Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2021, 07:04   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia
Identifying and Tracking Maintenance Tasks

After 7 years of living onboard my boat, I find myself wondering if there is a better way of tracking and scheduling maintenance. I’ve downloaded pretty much all owners manuals electronically and have gotten by with a mixture of excel files for maintenance tasks and parts inventories and written maintenance logs for completed tasks.

So… how did you identify which items need maintenance on your boat and how do you know when they need maintaining? And, do you have a way of tracking when maintenance is completed? Do you keep track of inventory and update at the end of each maintenance project?

I’m decently handy at Excel so I’m looking for ideas to make things easier and simpler to use. What capabilities have you come up with that have been helpful, or what capabilities do you wish you could implement that would make life easier?

Thanks!
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 16:27   #2

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'
Re: Identifying and Tracking Maintenance Tasks

You could try boatly. https://www.boatly.com

It sounds like what you are looking for

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 05:01   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disputin View Post
You could try boatly. https://www.boatly.com

It sounds like what you are looking for

Sean
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 05:06   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We just use Excel, with a bunch of individual worksheets within for various systems (mains, genset, plumbing, ACs, a project list, etc.)

When I finish a specific service I try to enter another line (in color) with a future date for the same service. The color stands out when paging through the individual sheets from time to time.

-Chris
Old 22-09-2021, 07:58   #5

We tried Vessel Vanguard the last two years and will not be renewing. I've found that any online cloud "solution" just doesn't work for us since reliable internet isn't a guarantee. VV will tell you their system works offline but trust me, it doesn't.

I've found that really knowing your boat (as I know you do) helps with maintenance items. For tracking, I created a customer logbook and sent it out to get printed as a hardcover book. It includes a maintenance tracking section that works great for us.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 08:42   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

Wondering if there is a better way of tracking and scheduling maintenance. Maintain a table with a schedule of recurring maintenance

So… how did you identify which items need maintenance on your boat and how do you know when they need maintaining? Follow manufacturer's maintenance intervals or my experience

And, do you have a way of tracking when maintenance is completed? Yes, color-code each: planned maintenance item, in-progress and completed with dates

Do you keep track of inventory and update at the end of each maintenance project?Yes with the month and year completed

I’m decently handy at Excel so I’m looking for ideas to make things easier and simpler to use. What capabilities have you come up with that have been helpful, or what capabilities do you wish you could implement that would make life easier? Use Microsoft WORD or Excel OR Microsoft Project, but I use the former
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 09:34   #7

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

Try this. A mixture of logs, schedules and Maintenance.
You should be able to adapt to your needs.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Master Log.xls (330.0 KB, 101 views)
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 10:59   #8

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Possibly a PERTT and/or WBS
Program Evaluation and Review Technoque
Work Breakdown Structure

and there is always just a loose leaf folder with indexed pages...

John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 12:33   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 38

We use Trello kanban and mix in a column for manuals. Very handy to make a new ticket when an issue is noticed. For routine maintenance I have notes about the last time, photos, and can put a reminder to alert me when it is needed again.
CNulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 06:32   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We just use Excel, with a bunch of individual worksheets within for various systems (mains, genset, plumbing, ACs, a project list, etc.)

When I finish a specific service I try to enter another line (in color) with a future date for the same service. The color stands out when paging through the individual sheets from time to time.

-Chris
I use exactly the same Excel spreadsheet system. Color coded green when completed, red "In-Progress".

Have columns for "Safety related", "Priority", and "Work Type" such as electrical, engine, woodwork etc. With DATA -> Filter I can sort on the categories
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance