Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 05:58   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
How to Repair Teak Grates?

A couple of my teak grates are starting to fall apart. I can't seem to find any information on how to fix them. Do you glue them back together and clamp them with furniture clamps? Or what is their structural principle? I will be grateful for any advice.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: How to Repair Teak Grates?

When the teak grating in our cockpit began to fail, I repaired the connections by separating the failed joints a bit and injecting water proof wood glue into the joint using a plastic syringe and then weighing the grating down on the floor of our garage with some sand-bags. Once the glue set up, I counter-sunk some very tiny wood screws set in glue in all of the joints in the grating from the underside. It was a somewhat tedious process considering the number of joints but the grating has held up well for the last 10+ years since. I periodically clean and then oil the grates which may help preserve the glue joints but I am not certain of that.

Note that our cockpit grates do not sit on the deck but span a life-raft storage well on the bottom of the cockpit so that they have air circulation around the entire grate and can dry out. Simply laying on a deck, the constant damp of the grating joints may prevent the foregoing fix from working too well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Thanks. Are they made with glue originally, or are they just fitted together? I just don't understand the principle of them.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:35   #4

Lots of possibilities... Pic?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:52   #5

Good question Dockhead, I have been meaning to ask this. I look forward to any info forthcoming.
When mine came apart, I managed to line all the pieces up and drop it back in place, I don't think I will get that lucky next time. I do need to clean under it as it is over top of me scuppers.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02   #6

Possible to take apart, clean (they are usually pretty mucky in between the mating surfaces) and put a dab of 5200 at each joint? then weight it down and wait a few days.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 19:43   #7

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

For what it is worth my teak cockpit grating was falling apart also. I put this in a gouple of moths ago. I trimmed it to fit my cockpit. With a hole saw I cut a hole the same size as my cockpit drains over the drains. Much easier on bare feet. Self draining and it comes up in a flash if I need it to. Teak Snapping Decktiles: Le click by INFINITA
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 20:18   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Thank you Ironhorse !! Thats a great site !! love the teak decking. And did ya look at the lights they have !! man makes me think about a great anchor light LOL But really thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 20:36   #9

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Thank you Ironhorse !! Thats a great site !! love the teak decking. And did ya look at the lights they have !! man makes me think about a great anchor light LOL But really thanks
you are welcome. I never noticed the lights before, however floating bordello comes to mind.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 22:32   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahhh but can't ya just see that 12 in white one hanging from the riggin in netting for a anchor light ??? I kinda like it myself !!LOL
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks. Are they made with glue originally, or are they just fitted together? I just don't understand the principle of them.
Our grates have interlocking notched joints and were originally glued. The grating material itself is quite thick so the notches are fairly deep and I suspect the joints were originally quite tight although age (26+ years) and weather have loosened them some. The glue I used here (USA) was Elmer's Exterior Waterproof Wood Glue although I have no idea what an equivalent material would be on your side of the pond. The Brits and French, however, were pretty expert wooden yacht builders so I am certain there's plenty of resources where you are.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote