Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2020, 05:48   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Getting a perfect surface with wood?

Doing interior things, on the catamaran, may have to be done in wood in some areas.

If you are building say, a bookcase out of plywood, how do you get perfect surfaces for paint? And make it in such a way that the paint never peels off?

I’m trying to make things as water resistant as possible, with a perfectly smooth surface for a high gloss, and might have a little gaps here and there to fill. What would you fill the gaps with?

Basically, how can you take wood and make complicated boxes and structures with doors, yet have it come out looking like perfect modern cabinetry? And have it being somewhat water resistant like modern cabinetry is? There will be lots of changes of temperature and humidity.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 06:02   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Getting a perfect surface with wood?

Have you thought about buying modular type cupboards?

If you make up cupboards you probably find a router to be very useful. But you really need an orbital sander to get a good finish after you had filled any gaps with epoxy putty. You wouldn't have problems with paint falling off if you follow the instructions.

You could work out a design by Googling(image) something like catamaran internal joinery. (I think it is very important to have a "theme'

You could look for models of your yacht for sale and they will have a photo gallery

If you are not good at wood-work don't be too ambitious.

You shouldn't use high gloss paint on yacht interiors as it will show up imperfections.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cata...h=654&biw=1109
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 06:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

First use a fine grade of plywood, then use sanding sealer, and sand and seal, it’s easy to get a glass smooth finish.
Or use a pore filler, interestingly if you google pore filling primer, you get women’s make up.
https://youtu.be/pAdGvcYezCk

On edit, also known as grain fillers
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 06:15   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=yacht+joinery
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 06:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Have you thought about buying modular type cupboards?

If you make up cupboards you probably find a router to be very useful. But you really need an orbital sander to get a good finish after you had filled any gaps with epoxy putty. You wouldn't have problems with paint falling off if you follow the instructions.

You could work out a design by Googling(image) something like catamaran internal joinery. (I think it is very important to have a "theme'

You could look for models of your yacht for sale and they will have a photo gallery

If you are not good at wood-work don't be too ambitious.

You shouldn't use high gloss paint on yacht interiors as it will show up imperfections.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cata...h=654&biw=1109
Damn. This is like a never ending disaster. I can never get anything to work with this boat interior. Getting tired of it frankly. Getting tired of doing this finish work. I don’t know how to do any of it.

Isn’t there a standard way to make an interior? A way that goes up fast? Doesn’t cost that much? And it’s lightweight? Or at least a reasonable combination of all three?

I have absolutely no experience building with wood. I have tried using foam with a Formica face. That is not working so great, because the adhesive that is compatible with the foam is not sticking so well. The formica likes to peel back and retain a curled shape.

Note, I always forget to add this, because I figure everyone on the forum knows, but I cannot use epoxy. It is out of the question. I am severely allergic and it puts me in the hospital.

Wood, foam, paint, Formica, polyester. Those are the materials I can use. Unless there’s one I’m missing.

I’m also pretty allergic to mold. Everything is gloss in the boat. No other exception to that. It needs to be very visible, white, and able to be cleaned instantly with a sponge.
Old 18-04-2020, 06:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
First use a fine grade of plywood, then use sanding sealer, and sand and seal, it’s easy to get a glass smooth finish.
Or use a pore filler, interestingly if you google pore filling primer, you get women’s make up.
https://youtu.be/pAdGvcYezCk

On edit, also known as grain fillers
OK, thanks. I will take a look at this stuff. I was not aware of a sanding sealer before. That is new to me. I don’t know anything about working with wood. I’m getting very frustrated in general with this interior.
Old 18-04-2020, 06:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
You know, I don’t normally have the band with to watch a bunch of videos, but I do at this time. Good idea. Maybe there is some techniques here that I can adapt. Thank you.
Old 18-04-2020, 06:53   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The central point is that you need to fill the grain before you paint. Paint is lousy at filling grain. a64pilot has got it.

Consider purchasing cabinet fronts. The door and face are available, finished and ready to go. That's what custom cabinet makers use.

Here's one of many sources:

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ab/best-...5fab905438e0aa
Old 18-04-2020, 06:54   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If mold and wood working are concerns, why not save some weight and get out the fiberglass, foam and polyester and build foam cored glass panels to use? Unless you want the look of wood, that might be the better option.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:00   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

You can get a good surface by buying sanded ply, then rolling/spraying several coats of primer and sanding between coats.
You can buy foam panels with a fiberglass surface on both faces called "Decolite". Peel off the peel-ply and glue with plexus, then tab your corners with poly or vinylester and glass.
There is though, no cheap, quick, and easy way to do this right or even elegantly. Cheap will be slow and difficult. Easy will be the expense of hiring an expert. Perhaps the best thing to do is lower your expectations to match your ability and get something together that will get you seafaring ASAP. I guarantee that when you're sailing large over the Bahama bank with the sun glinting off the ripples, the last thought in your mind will be: boy, I wish that counter face was smoother.
Old 18-04-2020, 07:00   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

You should try using a water based clear urethane. Light colored birch cabinet grade plywood. Dries very quickly, light sanding between coats. Use the white mini foam rollers.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:07   #12

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

The 'problems' with wood finishes on a boat can be generally summed up as a result of the interactions of three things; moisture, joints and differing expansion coefficients.

Whilst is is fairly easy to get mirror, or close to mirror-smooth, surfaces on wood (see the previous suggestions), the result won't last long unless the three factors listed are taken into mutual consideration.

And environmental factors on a boat, especially a comparatively flexible cat, are working against you from the beginning. Which is why in previous discussions I've tried to stress that everything that is included in a vessels construction needs to be considered an integral part of its structure, cabinetry included.

So, to minimize the effects of these interactions, and the problems initiating from them, joints should be very secure; close-fitted, glued and screwed, all surfaces exposed to air, interior and exterior, and not glued to the hull must be sealed (preferably with the same paint or coating that you use on the exterior of the cabinets).

Flexibility or elasticity of the cured coating should also be considered and taken into account for longest term adhesion.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
You can get a good surface by buying sanded ply, then rolling/spraying several coats of primer and sanding between coats.
You can buy foam panels with a fiberglass surface on both faces called "Decolite". Peel off the peel-ply and glue with plexus, then tab your corners with poly or vinylester and glass.
There is though, no cheap, quick, and easy way to do this right or even elegantly. Cheap will be slow and difficult. Easy will be the expense of hiring an expert. Perhaps the best thing to do is lower your expectations to match your ability and get something together that will get you seafaring ASAP. I guarantee that when you're sailing large over the Bahama bank with the sun glinting off the ripples, the last thought in your mind will be: boy, I wish that counter face was smoother.
Isn’t that the truth? That’s exactly where I’m trying to get to. Now that I have a little time out here on the Monohull In cooler temperatures where my brain works, doing easy tasks instead of building, my mind is wandering through some of these details. Trying to think of ways I could get this done faster. But now there’s not any money coming in. Thanks to the virus. But I also still need to keep it light weight. I will take a look at these Decolite panels
Old 18-04-2020, 07:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Doing interior things, on the catamaran, may have to be done in wood in some areas.

If you are building say, a bookcase out of plywood, how do you get perfect surfaces for paint? And make it in such a way that the paint never peels off?

I’m trying to make things as water resistant as possible, with a perfectly smooth surface for a high gloss, and might have a little gaps here and there to fill. What would you fill the gaps with?

Basically, how can you take wood and make complicated boxes and structures with doors, yet have it come out looking like perfect modern cabinetry? And have it being somewhat water resistant like modern cabinetry is? There will be lots of changes of temperature and humidity.
Take s full sheet of plywood . Prime the plywood , once the primer is dry use polyester body filler and a wide blade to scim the surface and fill the grain , sand flush , one more coat of primer

Let primer dry , machine plywood for component building , preassemble ,

Sand primer , apply topcoat

This is how top shipyards build mega yachts

Epoxy and two component products are best

It shrinks less, hence less chance of grain print thru

Single component and polyester filler can also be used
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 09:07   #15

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

Use an oil-based primer, sand smooth. Apply a second coat. Sand smooth.
Apply an oil-based paint. Sand smooth. repeat as needed.
Read the label before using a 2 part paint, many are not formulated for wood.
Do not use latex paint, it does not get hard and will mildew.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote