Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2023, 20:23   #106

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Gulf Coast 18 Fiberglass Repair and Other Refitt Tasks

I have a cradle for the un-stepped mast on my bow pulpit and a Stingy Sailor type mast crutch for the transom.

Might be fun to splash it and see if there are any leaks below the waterline.
Old 23-06-2023, 22:21   #107

Boat: Gulf Coast 18 sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
A stern rail (pushpit I think) you may find very useful as simply something to lean against or grab onto while sailing. A bow rail/pulpit is probably more optional.

Though my mast attaches to the pulpit for trailering, not sure if you have something else figured out for that.
My trailer has a post on the front for the mast, but nothing on the back. I think it had some kind of loose crutch, Like the ones that fit over the transom or the rudder pintles, but having something permanently on the back would be handy. It would also be a good place to mount a stern light. With the rudder in the way and the transom not being very far out of the water, it would need to be off to one side on a pole, but a stainless rail running over the top gives real estate to keep it symmetrical and out of the way.

I think the only thing I would need to watch is that it dosn't interfere with the mainsheet and traveler. A bow pulpet wouldn't be too hard to bolt in at a later date. I can access the stern later too, but I'll need to break whatever seal I use with the wood gunwale covers, so might be good to sort that out while it's open now.

I'm decent MIG welding and have been needing to learn TIG, but havn't welded Stainless before, so this might be a good opportunity to learn.
M.B. Naegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 22:46   #108

Quote:
I tossed the old porta potty that came with my boat and built a DIY desiccating head using a urine separating seat and a 3 gallon bucket. I’ve tested it in the driveway and it worked great (no noticeable smell an hour later on a warm day). I’m hoping it will be good for a family of 3 for 3-4 days, but I’m still proving that out (like right now, on the water as I type this).

At 18 ft you might find that takes up too much space (I’m at 25). At it roots though, it’s just a bucket with some medium (saw dust, wood shavings, coconut coir) that never sees any urine. That duckworks system seems to be a 3 gallon bucket with some handy accessories. As long as you find another place for urine, I don’t see why you couldn’t add some medium and have a potentially smell-free solution.
I've heard that sawdust works well. I expect the head locker will be more for emergencies most of the time, so as long as it's functional and contains the stuff and smell, that’s all I’m really after. If I'm all alone on the water I can put the bucket on the deck to do my thing.

I crawled around inside the boat again tonight to get a feel for things. The berths are cramped, but once you've in I think they'll be comfortable. The head locker is a little uncomfortable to squat into, but I think it'll be doable. The bottom of the locker is curved, following the hull, so I'll either need to build a stand for the bucket/head to sit on, or I’m thinking I might make a seat recessed into the top lip of the locker and whatever bucket I use can nest into a round hole in that, rather than rest on the bottom of the locker. Of course you'll still be able to pull it out to clean.
Old 23-06-2023, 23:10   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I have a cradle for the un-stepped mast on my bow pulpit and a Stingy Sailor type mast crutch for the transom.

Might be fun to splash it and see if there are any leaks below the waterline.
It's tempting. All the hull really needs at this point is to reinstall the back drain. Otherwise the holes are all filled and now I'm just getting the glass thicker and fairer. If I get a gas can and tune up my outboard, I could motor around.

I plan on using the epoxy primer on all of the top side to seal it up, but only over the new glass on the bottom before repainting it all, as the old bottom paint is still pretty decent and I think the new paint will stick to it well.

I still need to get my trailer registered before hauling the boat anywhere. It's plate and registration sticker were missing and the serial number lead nowhere at the DMV. I'm hoping that since I was able to get the title sorted on the boat, they'll give me the trailer title without any hassle. Otherwise I have to haul the trailer to a different office for an inspection before they'll grant me a new title, so I'll need to get the boat off of it to do that. I'll need to do that anyway at some point to repaint the bottom side of the hull. I'm thinking I'll make some 2x4 legs to lift and support it from the aluminum bumper running around it.
Old 24-06-2023, 20:16   #110

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post

I can access the stern later too, but I'll need to break whatever seal I use with the wood gunwale covers, so might be good to sort that out while it's open now.
….
A thought on this, you could bond in some wood blocks (or something similar) where the stern rail will likely mount. Then when it’s time to make it, make sure you hit those mounting spots, then you can install with stainless lags and not need to access the back side.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 18:52   #111

Quote:
A thought on this, you could bond in some wood blocks (or something similar) where the stern rail will likely mount. Then when it’s time to make it, make sure you hit those mounting spots, then you can install with stainless lags and not need to access the back side.
That's true. Most all of the hardware is thru bolted, unessisarily including most of the teak trim boards in the cabin, and I'd hesitate to break with that as it makes for an stronger rig (or so I've read!). But since a stern rail isn't structural to the hull or rigging, I suppose it would be fine to lag bolt in.

I'm envisioning a single rail that is parallel to the transom and follows the same curve of the house top, which means it would only stick up 12 to 18 inches. In the middle top I'll mount the stern light and run the wire through the rail until the mounting point on top of the starboard gunwale where it'll pass through the deck through a rubber grommet.
Old 30-06-2023, 21:03   #112

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230630_203259.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	277526
Sun was getting low, but I got another batch of epoxy primer brushed on. I'm working from the top down to manage drips and keep the dust and leaves out of the wet paint. The hole in the side of the house is no more, and a few other chips and cracks have disappeared under the paint.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:33   #113

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Looking good M.B.!

