Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2021, 22:43   #1

Boat: Sonata 7m
Home Built Yacht-Ukraine

Would be interested on any thoughts on construction, design of this home built boat
Askeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 23:49   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Home Built Yacht-Ukraine

Askeeta, was every plank glued before they screwed it together? The planking looked way to clean for that to have happened? Nothing wrong with strip plank boat building. The largest strip plank yacht I Have helped build was 47 feet. We didn't muck around screwing the plank edges together, we used silicone bronze nails and screwed the planks to the temporary frames. The planks were cedar with convex and concave on the edges which helped them bed together easier. Then glassed inside and out.
I recently surveyed a strip plank yacht that was never glassed on the inside and you could see the planks had clearly moved on the exterior.
Plenty of good yacht designs that can be built by an amateur. B & G Yacht design have some great yachts that can be easily built.
Cheers
Roberto Barros Yacht Design - List of plan
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 23:56   #3

This is both - fascinating and insane! Took him 5 years and roughly $30K USD. Essentially everything is made by hand, including mast/boom, etc.

He glued the bulkheads, but the outer skin was first screwed to bulkhead and other strips, then covered with epoxy, then layered fiberglass (up-to 5 layers).
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 00:42   #4

He screwed planks on think he also screwed laminated ribs/stations
I thought a very nice job for an amateur ,although according to videos him and wife are builders in Ukraine
I thought boat was a very clean design
Old 19-05-2021, 01:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Askeeta, was every plank glued before they screwed it together? The planking looked way to clean for that to have happened? Nothing wrong with strip plank boat building. The largest strip plank yacht I Have helped build was 47 feet. We didn't muck around screwing the plank edges together, we used silicone bronze nails and screwed the planks to the temporary frames. The planks were cedar with convex and concave on the edges which helped them bed together easier. Then glassed inside and out.
I recently surveyed a strip plank yacht that was never glassed on the inside and you could see the planks had clearly moved on the exterior.
Plenty of good yacht designs that can be built by an amateur. B & G Yacht design have some great yachts that can be easily built.
Cheers
Roberto Barros Yacht Design - List of plan
Thank you for your insightful reply
What did you think of the design/lines?
Old 19-05-2021, 21:22   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Not the worst looking yacht I have seen. Nothing special but then that is my taste. The most important thing in the video was they completed the project. I see to many boats that never get finished.
If you are thinking of building a yacht try and find the smallest easiest design you like. The family and I built a 10 meter multichine plywood yacht in 18 months part time. I designed her so that she could be easily built and suit our local shallow waters.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 22:02   #7

Thanks Fore and Aft

Tags
Ukraine, yacht