My boat is in Gib and I hope that I do not experience the same issues. I suspect that my having always used sun covers on the bonded windows should not lead to smugness. If you want me to have a chat to Sheppards when I am next in Gib let me know.
In the meantime, this seems to me to be yet another instance of Jeanneau not caring a fig about supporting their end users. I say end, as they try and fob everything off to dealers. Getting a direct contact with them is a real problem.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 15:44   #3

Hello Atilia. Thank you for the reply. Your right to start with I had a few helpful people who talked about rebonding the windows but none on the supply of new ones. I think though that I am about sorted now as I have found a Portuguese manufacture only 10km from my Marina. He needs my windows as a pattern but then he can make any quantity. Also the price is a fraction of Jeanneaus price. I enquired at Shepards. They were very helpful and although they are Jeanneau dealers they couldn’t do a complete set as Jeanneau had stopped supplying. They also don’t manufacture in Gib so I moved on. Let’s hope you don’t have the same issue! Best wishes Phil
Old 10-01-2024, 01:02   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Phil, glad that you seem to be on the home stretch.
What I can add to my original reply is that if you can actually get hold of Jeanneau themselves their data is actually very good. As far as I can tell from my own experience, everything they do which involves cutting is digitally recorded as a set of CNC measurements. Further, they have step by step videos as to the install of components on the boat. I know all that because a cowboy firm in La Linea called MH completely messed up my stern shaft. Sheppards got me a new fibreglass shaft from Jeanneau and also helped me get the videos.
Obviously I do not know if this applies to glass, but if it does then that might be of great help in ensuring that measurements and technique are spot on.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 07:51   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Sympnds View Post
Hello Atilia. Thank you for the reply. Your right to start with I had a few helpful people who talked about rebonding the windows but none on the supply of new ones. I think though that I am about sorted now as I have found a Portuguese manufacture only 10km from my Marina. He needs my windows as a pattern but then he can make any quantity. Also the price is a fraction of Jeanneaus price. I enquired at Shepards. They were very helpful and although they are Jeanneau dealers they couldn’t do a complete set as Jeanneau had stopped supplying. They also don’t manufacture in Gib so I moved on. Let’s hope you don’t have the same issue! Best wishes Phil
Dear Phil, might you suggset the company is working for you, to build templates? these would be valuables for all the other owners with the same problem.
Spritz2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 08:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritz2011 View Post
Dear Phil, might you suggset the company is working for you, to build templates? these would be valuables for all the other owners with the same problem.
Hello. I am indeed having Moulds fabricated for each of the windows. I have a price now and my first set is around €3000 and this includes the Moulds. Thereafter each set is between €1800 and €2000. Over the next three weeks I begin the work. I will remove the front windows first and have the new ones made. These will be ready by the second week of March. I will need a week to refit then remove the port windows and repeat. I aim to have all the windows replaced by the beginning of June. I am planning to put together a YouTube of the whole process and give details of the windows. I don’t know yet if I will sell the windows myself as ready to fit or just give the name of the manufacturer, only he won’t complete the grit and primed edges.
Old 09-02-2024, 17:21   #7

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Sorry if it has been mentioned before but have you been in contact with
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42i owners

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2023385507903874/
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau, men, wind