Some boats would have had a compass in that hole in the cabin top starboard side of the companionway. Another option for the compass is to fix one to one of the hatch boards used to seal up the companionway. Recent thread on another forum, one needs a login to see all of the embedded pics:
https://trailersailor.com/forum/index.php?topic=286.0
Old 01-07-2023, 12:25   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Looking good M.B.!

Some boats would have had a compass in that hole in the cabin top starboard side of the companionway. Another option for the compass is to fix one to one of the hatch boards used to seal up the companionway. Recent thread on another forum, one needs a login to see all of the embedded pics:
https://trailersailor.com/forum/index.php?topic=286.0
Thanks! I meant the jagged hole is gone. There was a compass in the round hole pictured. I found it rolling around in the bilge and sent pictures to a compass repair shop who said it couldn't be saved sadly, so I bought a new illuminated Ritchie compass to take its place. After I get some top coat paint brushed on, I'll get the new compass installed and wired.

My first sailing adventures will be learning to sail around lake conroe, but eventually I want to do some longer trips down along the coast and I'm not sure if I'll invest in a GPS or trust my boy scout orienteering to cross over to chart plotting. If I do get a GPS, I plan to mount it on an arm inside the companionway so it can swing out beside the compass. That way it's protected when not in use, and accessible while in the berth. I'm not big into smart phones, and a handheld GPS I'm sure will end up overboard.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:08   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
I want to do some longer trips down along the coast and I'm not sure if I'll invest in a GPS or trust my boy scout orienteering to cross over to chart plotting. If I do get a GPS, I plan to mount it on an arm inside the companionway so it can swing out beside the compass. That way it's protected when not in use, and accessible while in the berth. I'm not big into smart phones, and a handheld GPS I'm sure will end up overboard.
That's similar to what I've done on our small boat. I put a Garmin Striker4 fishfinder on a swing arm, and my lovely first mate admiral gave me a Garmin GPSMAP 64st several years ago, to which I added a Navionics marine map for Canada. You can buy latching clips for most handheld GPS units, so I got one, and mated it to a clamp/swivel mount. I just clamp this to the companionway edge, and I tie the GPS lanyard to a cabintop railing as a safety. That sucker will not be going overboard.

I do like my little GPS. I took it when I crewed an overnight race last year, and when the boats main GPS failed, we finished the race on mine. It's also handy for road trips, hiking and biking, etc.

But if I had to start from scratch, I would seriously consider a tablet or smartphone, and some map/GPS app. A good mount or a tether will keep it aboard.

We also have a nice bulkhead compass, and one or two hand bearing compasses. It's fun to take bearings and draw lines on a paper map.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:56   #116

More than likely I'll do both GPS and charts. Part of the draw of the great outdoors is getting away from technology, and I'm already a bit of a ludite. I'm younger but still carry a flip phone and use desktops and a wifi tablet for internet. Technology can be a wonderful aid but I don't like how intertwined it's become in our lives, or how it makes you feel connected to others while promoting distance. Everything gets pushed to digital, then subscription, then it's gone while the next new thing is your only option.

Ok, done ranting, lol! I use Google maps a lot while traveling, but enjoy shutting it off and pulling out the paper maps. I think the safety and utility of having a GPS on board would be prudent, so long as it can be dependable in times of need. The depth and tide readings I see being helpful, especially at night looking for a place to drop anchor and stay there.
Old 03-07-2023, 21:35   #117

Name:	20230703_194155.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	277641

Name:	20230703_195122.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	277642

Name:	20230703_195002.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	277643

Name:	20230703_194308.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	277644
Got a bigger batch of primer brushed on tonight, enough that I can give it all a light sanding and start with the top coat. The old access hole under the port side bench is gone too. I'm using Rustoleum top coat, mostly because it's cheap but also because I can get it any home depot for touch ups and it won't take any special mixing or additives.
Old 03-07-2023, 22:04   #118

So the back round access holes have been moved from the gunwales to the seat backs and further forward. There is still a round access hole in the middle of the bow that I want to keep for ventilation, but I don't like the screw in cover it had. I'm thinking some kind of cowl hood would be a better fit to keep waves and rain out, however I'm having trouble finding one the right size. The current hole is 4 1/2", but most I see fit 3" holes. Anyone know of a cowl vent that would fit the hole without having to fill part of it in? It would be nice too if I can find one with a bug screen and that closes for really bad weather.
Old 07-07-2023, 14:28   #119

Name:	20230706_200513.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	277787
Top coat is going on. Gonna be able to start sealing deck hardware back in place. Also ordered another batch of penetrating epoxy from Jamestown, hopefully enough to finish the wood trim.
Old 07-07-2023, 18:52   #120

I pressure washed the cockpit again in preparation for getting it primered and painted. Also was good to rinse out the belly of the boat full of dust. After that I went ahead and installed the bow light, compass, and electrical box (which I made to mount with the same screws hilding the compass so there's less holes and it coveres up the back of the compass). With the box in, I can run wires while they're easy to get to.

It's starting to look like a boat!

Name:	20230707_202521.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	277796

Name:	20230707_202446.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	277797

Name:	20230707_202509.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	277798

Name:	20230707_202501.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	277799

Name:	20230707_202702.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	277800

I also removed the mooring eye (?) The eye for pulling it up on the trailer. The outside had way too much silicon sealant slathered on and the fiberglass needs some putty work.

Tags
fiberglass, fiberglass repair, gulf coast, refit, repair