Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 10:33   #16

Re: Hurricane Damaged Boats Available

St Maartin had winds well over 250mph.The damage and stress on any kind of fiberglass boat would be excessive wether it was on land or sea.If totalled by a insurance company they will not be seaworthy no matter how much money you put into them for repairs.They just need to be parted out and the hulls crushed up and taken to a landfill.or sunk in 1000 feet of water for a reef.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:36   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design

Rush. P - I'm with you...
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:48   #18
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

I am interested if a Lagoon 52 ft owner version is available on the condition that the process is transparent, i.e
I or my surveyor can inspect the vessel selected
A complete scope of work is provided
Your work is guaranteed
But most importantly, you have written confirmation from the insurer who totaled the boat to insure the boat at the new value after all work is completed.

If the conditions above can be met, please contact me.
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:15   #19

Boat: Lagoon 42

What would be the risks in such an arrangement?

Hidden or undiscovered boat damage. Underestimated repair cost. Salvage title? Repair shop closes. Yard/marina fees while waiting for repairs. Guaranteed by ... Many more.

High risk high reward?

I like the idea of repairing the repairable boats. I always like the idea of saving money by being smart. I would be wary of all the details.
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Are you interested in buying a boat?

We wil explain EXACTLY how this will work to buyers who are ready to go RIGHT NOW so as to not repeat ourselves or get into some kind of debate with experts on the forum. We have 2 more spots available for buyers as of now, regardless of type or size of boat. We will not commit to an unlimited number of buyers as we can not refit more than a handfull of boats in the next 12 months and do it right.

I’m far from an expert! The idea of a team of professionals repairing these boats has merit.

I have a friend who buys totaled cars and repairs and resells them with a salvage title. He is a very good mechanic and body guy. The cars look like new, are very inexpensive, And the one I got from him was hard to sell and never quite worked right. In the end it was a bad deal for me. Others had great luck and bought more than one.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:01   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Wow ! The skeptics are out in force today !! The mind is like a parachute, it must be open to function.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:05   #22

Scam.

All you anxious bargain seekers. Be very careful.
kipwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3sailor View Post
So, if I were to pick a boat out of your list of "salvageable" boats, do you provide the prospective buyer with a breakdown and estimated cost of the repairs required and a time frame in which the repairs can be accomplished? Would there be any type of warranty covering the repairs over a certain period of time, that is? I'd be interested but would not blindly buy a boat not knowing how much the repairs would cost and no possible warranty on the work being performed.
Sounds like they are proposing a "COST PLUS" deal where you buy the boat from the Insurance Company and they fix it at their discretion with you paying whatever they say as you will not be able to monitor the fix it work...Plus there is no certain way to estimate the repair costs Are they guaranteeing the final cost and are they guaranteeing the quality of their 'work'
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:14   #24

Boat: 2009 Leopard 40

I'm wary as well - more so due to the poster's reluctance to patiently provide concrete details to people looking to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into a vessel. His tone is such that he's doing the purchaser a favor, where I'm sure he stands to make a whole lot of dough if this is, in fact, a legitimate scenario.

I might be interested in the process, but not if someone isn't willing to slow down and exhaustively answer all of my questions.
ascarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush.p View Post
This screams scam to me!!
Me too " then they tell you "you commit" RIGHT NOW without even knowing what boats are available at what price from the Insurance CO. the they charge you without any controls --seems like some opportunist are dreaming up a scam without any resources of their own
Old 12-11-2017, 12:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarswell View Post
I'm wary as well - more so due to the poster's reluctance to patiently provide concrete details to people looking to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into a vessel. His tone is such that he's doing the purchaser a favor, where I'm sure he stands to make a whole lot of dough if this is, in fact, a legitimate scenario.

I might be interested in the process, but not if someone isn't willing to slow down and exhaustively answer all of my questions.
YES big favor seems he is working for Ins companies also double dip..............plus what makes them boat repair experts??Just their word?? LOL
Old 12-11-2017, 12:43   #27

Scam is a bit harsh I think. There’s a lot of opportunity to lose money on good intentions poorly thought out or carelessly planned.

For example 12 month build time? Just in time to survive next hurricane season? Who will give insurance during build? Maybe they’ve thought it all out, maybe not. I can see many of the risks the buyer takes, what risks does the repair yard take?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:46   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
YES big favor seems he is working for Ins companies also double dip..............plus what makes them boat repair experts??Just their word?? LOL
You get the “skeptic of the day “ award. “ Seems” is the key word in your post. Do you know that he is getting a financial reward from the insurance company? Does it really matter to you? Or the buyer? If I find a 5 dollar bill on the sidewalk is it only worth 4 dollars? The deal is what the deal is, it is either good for you or not. I don’t know , you would have to talk to the OP personally to get the actual answers, not come to some erroneous conclusion without knowing the facts. If I were on trial I sure wouldn’t want some of you folks on the jury, but the prosecutor sure would.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 13:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
You get the “skeptic of the day “ award. “ Seems” is the key word in your post. Do you know that he is getting a financial reward from the insurance company? Does it really matter to you? Or the buyer? If I find a 5 dollar bill on the sidewalk is it only worth 4 dollars? The deal is what the deal is, it is either good for you or not. I don’t know , you would have to talk to the OP personally to get the actual answers, not come to some erroneous conclusion without knowing the facts. If I were on trial I sure wouldn’t want some of you folks on the jury, but the prosecutor sure would.
This is some dude who lives on a boat down there. If he owned a boatyard , had lots of repair experience, had a ongoing business with good operating cash it might be different---but he sounds like a guy who wants to speculate with others money without guaranteeing anything For example-how is he going to move the boats across the very rough 120 mile Anegada Passage? How is he going to pay the "repair staff"--how is he going to purchase needed repair parts from the original manufactuers in France? I'm sure he speaks the language and has contacts there.LOL
Old 12-11-2017, 13:07   #30

Hurricane Damaged Boats Available

Maybe a better approach is what is needed.

A group of Marine Service Professionals currently have openings for a few new clients in our Saint Martin yard. We are available to repair hurricane damaged yachts to like new condition. We are located in the area of many hurricane damaged yachts and are willing to use our considerable expertise and contacts to help you purchase an insurance salvaged, repairable yacht. You may find these yachts offer a good savings over used boats currently on the market. We have limited space and time so these slots are on a first come, first serve basis. If you would like to discuss how we may help you in acquiring and repairing a hurricane damaged yacht and go over all the details of this offer, please call.

Maybe not, It still sounds fishy with out a lot more detail?

Tags
boat, hurricane