Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2024, 03:50   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
International Micron 350 -- Experiences?

It's finally time for me to soda blast my bottom and do the antifouling from scratch. I have been using Micron 77 since 2018 and it is head and shoulders better than anything else I've ever used. In the brackish Baltic Sea, scrubbing off is needed only once a year, and there is nothing but light slime even after a year in the water. Even in the high fouling English Channel, 3 times a year was enough. It easily lasted two years between applications, in the Baltic even 3 with a bit of touchup.

Well, Micron 77 is no longer available and my stock is exhausted. International recommend Micron 350 as a replacement.

I'm a bit leery since other International antifoul paints I've used have been poor. Has anyone used this? Experience?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: International Micron 350 -- Experiences?

I'm also looking at the Hempel non-biocide nano-coating -- Silic One. It gets great reviews. And this would be the right time to switch to this since I will be blasting off the bottom of the boat. Anyone have any experience?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 03-03-2024, 07:27   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Is Micron Extra SPC available in your area? That seems to be the new replacement for Micron 66 in the US, and it's fresh water compatible (which Micron 66 wasn't). Reading the information on the Interlux and International sites, Micron 350 seems like it's close to the Extra SPC, but definitely different than Micron 77.

All of the paints I've mentioned above are listed as being self-polishing copolymers, rather than standard ablative paints that only wear when the boat is moving.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:30   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

My boat is in a VERY high growth / brakish and very warm water area.
The Micron 350 did better than anything else I've used before. I just hauled the boat after two seasons, it was no worse than with other anti-foulings but hauled after one season. Just one thing, if you wipe it a bit too hard or scrape stuff off the Micron 350 will be gone. Once in the water it becomes very soft.
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dockhead, we switched to Micron 350 after using Micron 77 following your recommendation. Quite thick paint.

It's good in Portsmouth harbour probably one of the worse fouling areas I can think of. Bit soft, so mid season scrub needs to be done with care, a sponge or light pressure washer, rather than a brush. However, doesn't build up layers like the Cruiser Uno version or its replacement.

Tried Seajet 33, but that failed badly one year with higher than normal sea temperatures. Otherwise quite good in previous years. Scrubs okay and very liquid, so easy to apply.

The problem with Sillic One is if it doesn't work, how are you going to remove it to get a good key for something else? Is coppercoat an option?

We already have a can of M350 ready for next months lift out.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:30   #6

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

I used micron 350 or Hempel Mille nct, roughly equivalent,
the boat is in southern Brittany in an estuary with fairly strong fouling development,
it protects for about 1 year, a greasy veil or even some fine short algae but no barnacles or worse
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 23:59   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Dockhead, we switched to Micron 350 after using Micron 77 following your recommendation. Quite thick paint.

It's good in Portsmouth harbour probably one of the worse fouling areas I can think of. Bit soft, so mid season scrub needs to be done with care, a sponge or light pressure washer, rather than a brush. However, doesn't build up layers like the Cruiser Uno version or its replacement.

Tried Seajet 33, but that failed badly one year with higher than normal sea temperatures. Otherwise quite good in previous years. Scrubs okay and very liquid, so easy to apply.

The problem with Sillic One is if it doesn't work, how are you going to remove it to get a good key for something else? Is coppercoat an option?

We already have a can of M350 ready for next months lift out.

Pete

Thanks! That gives some confidence. I guess I will give it a try.

I've been keeping the boat in Denmark over the winters since the pandemic, which is a low fouling environment (brackish water).

But low fouling environment likewise means that there is no mid-season liftout (much less two like I used to do) -- there isn't the infrastructure here. So the antifouling is still important.

I'm probably going to be on the North Sea coasts of Norway this summer where I think the fouling is worse. So trying to get my bottom in order.
Walt Whitman
Old 09-03-2024, 00:38   #8

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I used Micron 350 and was relatively happy with it. I found International Pacifica Plus much better but alas not available in Europe. I also found that Hempel Classic Antifouling worked as well as Micron 350 at a fraction of the price but it is very soft by comparison. Makes for easier seasonal repaints but doesn't last as long.

If you do a yearly haul then Hempel Classic if you want longevity and do not haul every year then Micron 350 would be my choice.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 05:21   #9

Boat: Hanse 400

I did exactly the same a couple of seasons ago, switching to M350 on a clean bottom. Even though I do a lot of miles which of course keeps the paint eroding nicely, the difference between that and previous coatings was significant; all that's needed now is a light touch-up despite, like Pete7's, the boat being afloat in Portsmouth Harbour for the winters. Very pleased with the results.
Ratbasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 01:58   #10

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Have you seen this article?

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/best-anti...-head-test-71025
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 05:04   #11

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Is Micron 66 no longer available? That's done a great job for me. Two or more seasons and more.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 01:27   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
Is Micron 66 no longer available? That's done a great job for me. Two or more seasons and more.

Long gone. But the 66 in any case was unsuitable in fresh or brackish water.
Walt Whitman
Old 12-03-2024, 01:59   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

However, I see that there is something called "Micron 99" on the Azko Nobel website. For professional use only. Anyone know anything about this?
Walt Whitman
Old 12-03-2024, 06:16   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
However, I see that there is something called "Micron 99" on the Azko Nobel website. For professional use only. Anyone know anything about this?
I remember digging through the datasheets at one point. From the info I found it's pretty much intended to be a freshwater compatible version of Micron 66. Micron Extra SPC looked fairly similar (but not identical) to Micron 99 and is fresh water compatible. I expect the Extra SPC will be the next paint I buy now that I've used up the stock of Micron CSC that came with my boat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 20:00   #15

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I think Micron 99 actually has a pesticide in it, requires a license to apply, and only on boats > 80 feet or something. i asked whether my 42' cat with 2 hulls would qualify....
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc