Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2018, 15:53   #1

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter
Hull leak after drilling mistake

Hi All, looking for advice or sympathy if possible!

I was using a hole saw to make a way for my diesel heater exhaust. A prior owner had already made the hole that I was thinking of using, but directly behind it was a piece of protruding wood that I needed to clear off to have enough clearance. I was drilling from a quarterberth horizontally backwards to a space under the icebox. Seemingly, I did not keep the angle exactly proper, because shortly after this while looking through my endoscope camera I was able to see water dripping. I am guessing I nicked the fiberglass with the edge of the hole saw.

Anyway the leak was pretty bad at first, bilge pump was more than able to keep up but it had to run pretty often. In a panic I cut out a large hole in the base of the cabinet in front and pressed in a large amount of plumber putty, and then 'stay afloat' (another putty) after my neighbor gave me some. I was not able to seal off the leak completely, partially because I am pressing blind and very far back behind the hole I cut. The neighbor also lent me a wetsuit, but after trying for as long as I could stand I could not find the hole from outside.

All of today I have been calling Marinas in the area (I am docked currently at Pier 3 Philadelphia). Curtin's Wharf, Neshaminy State, Dredge Harbor, Clarks Landing, Riverside Marina, G winters sailing center - they have all denied me for various reasons to do the repair.

My last resort idea is to try to rip up all of the cabinetry and the fridge around the area, so that I can attempt a better fix from the inside. I have been trying to today, but I am stuck trying to remove the fridge itself, it seems like it is stuck on with expanding foam or something. Pictures below of the progress I have made so far.

I am looking for any possible suggestions here that I can try, or suggestions of a marina which could help me, as I am getting rather depressed.

(vessel: bayfield 29c)

Thanks for reading.

sona1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 16:08   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Hull leak after drilling mistake

Why would six marinas not let you pull out?
Old 30-10-2018, 16:13   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450S

If you are willing to dive in again, I would try putting a bright light in the area of the leak and illuminate the spot through the fiberglass. Maybe do it when it is dark outside. Not ideal, but it might show you the area of the leak.

For a temporary fix, some underwater tape, epoxy, or putty, from the outside, might keep the leak at bay until you determine a permanent fix.

I bet the putty solution from the inside is failing because of the hydraulic pressure from the water into the boat. You would have to hold it tight until the putty has dried, which sounds like it would be tough - working blind.

You have my sympathies! Small projects becoming big projects is not fun!

Good luck.
geekoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 16:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

FIRST - Toilet bowl wax, will hold a surprising amount of hydrostatic pressure.

Delaware City marina, it’s a bit of a run for you but they will almost certinally haul you. The owner has his moments but is generally pretty reasonable.

http://delawarecitymarina.biz

Back up alterrnatives in the immediate area are Summit North half way down the C&D canal, I think there is some kind of small lift in Salem across the river from Delaware City, then down to Greenwich in the NJ or not we’ll know Leipsic on the DE side. Leipsic is about 4’ controlling depth IIRC, all the others should be fine.

I had done almost exactly the same thing except I have a steel hull! I knicked it with a hole saw while going through a piece of wood. “Damn that wood is tough” thought I then the big “OH ****!”

I jammed some toilet bowl wax in it and that held a couple of days.

You won’t appreciate this now but, some day, at a bar, you will tell this story and receive tons of guy empathy ( “You dumb ass!”) for we have all stood in your soggy shoes, or lie.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 16:38   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Plastic bag/tape etc from the outside and squeeze 5200 fast cure into it, cover with plastic and wedge something flat against it; it cures with water and should do the trick. After initial fill, use more to build it up and around the hole.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 17:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Delaware City Marina 302 834 4172
Salem Barbours Basin 856-935-1261
Summit North *(302) 836-1800‬
Hancock’s Harbor Greenwich 856 455 2620
Carey Diesel Leipsic 302-678-3797
Old 30-10-2018, 17:23   #7

People are giving you lots of ideas (of various quality) for TEMPORARY repairs. All of these fixes are TEMPORARY.

You need to find a way to get the boat out of the water and repaired properly. Doing any of these and then crossing your fingers until springtime is a very, very bad idea.

Why on earth are SIX boat yards turning away your business?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 17:51   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IF you have Boat US tow insurance i would contact them. Literally you are in danger of sinking and need to get to a repair facility.

Maybe they can tow you, I’ve had them tow me 10 hours.
If not tow perhaps they can buddy boat, friends with pumps.
Or at least they can arrange to follow your progress by AIS or phone, and be on standby should something bad occur.

But you will need to know where you are heading first, destination is your call. Although they may have suggestions.

Best of luck. Please let us know how it works out.
Old 30-10-2018, 17:56   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Use the torch technique to located the hole described above and get hold of some underwater setting epoxy and stuff it in the hole. Once set, clean and slap a couple of layers of resin and fibreglass over the top of the hole from the inside. That should keep it sealed it until next haul out and possibly forever.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 17:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
People are giving you lots of ideas (of various quality) for TEMPORARY repairs. All of these fixes are TEMPORARY.

You need to find a way to get the boat out of the water and repaired properly. Doing any of these and then crossing your fingers until springtime is a very, very bad idea.

They are not all boat yards, marinas is a better name. Not all have lifts and they may be closed for the season already or do not handle sail boats. Philly is NOT a sailboat friendly town.

Frankly I’m not suprised.
Old 30-10-2018, 18:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

Maybe because of very old small boat? Limited budget?

Don't know this area, are those 'high society' / luxus boat yards? -- Hope you find a solution soon, good luck!
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 18:20   #12

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Stay Afloat seems to be toilet gasket wax with a "marine" price.
Could you force enough of it or something similar into the leak to make it protrude to be visible on the outside? Could you place a strong magnet at or near the leak on the inside and locate it with a piece of iron on the outside? See " fothering."
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 18:23   #13

High society boatyards? LOL! Not in Philly! Mostly powerboat city ashpeer mentioned not sailboat friendly.

You join the elite bar stool club of ' I almost sank my own boat' owners!

Get a roll of that ' Flex tape' you see advertised on tv from walmart or a nearby hardware store. Use a large piece to cover the general area of the leak. The bigger piece will hold in place until you can do a proper repair once hauled out.

Can you 'carreen' your boat in an area that sees a few feet of water difference? Have a powerboat friend nudge you up on a soft grounding so you can access the damaged area. Barring that you will have to haulout.

Is the area underthe transom quarter or more towards the side?
Old 30-10-2018, 18:43   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Looks like you are of a reasonably shallow draft. I don't know your geography, but anywhere tidal nearby that you can careen her?
Old 30-10-2018, 18:58   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=sona1111;2751798]Hi All, looking for advice or sympathy if possible!
=============================================
there is plenty of sympathy for you,did the same back in 1997.
Advice?
only one
get the boat out of the water.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull