Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2020, 11:17   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Is there life left in this teak deck?

Just curious, do teak decks have any meaningful advantages? Most of the boats on my wish list come with teak decks which is beginning to dramatically alter my wish list as I'm not sure I want anything to do with teak decks - interior and cockpit maybe okay as I'm not adverse to teak as a wood but for decks, I just can't see the value in it.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 11:42   #17

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Mine looked almost in the same shape. Main Deck | Sailing Vessel Vigah

I did have some core I had to replace. Stbd aft cockpit | Sailing Vessel Vigah

Takes a lot of patience and a fair bit of work.
Old 21-05-2020, 11:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Just curious, do teak decks have any meaningful advantages? Most of the boats on my wish list come with teak decks which is beginning to dramatically alter my wish list as I'm not sure I want anything to do with teak decks - interior and cockpit maybe okay as I'm not adverse to teak as a wood but for decks, I just can't see the value in it.
They are mostly aesthetic but non-skid and (usually) quite comfortable underfoot. They do require maintenance and they can be subject to deck leaks if not properly installed or properly maintained. For some of us they are a serious no-no for others like myself, I like them, I found the maintenance not overwhelming and they would not be a no-go. I am more concerned about leaky fuel tanks, cobbed up electrical, keel bolts, blisters, plumbing systems and so forth. The OP is looking at a classic Cheoy Lee and I, being somewhat of a purist would want to keep it original.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 12:12   #19

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird100x View Post
Do you think this teak deck can be resuscitated? If so, how should it be done?

(I am contemplating the purchase of this 1966 Cheoy Lee. All boat systems seem solid but the wood has not been maintained. My goal is to get another decade of life before a more drastic solution must be put into play. All input is truly appreciated.)
I bought a used 1979 boat with a teak deck over a cored glass deck. The first thing we did was remove the teak and fill the 1,000 screw holes that let water into the deck core. Then we put down 5 layers of 17 oz bi-axial cloth over the cored deck. That was 30 years ago. No more teak. No more worries. No more leaky-teaky.

If you can walk on your boat and feel soft spots in the deck, be aware that the whole deck might be needing replacement. You might fall through the deck before you get another 10 years from it. If it has core rot, I would not trust the boat off shore. Be very thoughtful and careful.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 12:30   #20

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Only replace or repair a teak deck if you love teak and you enjoy doing the yearly upkeep.

On our boat we have the "Teak Reduction Act". I remove some topsides teak every year. As we get older, we have a little less work to do every year.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 12:47   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hard to say from pictures. I bet it looks worse than it really is. Most of the actual teak looks fine. Some rough spots, but generally OK. Needs some re-caulking for sure. But that's just the standard maintenance for these kinds of boats.

Leaks into the cored deck is an issue. But that's an issue for all older boats with cored decks (which is most boats). Lots more opportunity with screwed in decks, but the issue is the same.

As you can imagine, I have an old teak deck. When I bought my boat, 10 years ago, it was is good shape. Now, after a decade of use, I'm having to do some serious re-caulking, and I have some water intrusion issues, but nothing critical (yet ). But the deck itself is still in good shape.

Personally, I like the teak deck. It feels great underfoot. It is wonderful non-skid in all conditions. And it is aesthetically pleasing. I wouldn't race to remove it unless it was seriously failing, or you really don't like teak.
Old 21-05-2020, 12:51   #22

That can be belt and orbital sanded to look like new. But the caulking is probably shot also. A huge job. Many or all teak plugs will likely need replaced before you are done. You will likely find screws are in mush wood and planks that need replacing..... and when you are done you will have a ton of rotten wood on that Cheoy Lee under deck, in the cabin, in the cockpit and under everything.
It's really too bad because so many of those Cheoy Lees were such pretty designs... but RUN!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 13:20   #23

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

I had a 1966 Chole Lee 33' Clipper ketch with similar looking decks and found that they leaked around the loose and/or missing bungs. The underlaying deck was thin fiberglass over CHEAP plywood sandwiched between another thin layer of glass. Of course the plywood was rotten. The sides of the cabin are only thin teak veneer(appox 3/8) again over plywood.

RUN, don't walk away from the money pit. With the price of teak($26.00 per board foot) you will never recoop your investment.

Good Luck.

just sayin'

Jewt S/V Bifrost 8 44' Morgan CC
New Bern, NC
Old 21-05-2020, 13:28   #24

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

In a 1966 vintage boat the teak decks are likely to be teak planks over plywood on wood beams - no core, no fiberglass - start by confirming that. If so, it is a different problem from teak over fiberglass, which is different than teak over cored fiberglass. And looking at the house this is clearly a wooden superstructure, not wood over fiberglass. In an all-wood deck the teak is part of the structure, not just there for bling. If laid well, and considering the vintage this is very high quality teak, there is no reason for leaks other than not maintaining it. Leaks should be rare, and quickly fixed. The risk of leaks is to the underlying plywood; the teak will usually not be a problem. Over the years a few planks may erode more than others and need replacing, especially under the shrouds where rainwater sheets off - normal maintenance. The caulking will age and need replacing every decade or two. And as the teak wears (actually it is mostly water erosion) it may be necessary to refasten the deck to lower the fasteners, then re-plug and sand. The end of the teak is when it can't be refastened and plugged anymore, because it is getting thin - around 3/8".

The upshot is that the thickness of the teak is the first concern, as is the condition of the under-deck plywood. If there is sufficient teak left to fasten and plug, and the under-deck is sound, then this can be brought back to an attractive and sound deck - in spite of its rough look. If not, then either laying down new teak or replacing with fiberglass on top, are the (expensive) options. And unless you are somewhere you can still find old Burmese teak you probably don't want to lay teak. And the deck aside, there is a lot of work to do on the other woods (I would just paint them and forget the varnish on the sides), so it would have to be a bargain to be of interest, and even then this is just for those who like doing wood maintenance, otherwise the cost to bringing it up with hired labor is far too high - just buy another boat.

My own experience with Carina was that we laid 3/4" teak decks over 10mm Bruynzheel sapele plywood, in 1978. About 15 years ago while in Turkey I did major maintenance on the deck with the help of a local skilled boatwright. He reefed out the old caulking and the two of us caulked the deck. I removed the plugs and reset the screws lower where needed. He made the plugs and I glued and chiseled them off, then he finished with sanding fair. There were two short sections of planking that needed replacing in the process, one of them under the shrouds. Today the decks still look great. I expect to get at least another decade out of the original deck, probably a bit more. Then I would replace the teak with plywood and glass, if I'm still around.

If the under-deck is sound and the teak is thick enough, and you enjoy doing this sort of work, this could be turned into a stunning classic. And if not, then move along. But consider paint for the house sides as the work to recover the wood and then varnish (and maintain the varnish) is not worth it IMHO.

Greg

(On a related note, any old boat with balsa core problems I would run screaming from - I've seen too many of these projects and they can turn into a nightmare.)

Edit: Of course you MUST hire a professional surveyor, one with deep experience on wooden boats, before closing the deal. The potential for rot somewhere in the deck or superstructure is very high, as is the cost to fix, so know what you are getting into.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 19:35   #25

Boat: 55 fleming

need to check the sub deck. is it soft? if so you will need to remove teak and re core sub deck. You may be able to put this off for a short time but it will need to be fixed.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 22:39   #26

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

QUOTEDo you think this teak deck can be resuscitated? If so, how should it be done?
(I am contemplating the purchase of this 1966 Cheoy Lee. All boat systems seem solid but the wood has not been maintained. My goal is to get another decade of life before a more drastic solution must be put into play. All input is truly appreciated.) UNQUOTE

A lot of people have offered their advice on the state of the teak deck.

Have you come to any conclusion or are you more confused? (The thread is all one way!)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 07:10   #27

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:

(I am contemplating the purchase of this 1966 Cheoy Lee. All boat systems seem solid but the wood has not been maintained. My goal is to get another decade of life before a more drastic solution must be put into play. All input is truly appreciated.)
Assuming what is under the teak is fine, you will be amazed at how well that teak can be made beautiful again. Check that any is loose and refix. Then treat with Semco Teak Cleaner and then Teak restorer (literally a 'wow!' product).
Re-caulk, sand, then seal with Semco Natural Tone Teak Sealer.

You will have a stunning deck that should last you another decade at least.

All of this assumes the teak has not been worn too thin, but from the photos it looks very saveable.

After all that is done, maintenance is 3-4 man-hours per year - just a wash and another coat of Semco.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 07:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
We would always go for teak. Used to be put off by the supposed maintenance, but found they are actually a lot lower maintenance than painted or gelcoat decks.

1. a properly cared for teak deck looks great
2. a teak deck doesn't show every mark so every time it rains, you're not out there washing down the dust etc
3. a full teak deck on a 50' mono takes 3-4 man-hours per year to maintain in 'as new' condition (using Semco - one coat per year or even every two years).
4. a teak deck is a lot easier on the eyes than a glaring white deck in full sun
5. did I mention they look great? .
Old 22-05-2020, 07:20   #29

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
QUOTEDo you think this teak deck can be resuscitated? If so, how should it be done?
(I am contemplating the purchase of this 1966 Cheoy Lee. All boat systems seem solid but the wood has not been maintained. My goal is to get another decade of life before a more drastic solution must be put into play. All input is truly appreciated.) UNQUOTE

A lot of people have offered their advice on the state of the teak deck.

Have you come to any conclusion or are you more confused? (The thread is all one way!)
Those Cheoy Lees are nice, one big consideration here is the Mast.
If it's wooden as well, inspect carefully, or add a lot to the price of
The repairs, most had that wood Mast.
You can remove teak and reglass decks, being sure to repair the support underside.
Teak systems, make a Two part epoxy to relay the teak on no screws.
Getting the old off without damaging the Teak more can be a challenge.
I'd like to see it get repaired.
I wouldn't want to be the one to do it though.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:01   #30

Quote:

New day, new look. So going through the photos again, that boat could look absolutely stunning! As earlier, depends what's under the teak. If it's solid, she deserves the love, but to renovate the boat without the teak decks - I wouldn't bother. Leave it to someone who can bring her back to her beauty rather than produce a compromise if you are considering that.

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck