Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 04:16   #31

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: I'm old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
I’m old too…. Don’t Let the Old Man In!
I had doubts about being able to do the things I wanted to - then my older brother shared this with me:
Thanks, i needed that
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 09:01   #32

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerChuck View Post
I started waxing the hull of my 30' O'Day today. I hurt.

I put myself through college washing, waxing, and shrink wrapping boats. 30 years ago it hurt less.

I hired it out last year, and got a crap job. At least it's a break from my normal work, and I should sleep well tonight.
While walking around the boat show">Annapolis boat show years back, I ran into a Vendor restoring old, oxidized gelcoat. After watching the demo, I spoke to the guy and he was the inventor of the product. He convinced me to buy a kit at a show discount. I figured what the heck for 45$

i followed his instructions to strip the old wax off the hull(These days I just use grease lightning) Once stripped, I applied the needed 4 coats with the applicator and was done. The start to finish was about an hr. No waxing, no buffing and no sore shoulders for days. Each season I do a quick strip to dull it down and re-apply 2 coats. For a 1983 hull, people tell me they cant get their almost new boat looking that shinny. Product is Polyglow. Been using it now for over 10 yrs. And no, no financial investment, just a user.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 09:23   #33

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
While walking around the Annapolis boat show years back, I ran into a Vendor restoring old, oxidized gelcoat. After watching the demo, I spoke to the guy and he was the inventor of the product. He convinced me to buy a kit at a show discount. I figured what the heck for 45$

i followed his instructions to strip the old wax off the hull(These days I just use grease lightning) Once stripped, I applied the needed 4 coats with the applicator and was done. The start to finish was about an hr. No waxing, no buffing and no sore shoulders for days. Each season I do a quick strip to dull it down and re-apply 2 coats. For a 1983 hull, people tell me they cant get their almost new boat looking that shinny. Product is Polyglow. Been using it now for over 10 yrs. And no, no financial investment, just a user.
Good for you, but I have also heard horror stories about the same product, so I guess it depends.
So there you go, colonoscopy, bottom sanding (somewhat related), gym and now polyglow.
Very interesting thread.
BTW, I would be 50 if I didn't know when I was born.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 09:48   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm old

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Very interesting thread.
I know when I was born and I'm 37...
47 come September..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 10:05   #35

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Good for you, but I have also heard horror stories about the same product, so I guess it depends.
So there you go, colonoscopy, bottom sanding (somewhat related), gym and now polyglow.
Very interesting thread.
No doubt if you don't follow the instructions, although having used this for a long time, I cant image what "horror" story would come from it? Its dissolves with grease lightning, takes it right off to the gelcoat if a screw up... Have never seen it damage gelcoat. I'm 65.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 13:10   #36

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

I just hand waxed my hull, and enjoyed the exercise. It was like "yoga, but standing up the whole time!"

:-)
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 13:32   #37

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Hahahahaha op.

What was the thread about , I can’t remember.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 14:10   #38

Quote:
Very interesting thread.
A friend did a new-to-him boat with Poli-Glow, and it looked like a million bucks. The negative I've heard (and seen) is that if you let it build up for a few years, it yellows and can peel. So every few years you apparently have to strip it off, either with their official stripper, or with commercial floor-wax stripper. Or that greased lightning stuff, apparently.

I don't care for gyms. My goal is to have enough purposeful or pleasurable physical activity in my routine to stay fit. So, yeah I still polish & wax the hull and do the bottom. (but our boat's tiny ). Walk/bike instead of driving for short errands, etc.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 14:38   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I just redid an apartment in an 1887 house. Some of thr plaster was detached, I reattached it. You drill a hole, squeeze in construction adhesive, put in a screw with a big washer to suck it up, later remove the screw and washer and repair the crack/hole.

11-1/2' ceilings, over 2,000 holes.

Shoulders are shot. I ain't doing any bottom work or topside for a while.

71 going on 17.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 16:44   #40

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m 69 + shipping and handling. I retired and started 2 businesses.
I love strippers and bottoms but I gave them up for a factory like hard bottom and wax.
I broke both shoulders left wrist right elbow. I put a sign on myself “ can’t masturbate “ and people pelted me with coins proving once again folks don’t read.
The damn therapist said waxing the boat would be good for my shoulders. Did I mention I don’t like her.
I told my wife I have to rub bottoms for my shoulders to heal.
Life’s good
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 19:14   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I just redid an apartment in an 1887 house. Some of thr plaster was detached, I reattached it. You drill a hole, squeeze in construction adhesive, put in a screw with a big washer to suck it up, later remove the screw and washer and repair the crack/hole.

11-1/2' ceilings, over 2,000 holes.
Oh man. Just say no. Rip it down (or not), strap it and put up drywall.

Age is supposed to make one smarter.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 16:41   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Age is supposed to make one smarter.
I keep waiting...

Jim
Old 08-06-2022, 17:10   #43

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

My shoulders ache too, and I haven't really done anything. I gave up bottom sanding a few years back. After doing it all on this boat myself (sanding I mean, Judy helped with the painting) for 30+ years, annually, I had enough. Probably swallowed and breathed enough toxic paint to kill a billion barnacles. But sanding was the killer. Holding a RA over my head for two days is just inconceivable now.

But you know, it's ageing, not lack of hard work that gets our muscles and joints in trouble.

We've been going to the gym three days a week for several years. I've tailored my workouts to match the things I do on the boat (winching, halyard jumping, yanking on the tiller, etc) plus exercises to hit all the other major muscles. And I row, hard. My workouts have kept me strong, in the gym. I can still row my 3000 meters in under 13 mins, but it don't mean crap around the actual boat. I do stuff here on the boat and I ache. Can't even scramble up on deck from the dingy like I used to, now I duck under the lifelines instead of over the top one.

Nevermind, I'll keep at it and keep finding ways to work around my ailments. It's all part of life and better than the alternative.
Old 08-06-2022, 17:14   #44

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

At some point if you rip it down you need to upgrade the wiring , insulate the walls, clean out the 100 yr old mouse nests, and oh so much more. 1822 homeowner here. Some drywall, some 200 year old plaster. It’s all good.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 17:37   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
A friend did a new-to-him boat with Poli-Glow, and it looked like a million bucks. The negative I've heard (and seen) is that if you let it build up for a few years, it yellows and can peel. So every few years you apparently have to strip it off, either with their official stripper, or with commercial floor-wax stripper..
I find it just wears off and then i reapply, which is easy. But it is also easy to remove with standard floor stripper.

I never will kill myself by waxing again!!