Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2020, 12:51   #61

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Getting Desperate- Modify the Shape of Store Bought Refrigerator?

FWIW, that Novakool RFU9000 is the exact fridge I've got. Personally, I'd spend the few extra $$$ on the dual compressor RFU9200 version (came out after I bought mine). That'll give better freezer temp control and more cooling power for hot weather, plus allow the compressors to be run at lower speed (and higher evap temp for the fridge), which should help efficiency compared to running 1 compressor flat out at low evap temp.

Add as much insulation to the outside as space allows, and if you get the 9200, add a fan to the fridge evap. A better condenser fan setup helps things too.

Space wise, it feels like a big fridge. The shelf layout and spacing is good. Last year we loaded up food for a week with 3 of us on the boat and a 4th for a couple of days. Fridge wasn't full, and we had loaded more than needed, as after 9 days we still had a few days of food left. I'm pretty sure it holds at least as much food as the horrid (larger) side by side in my home kitchen (which is narrow and has terrible shelf spacing, leading to poor use of space).

If you need a bit more space sometimes, you could always add a chest fridge or freezer (something like the ARB / Engel units or a home chest freezer) and just leave it off except for when you need to provision beyond what the main fridge/freezer can hold. It's extra weight, of course, but at least not extra power when you don't need all of the capacity.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 12:57   #62

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Ah. Thanks! I didn’t see the “chine hugger “ version before or this 9.1cuft when you had first mentioned these.

A little larger freezer would be nice, but exactly as you said, a smaller efficient, lightweight freezer can be added. 2.5cuft freezer in the Novakool is still half as big as the chest freezer I was looking at. So that’s not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
FWIW, that Novakool RFU9000 is the exact fridge I've got. Personally, I'd spend the few extra $$$ on the dual compressor RFU9200 version (came out after I bought mine). That'll give better freezer temp control and more cooling power for hot weather, plus allow the compressors to be run at lower speed (and higher evap temp for the fridge), which should help efficiency compared to running 1 compressor flat out at low evap temp.

Add as much insulation to the outside as space allows, and if you get the 9200, add a fan to the fridge evap. A better condenser fan setup helps things too.

Space wise, it feels like a big fridge. The shelf layout and spacing is good. Last year we loaded up food for a week with 3 of us on the boat and a 4th for a couple of days. Fridge wasn't full, and we had loaded more than needed, as after 9 days we still had a few days of food left. I'm pretty sure it holds at least as much food as the horrid (larger) side by side in my home kitchen (which is narrow and has terrible shelf spacing, leading to poor use of space).

If you need a bit more space sometimes, you could always add a chest fridge or freezer (something like the ARB / Engel units or a home chest freezer) and just leave it off except for when you need to provision beyond what the main fridge/freezer can hold. It's extra weight, of course, but at least not extra power when you don't need all of the capacity.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 20:28   #63
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I don't see how you can beat the functional ergonomics of a modern home fridge. Especially the doors, with their own shelving etc. The cost of a nice looking one might just be worth it for the door seal functionality and cosmetics alone. You could probably sell the guts of it to the repairman. Go ahead and cut it up, scribe it in. The back wall of it would contain the custom evaporator or whatever it takes to make it work. You could beef up the side insulation with sheet foam lining the space it slides into. The back of it would have to be custom. Go pick out a designer fridge! And cut it up.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 21:16   #64

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

That doesn't sound too easy to me!!

I've made up a fridge/freezer from scratch and that wasn't easy. The only change I would make next time() would be to have front loading.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 22:13   #65

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
My galley down design is driving me nuts.

You need to have the stove/oven, sink and refrigerator in a small area in a properly designed kitchen, even on a boat.

I want to use a decent size home refrigerator/freezer, but due to the fact that boats aren’t square, they don’t fit!

What do you think the feasibility is of cutting the back of the refrigerator near the bottom 1/3 to match the hull shape?

I’m actually considering building a custom front opening refrigerator but I’d much rather modify an existing one to save time/money.

Is this possible?

The refrigerator would be placed athwart ships so the backside of it would need a curve cut out of it to match the hull it needs to cozy up against. The most would be taken from the very bottom of the refrigerator, then less and less cut off as you go higher up the refrigerator, matching the curve of the hull.

The bottom 1/3 of the refrigerator is the only part that would need modification.
If there is room, and you have means to support the refrigerator cabinet from falling backward, then no reason not to. You may need to remove the compressor unit and place to the side of the refrigerator if there is enough 'stretch' in the pipework, and the condenser radiator may need to be moved up out of the way of the tapering base, but other than that ....
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:34   #66

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As a note, Chotu, if you've got any questions about the big Novakool fridges or want any pictures beyond what's on their site, let me know and I'll grab some pics of mine.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 14:46   #67
Marine Service Provider

Our company has been building custom refrigerated boxes of all shapes and sizes for 3 decades.
We aren't cheap, but we guarantee you will get maximum interior space, and efficiency if you choose to have us tackle your needs.
We are the guys who have provided Nordlund, Cabo, Fleming, ACY, to name a few, with custom design and installation.
Pm me if you'd like more info.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:24   #68

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
....What do you think the feasibility is of cutting the back of the refrigerator near the bottom 1/3 to match the hull shape?

I’m actually considering building a custom front opening refrigerator......
Just my opinion, but the first sentence here is an absolute no, and the second a yes. Build your own, or get it built. You are crazy to try to use a standard refrigerator and modify it to your hull shape.
If you don’t think you can do it yourself, and don’t have a yard that has some experience with it… Call a food service equipment fabricating company and ask them to come out and take a look, and explain what you need. You will be amazed what they can do.
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:25   #69

Have a look here. Compressor on the side can easily be relocated.
Dimensions list also available. Get someone speaking German. Not available in English and US-Dialects.

https://www.yachtzubehoer24.eu/epage.../3029BB2D00000

Good luck
Georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:37   #70

I would buy one that has the radiator on the back, then you can strip the sides off and reconfigure the insulation. I would try to arrange air circulation around the radiator to improve efficiency. The radiator should bend a little if you are careful. Alternatively, reconfigure an aircon and build the fridge from scratch. If you can create a thermosiphon to vent the warm air outside, so much the better.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:27   #71

Boat: Cal 2-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Poster Bill Seal got it right. Build a box and fit the compressor somewhere you don’t want noise. Get a Samsung scroll compressors.
I’d build two boxes with thick 4” insulation. One freeze top load.
Refer front door maybe draws.
We have two commercial 24” refrigerators. The top a door, the bottom two draws. Freezer top load.
Drawings would help...not engineering, just a sketch.
Happy trails to you
Mark and his cold, cold beer drinking manatees
Is that Compressor available as a 12Volt system?
Char99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:00   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaav View Post
Just my opinion, but the first sentence here is an absolute no, and the second a yes. Build your own, or get it built. You are crazy to try to use a standard refrigerator and modify it to your hull shape.
If you don’t think you can do it yourself, and don’t have a yard that has some experience with it… Call a food service equipment fabricating company and ask them to come out and take a look, and explain what you need. You will be amazed what they can do.
Well, since I built the whole boat I’m pretty sure I can build an icebox and stick an evaporator in it.

But it’s a waste of time to do that project. You need to optimize your time building boats.

So, I’m going with an off the shelf unit, not modified, against a rear bulkhead. Plug and play, a slightly longer walk away from the food prep area into a room that has no purpose yet. Seems to be a prep galley and laundry folding area and workbench type area. Like a utility room. That’s where we willl put it.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:41   #73

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Easy solution - get Engel components (compressor, cold plate, tubing, fan) from the US Dealer and install in your own designed super insulated top loading box. A friend of mine installed two in lieu of his factory fridge and freezer in a 50' cat. They are compact, efficient, and quiet. I have the Engel 35 which draws 3 amps when running, which it does about half the time in the tropics. With a well insulated box it would run less. Mine is a stand alone plug in the cigarette lighter; all my electrics run off of solar panels. Cold beer from hot sun!
Engelcoolers.com +1 561-743-7419
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:57   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
Easy solution - get Engel components (compressor, cold plate, tubing, fan) from the US Dealer and install in your own designed super insulated top loading box. A friend of mine installed two in lieu of his factory fridge and freezer in a 50' cat. They are compact, efficient, and quiet. I have the Engel 35 which draws 3 amps when running, which it does about half the time in the tropics. With a well insulated box it would run less. Mine is a stand alone plug in the cigarette lighter; all my electrics run off of solar panels. Cold beer from hot sun!
Engelcoolers.com +1 561-743-7419
You have a cool boat!

I staunchly refuse to have a top opening refrigerator on my boat. No way, no how. LOL. I graduated up from that boating annoyance quite some time ago.

I’ll go with the off the shelf refrigerator/freezer unit on the aft bulkhead. Good power consumption, great looking and working fridge
Old 05-10-2020, 11:25   #75

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

So, mount the plates sideways so that you can open from the front instead of the top. You can buy the components and install them any way you like. I t wouldn't hurt to call the US dealer for Engel and discuss the project.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator