Originally Posted by MikeHoncho
Not knowing the science behind it and just seeing a couple second video of it, I am completely skeptical given they are using a flammable liquid. That wasn't gasoline by the way. I believe a continuous feed electrical fire would be even more of a skeptical situation for this "sticker"
And not likely to have gasoline in an electrical enclosure, nor anything else that can support combustion (rated plastics, like electrical tape and wire nuts, are self-extinguishing. But yes, the key difference with electrical fires is that the heat source often maintains.
Creating a realistic fire for a demonstration is intentionally difficult, and thus hard to replicate.
They are above the fire because that is where the heat goes. Fire detection is always placed high. The agent is a gas (Actually pyrotechnic, I believe).
Yeah, other than smell, how would you know they reacted? Thus, they are not going to function for an unattended boat (the fire will probably re-light). What about when you are there?
Where do fires start on boats?
* fuel leaks
. You'll need a lot more agent.
* sump pumps overheat. Not enclosed space. Do the stickers resist moisture?
* shore power
inlet. Sustained overload in most cases.
* other motors. Generally not in boxes.
I've had two incipient fires. One was a fan motor
(not enclosed space) and the other were wires the PO tucked under the carpet liner and spliced by twisting, not even taped (!)(not in a box).
, but I'm not sure panel fires are really a small boat
(not super yacht or ship) problem. Industry has a lot more power
flowing through panels; 100-400 KVA is common, compared to 1-2 KVA on a boat and 4-6 KVA in a home. Home outlets (0.7 KVA) and panels are often old and neglected, but just fix it while you are in there installing the sticker. New guts are cheaper than the sticker!
They did not list life expectancy. Opening outlets to replace them every few years sounds like a pain.
What if the adhesive
lets go and they fall off?
I wonder if they are a solution to a non-problem? But a cool concept
I have tested the Maus-type extinguishers. Very interesting and very effective, with confined space drawbacks they don't mention (terrible visibility problems, breathing problems).