Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2021, 09:16   #1

How do I remove big flathead screws in the main??

Hey Guys

I have a weird problem from another post. My gooseneck broke but I realized I have two from where a previous owner moved the boom.

I want move this old gooseneck to where my current broken one is. Problem is the flat head bolts holding it to the mast are really on there. I’ve used penetrating oil, left it for a week, reapplied etc.

When I try to use my impact drill to remove the screws the drill just slips out. It’s driving me nuts. Man I really hate flat heads.

Any tips on working with Flatheads??
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 09:48   #2

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Re: How do I remove big flathead screws in the main??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr0 View Post
Hey Guys

I have a weird problem from another post. My gooseneck broke but I realized I have two from where a previous owner moved the boom.

I want move this old gooseneck to where my current broken one is. Problem is the flat head bolts holding it to the mast are really on there. I’ve used penetrating oil, left it for a week, reapplied etc.

When I try to use my impact drill to remove the screws the drill just slips out. It’s driving me nuts. Man I really hate flat heads.

Any tips on working with Flatheads??
I would drill them out.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 10:04   #3

Preferred option: Use a manual hammered impact driver. Typically can reuse the fastener as it is usually not destructive to the head, albeit I would opt for other than a flathead screw

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8...603674&sr=8-13

Failing that then use a screw extractor which is destructive to the fastener that is being removed.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Screw-...h%20pliers.%20

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-5...9f852beac75db8

Good luck.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 10:19   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Ditto the hammer-type impact driver. Make sure the bit really fits the screw tightly. Also do the heat/cool bit a few times. It's possible to clean the slot with a dremmel tool. In my opinion, drilling it out is a last resort, and patience is your friend.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 10:21   #5

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

I second the hammer impact! Mac Tools makes a great one and its only $40 dollars on the fleabay last I looked. It has true #4 and #3 drive bits with it that really take a beating!

Heat helps.

According to the testing by Popular Mechanics, Acetone and ATF mixed 50/50 makes the best penetrating oil. I have had great luck with it and PB Blaster.

I often will apply penetrating oil twice a day for a couple days if I think there is a good chance of serious corrosion, or high consequences of failures.

These old school hammer impact tools are really great with the flatheads and large fasteners. Keep your cool and keep at it- time and stubbornness often win out.
Old 13-06-2021, 10:54   #6

Very Cool, this is my first time seeing the impact drivers. I'm going to pick one up and head to the boat.

I'll keep you all posted!
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 10:57   #7

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

I have had poor luck with the cheap hardware store ones- the flathead bits themselves twist/bend and break off.

What you end up needing to do is move it one direction- move it back- move it forward- move it back, but the cheaper impact drivers have cheap bits that break when you do this, which is why I suggest the Mac Tools version.

Good luck.
Old 13-06-2021, 11:19   #8

My guess is they are corroded in and no effort will remove them.
Drill it out:
Use a big centerpunch so that you flatten down the slot edges in the screw head , (otherwise it will chip the drill fast) mark it in the center and drill with a maybe 3/16 sharp bit first. Then bigger drill until you get it out. Even if you could unscrew it , it will take the aluminum out with the screw.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 11:38   #9

Boat: S2 9.1

My mast spent 22 years in salt water before I purchased the boat. I stripped the mast down to bare metal to paint it. The manual impact driver took every SS screw out of the aluminum.

I was amazed, thought I would be doing a fair bit of drilling. All screw heads were Philips which would be easier than flat head.
Good luck!
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 11:59   #10

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
My mast spent 22 years in salt water before I purchased the boat. I stripped the mast down to bare metal to paint it. The manual impact driver took every SS screw out of the aluminum.

I was amazed, thought I would be doing a fair bit of drilling. All screw heads were Philips which would be easier than flat head.
Good luck!
Are we confusing flat head with slot? There are Phillips, Robertson (square), Allen, and torque flat head screws as well as slot.

I too support the use of lots of penetrating oil, some heat, and a GOOD manual impact screwdriver. That thing has saved my day many, many times.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 12:59   #11

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

Save yourself the time and aggravation and just drill them out.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 13:54   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Are we confusing flat head with slot? There are Phillips, Robertson (square), Allen, and torque flat head screws as well as slot.

I too support the use of lots of penetrating oil, some heat, and a GOOD manual impact screwdriver. That thing has saved my day many, many times.
Thank you Scorpius! I was about to start a rant on that subject when I read your post. These are both flat head screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB6FF26A-D98B-480F-BC64-8B59CBFDFFAB.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	240291   Click image for larger version

Name:	2CE0D615-8C23-4141-BDD8-F8A4593B7239.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	240292  

Old 13-06-2021, 14:03   #13

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

If they are stainless...punch them hard, new drills, slow speed, lube, punch, pressure, every time you step up a diameter. Punch, pressure, low speed lots of lube, keep the drill cool.
If you get off center, you can make another stronger, thicker and larger piece.
You can have the goose beefed up by TIG and some extra pieces on a bench and rivet it on the mast. I fill imperfections and the back with 5200.
Tef-Gel ...great on everything except pizza.
Happy trails to you.
The manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 14:05   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For what it is worth, Jim went to allen head screws for our gooseneck, and then drilled and safety wired them. They have been put in with anti-seize, probably lanolin. (We have a small tub of anhydrous lanolin.)

Do try some "weasel piss" penetrating oil (equal parts atf and acetone). It works better, even, than Kroil. And pounding away with the impact driver does usually work, in our experience.

Ann
Old 13-06-2021, 14:15   #15

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I use a hand held impact driver. They are not expensive. Once each bolt moves, from then on it is a matter of going back to your hammer driver. A bit one way, more oil, a bit back the other, more oil, until it is free.

BUT--if that is not working, you may have to get drastic. This means you are going to have to centre-pop each screw and drill it out, then re-tap the holes to accommodate larger screws when it is re-fitted.

You could try to braze an extension on to the heads of each screw using low temperature alloy. I have not tried this on stainless steel myself--but I have heard of it. I have certainly used it on ordinary steel screws and it works on those. Stainless is another matter.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, head