Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2023, 06:04   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Is there a touchup paint for Awlgrip?

I have few dings that are showing grey primer under my white awlgrip. Is there a touch up paint that can be applied to cover the grey and help blend it in?
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 07:16   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Is there a touchup paint for Awlgrip?

Small craft artistic brush, mix a small batch of awlgrip, fill in the gap, stay away from the top edges.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 07:35   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Use the same Awlgrip paint, mixed and thinned for spraying, then test this with a Preval “disposable” right before fixing the dings.

You can’t polish original Awlgrip, but I found an alternative method to “blend” it in (don’t laugh until you try )

Mask the repair and spray the lightest coats to avoid sags. Let it cure overnight.

Now remove the masking tape and you have really ugly edges of the new paint. Use a card scraper (carefully, only touch the new paint edge) to blend these in.

I try to do this at a corner etc. and even I can’t see it unless I put my face right on it.

Some links:

https://www.amazon.com/Preval-Spray-.../dp/B00KIGJ822

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C06BLE

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 07:59   #4

wow yes thats like topnotch stuff. Thnak you for ideas. i have preval cans from when i was spraying gelcoat a while back. I doesnt need it to be that good.

"stay away from the top edges" what top edges? edge of paint and primer in the gouge?

The bummer is it was awlgriped before my time so i don't have the paint.

I think i need a samples of whites. My hull is white but of course there are different shades of white.

should I thicken it since it will sag? Cabosil is white and would not screw up the color too much but then i have to play the color matching games.
Old 25-07-2023, 08:41   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Sorry my bad, look , it happens to me, if the topcoat is old, be careful with masking tape on the edges, Awlgrip, once the top is damaged it normally comes off once you remove the tape, that's why for small bumps where the primer is visible it's better not to use tape and fill in with a small brush, if the area is big, you have to make it bigger to blend the edges if you use Preval, but still, make a masking tape test small enough to see if the topcoat peels off when you pull the tape.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 08:43   #6

ok thanks, I will use small brush, no masking tape.
Old 25-07-2023, 10:19   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
What size are these spots? For a deep scratch I would do something else: fill it with white MarineTex using a toothpick if very small. Make sure to overfill and don’t try to smooth it. Try to get the air out.

After cure, use the card scrapers I linked to before to level it out. Start with masking tape around it to protect the paint, then remove the tape for the final touch.

Now let it cure for a few extra days and decide if you want to paint it. If you do, buy a spray can of paint from the hardware store, spray some in a cup and use an artist brush to paint it.

Old 27-07-2023, 07:42   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
I have few dings that are showing grey primer under my white awlgrip. Is there a touch up paint that can be applied to cover the grey and help blend it in?
Are you sure its Awlgrip?
I have the same problem and I like the ideas above, however I don't know what the paint is and what type of white.
So my plan is to do it with gelcoat. I will fill the scratch then use a gelcoat matching kit to get as close to matching the white as possible... this will be a shot in the dark, I don't see a reason of why it would not work to fix small scratches, does anybody?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 08:08   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Are you sure its Awlgrip?
I have the same problem and I like the ideas above, however I don't know what the paint is and what type of white.
So my plan is to do it with gelcoat. I will fill the scratch then use a gelcoat matching kit to get as close to matching the white as possible... this will be a shot in the dark, I don't see a reason of why it would not work to fix small scratches, does anybody?
That won’t work; the sheen of gelcoat is completely different so it’s beyond color matching.

You don’t even need to precisely match, but if you check out Awlgrip, you will find color cards that you can order, which have perforations in the color patches so that you can hold it against the surface in different areas (sun/shade) and looking at different angles to quickly find the best match.

I think that after filling with MarineTex you will feel it’s already good enough from a couple yards distance.

Old 27-07-2023, 08:40   #10

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Will get the cards and try that. Thanks.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 11:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That won’t work; the sheen of gelcoat is completely different so it’s beyond color matching.

You don’t even need to precisely match, but if you check out Awlgrip, you will find color cards that you can order, which have perforations in the color patches so that you can hold it against the surface in different areas (sun/shade) and looking at different angles to quickly find the best match.

I think that after filling with MarineTex you will feel it’s already good enough from a couple yards distance.
I can see that. i've worked with gelcoat a lot and have plenty, and thought about it, but refrained. simple because expansion/contraction between polyester and epoxy. MarineTex is coming in on Monday.
Old 28-07-2023, 11:57   #12

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:

Or just use a small square of cardboard and gently hold it in the vicinity while you spray. This works well depending on the space and config.
Old 28-07-2023, 22:11   #13

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Or just use a small square of cardboard and gently hold it in the vicinity while you spray. This works well depending on the space and config.

This
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodging_and_burning

Tags
paint