Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48   #61

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: i am re-naming my boat '5200'

AHH, don't they use boats to get clams ??? Seems like I remember clam boats out there in PNW!! So if 5200 worrys ya your gonna have to dig your own clams!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55   #62

My wife wanted a leg put back on a coffee table and I told her I would get some 5200 and put it back on.

She told me in no uncertain terms that 5200 was banned from coming any closer than 100 yards to our house (she has seen where it has "jumped" on our boat and how many pairs of shorts I have with 5200 embedded into them).
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Try calling your boat SATAN'S GLUE.
hahahaha
Some of us are addicted to it.... it's my drug of choice....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 23:42   #64

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
AHH, don't they use boats to get clams ??? Seems like I remember clam boats out there in PNW!! So if 5200 worrys ya your gonna have to dig your own clams!!!
And oysters and crab and. . . I just savor the slight whisper of tar, black current, and 5200... oh wait that's the wine! never mind.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:56   #65

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: i am re-naming my boat '5200'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
My wife wanted a leg put back on a coffee table and I told her I would get some 5200 and put it back on.

She told me in no uncertain terms that 5200 was banned from coming any closer than 100 yards to our house (she has seen where it has "jumped" on our boat and how many pairs of shorts I have with 5200 embedded into them).

I took on a dreaded project yesterday of putting a soft fender around my hard dinghy. I glued it with 4200 as this is the third iteration and I ain't happy yet. The big bright blue swimming noodles I tried looked a little too ... ah ... gay. I started to cover them with fire hose til I snapped on the hose added another 20#. Anyway, I smeared plenty of white goo around just by picking up the rag [note to self -- don't use a white rag with white goo]. I took me longer to clean up the mess than it would have to tape the area off.

Only two small spots on the new nylon "technical" shorts. And just one on shirt!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:07   #66
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm read of this 5200 stuff, but never have bought any. Sounds like I'm missing out on something "special".
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03   #67

ahh... the smell of creosote pilings, diesel and 5200.... bliss!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:53   #68

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I took on a dreaded project yesterday of putting a soft fender around my hard dinghy. I glued it with 4200 as this is the third iteration and I ain't happy yet. The big bright blue swimming noodles I tried looked a little too ... ah ... gay. I started to cover them with fire hose til I snapped on the hose added another 20#. Anyway, I smeared plenty of white goo around just by picking up the rag [note to self -- don't use a white rag with white goo]. I took me longer to clean up the mess than it would have to tape the area off.

Only two small spots on the new nylon "technical" shorts. And just one on shirt!
You wanna know the key to 5200 use?
Old 07-10-2013, 16:43   #69

You know I'll rise to the bait. WHAT?
Old 07-10-2013, 18:30   #70

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
You know I'll rise to the bait. WHAT?
Forget rags.

Each wipe of any excess 5200 anywhere is done with a square of toilet paper. Or two if you use the cheap stuff. The best is Sams brand or Wal-mart - for the rump too! It also does fine in the marine head/holding tank arena.

Use a bucket to toss each piece of paper into. Wipe up only what you can with each piece. Then get another. If you are sloppy and put too much on and too much squeezes out then you may only be able to pick up a quarter inch of the mess. Good to learn how much caulk to use in certain situations anyway.

Even with not too much squeezing out you may only be able to pick up an inch or so. Use it folded over your finger and start at a point previously done and work in a fluid sweeping-upward motion. Discard and repeat.

You will soon be confident and think you can use the piece of toilet paper for just a little but more, maybe folded once more......................and you will be wrong.

The easiest way for a layman to stay focused (I work OR and it is sterile or it is not - unlike being a little bit pregnant ) is to pretend you are wiping your butt after a, how should I say.........mmm.........Southwestern dinner squirt (with chunks). You are going to make sure your fingers are covered right? You are not going to wipe once and then, with the same piece of paper wipe again, right? Of course not. You are going to make one sweep at a time and get what you can and then start over. You are certainly going to get as little as possible on your hands right? Hopefully none as it is hard to hold your pants up while you get to the sink so as not to get any on your belt or zipper.............right? Of course. Unless you are in a handicapped stall. Then it is easy. I think all mex............errr Southwestern restaurants should have all handicapped stalls.

Easy as wiping your ass. Or tripping on a lifeline while boarding.

PS. Trying to smooth it in a 90° corner can suck. Wipe it if there is too much but then wet your finger with spit or water - not damp, wet. You get a few inches before it's too late. Remove any on the tip of your finger with another piece of toilet paper and re-wet. It smooths well.

PPS Always have a place to lay the tube where it won't get bumped and have some paper to catch the inevitable drip.

PPPS If squeeze tube wipe to flush with top, place sandwich baggie (the thin one) over threads and screw on cap - gently so it does not split. Then freeze. Caulk gun tubes use a plug or nail or something. The cap provided doesn't work well.

PPPPS If using below the water line make sure it is a fresh tube. Less chance of poor curing with new stuff.

Class dismissed.

Sorry for the length. (though I have more)
Old 07-10-2013, 19:13   #71
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I like WEST System plastic spreaders. Scrape off the excess with a nice spreader, it leaves a nice clean little bead. You can cut them down to size (and custom shapes) with a utility knife. The WEST ones are much stiffer and last longer. Much faster cleanup this way. This and lots of gloves, triple gloved. Then if you want perfect beauty beads you spray on alcohol from a fine misting spray bottle and finger it off once when wet. Comes out glossy. Bare finger works best but alcohol will make your fingers crack if you do enough seams like this.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 19:38   #72

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I like WEST System plastic spreaders. Scrape off the excess with a nice spreader, it leaves a nice clean little bead. You can cut them down to size (and custom shapes) with a utility knife. The WEST ones are much stiffer and last longer. Much faster cleanup this way. This and lots of gloves, triple gloved. Then if you want perfect beauty beads you spray on alcohol from a fine misting spray bottle and finger it off once when wet. Comes out glossy. Bare finger works best but alcohol will make your fingers crack if you do enough seams like this.
As it comes from Minaret, this advice would be technically correct BUT it reads kinda, you know, Freudian wrong somehow.
Like tooo much information for here but maybe fits better in the Aged Cruiser's thread??
Mac
Old 07-10-2013, 19:55   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac View Post
As it comes from Minaret, this advice would be technically correct BUT it reads kinda, you know, Freudian wrong somehow.
Like tooo much information for here but maybe fits better in the Aged Cruiser's thread??
Mac
Minaret's THE MAN.

Therapy's tome (he has more) was Freudian albeit true. I've often wondered how to deal with Southwestern chunks, and here's the answer on CF!

Remember the Encyclopedia Britannica? That's what we had before the internet. Don't thank God, thank Al Gore, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs.
Old 07-10-2013, 20:37   #74
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac View Post
Mac

Dude, your mind is in the gutter! Perhaps too much time on this "Aged Cruiser's Thread"? I suppose "finger it off when wet" could be misleading! That's the problem with boat work, easy to slip in to juvenile humor, it's always just sort of, well, staring you in the face...

Old 07-10-2013, 20:39   #75
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Minaret's THE MAN.

Therapy's tome (he has more) was Freudian albeit true. I've often wondered how to deal with Southwestern chunks, and here's the answer on CF!

Remember the Encyclopedia Britannica? That's what we had before the internet. Don't thank God, thank Al Gore, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs.

Problem with that method is that just like with the Southwestern chunks, sometimes you leave some TP behind. Oooh, TMI!