Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2019, 13:15   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Galley refit on 27' sailboat?

Spent the afternoon fitting the little Alpicool C20 fridge/freezer and fired it up. After a few minutes the temperature dropped quickly being empty but very quiet. Just need to finish off the woodwork and fit a shunt to see how much power it's using.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpicool.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	203214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpicool2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	203215  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 13:51   #17

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Awesome, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 14:29   #18

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
In my experience very few owner modified boats look or function as well as originally designed and built. Many are never quite finished, or done quite right. And most, I would say, devalue the boat. Few non marine grade materials hold up well onboard.
I think you will find it difficult to beat the original design and engineering that went into your boat's galley.
Also consider that the bulk heads and counter tops may be fiberglassed to the hull and be structuraly important. And don't forget the weight and balance factor.
I would spend my money upgrading the components and refinishing the surfaces. And would think long and hard on any really big changes.

So that would probably be most every boat over 5 years old

Seems like lots of the drop in fridges would look factory if done with a just little sense and access to google, lots of blogs of people doing just that and they look better than OEM
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 14:38   #19
cruiser

Lol. Can't just drop another galley into your boat.

Gotta just scrub her down, spray her off, dry her out sand her down and revarnish. You could use some high density plastic to replace components but remember, that'll suck.
Keep it stock, add a few new appliances and make due.
Do not alter the boat because the next owners will hate you if you ever can sell it.
DDouglasone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 14:51   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDouglasone View Post
Do not alter the boat because the next owners will hate you if you ever can sell it.
We did keep the wardrobe pieces that came out to create the space for the freezer just in case, but I doubt it is ever going to go back in.

There would be a quite a bit of work changing a whole galley particularly since nothing is square or level. New counter tops and stove would be easier leaving the original cupboards in place.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 20:52   #21

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
New counter tops and stove would be easier leaving the original cupboards in place.

Pete
Alas, the stove is gone. And the existing cupboards are hideous and barely functional. Maybe I'll try wood filler, painting and some new pulls.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 04:19   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

You'd be surprised what a little paint and some sanding etc can do to the inside of an old boat.

I sailed it "as is" for the first 7 years though not counting bottom and topside paint on the hull

Lamps and shades were added. Soon a Standard Horizon GX2200 will replace the old SH Intrepid VHF as soon as I hook it up which should take about 5 minutes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old interior1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	203233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00232.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	203234  

Name:	DSC00234.jpg
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	203235   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00237.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	203236  

Name:	DSC00238.jpg
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	203237  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 09:20   #23

Thomm225, you just gave me some sprucing up ideas. I wouldn't change my teak encrusted cabin as I like the "English library" look but the small touches such as folding blinds may be just what I need to lively up the cabin. And perhaps tiling the counter space with engineered tiles or some such. And new upholstery over my original early 80s cushions. Surprisingly the foam itself is in very good shape.

My experinece with my previous boats was that it doesn't make economic sense to put more than a few personal touches into improving the nonstructural visual components inside the cabin. One does not buy a good old boat for beauty contests but for sailing and fun on the water. And the more one puts time and $$ into unending projects the less time on the water and the less fun with the boat one will have. KISS principle rules.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 10:00   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Thomm225, you just gave me some sprucing up ideas. I wouldn't change my teak encrusted cabin as I like the "English library" look but the small touches such as folding blinds may be just what I need to lively up the cabin. And perhaps tiling the counter space with engineered tiles or some such. And new upholstery over my original early 80s cushions. Surprisingly the foam itself is in very good shape.

My experinece with my previous boats was that it doesn't make economic sense to put more than a few personal touches into improving the nonstructural visual components inside the cabin. One does not buy a good old boat for beauty contests but for sailing and fun on the water. And the more one puts time and $$ into unending projects the less time on the water and the less fun with the boat one will have. KISS principle rules.
Great! The shades are Oceanair. Maybe $200 worth. Lamps are LED.

https://www.ahoycaptain.com/oceanair_pls.html

I thought I had to stay with a darker color for the interior but my son painted a section white which I really didn't like at first and even asked him to repaint it.

Then I decided to wait and think about it especially since it was a rather hard area to paint with lots of things that had to be taped etc

I finally decided to continue with the light colors and it turn out great. Btw, all my repaint projects have been completed in the offseason. The painting above was done last November 2018- March 2019. (plus bottom and topsides)

I'm going to repaint the cabin sole with semi gloss this Winter as the flat I used before seems to attached dirt/stains.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, grass, refit, sail, sailboat