Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 21:29   #1

how to re-attach lazarette hinge into fibreglass

Hi,
The hinge on my lazarette has come off. The screws used to bite into the fiberglass but over time, they no longer bite. It is not possible to get in behind the holes in order to put a bolt or nut there. I tried a 2 part epoxy in the screw holes but it didn't work. Any ideas how I can get these screws to attach to the fiberglass? Can I glass over the holes and re-drill them? Or use JB weld or a similar product?
sailing11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 03:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: how to re-attach lazarette hinge into fibreglass

I have used the dodge of setting a machine nut in epoxy in a drilled recess. Carve out material with a forstner bit w/o going all the way through. Then thread a bolt with waxed threads onto the nut. Pot the nut in JB weld or whatever inside the hollow. When dry, back out the bolt and you have a threaded hole.
You must be careful to center the nuts on the places the hinge bolts will go.
Old 16-07-2020, 04:13   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Rivklé or similar nuts?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 19:37   #4

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Solid FRP or cored deck?
But either way drilling out the damaged area & filling with thickened epoxy usually works. You need to replace damaged FRO & especially any surrounding soft core with the thickened or high strength epoxy.
Be sure to size the drill correctly for your screw size. if the drill is smaller than the core diameter of your screw, the relatively brittle epoxy will crack and you lose the purchase. Paradoxically, a larger pilot hole than used in wood gives a better purchase in FRP. I turn the screws in by hand in critical areas such as hinges.
Old 16-07-2020, 20:05   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Rivklé or similar nuts?
Would be my go to as well, perhaps assembled with an oversize washer behind if possible and epoxy glue applied before compression. (not on the thread of course)

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 20:33   #6

Drill out damaged/loose material, back-fill with epoxy/fiber mix. Once cured, drill and tap for the correct size machine screw. unreinforced epoxy will hold kinda well, but not as well as epoxy that has some fiber reinforcement; however, mixing fiber with epoxy introduces tiny air bubbles, which weak the cured epoxy a little. For screws that hold hinges, I doubt any weakening would negatively affect the final strength.

Or through bolt.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 23:59   #7

While you are at it, add a pneumatic lift arm. It will take the strain off the hinges and prevent this from happening again (or at a minimum lengthen the lifetime) but also allows the lazerette to stay open hands free which is great when you are head down in the bin looking for something.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote