Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2022, 09:15   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Epoxy tricks?

I built some nice hinged doors for my boat a couple of years ago. They are oak with tinted polycarbonate panels. The sun did a number on them over the last two years, and I need to re-coat them with epoxy and varnish.

I've already sanded them down and they're ready for coating. Does anyone have a trick for doing the epoxy and varnish on both sides at once, so I can cut down the time it takes? When the doors were first built, it took a couple of weeks to finish all the work, with laying multiple coats of epoxy on one side then the other, sanding and repeating. And, then doing the whole process over again with varnish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-doors.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	255738   Click image for larger version

Name:	doors-10.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	255739  

Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 19:44   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Epoxy tricks?

If you take them off the boat you might be able to hang them by the handles or the hinges and get access to both sides that way.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 19:47   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Sometimes I will use finishing nails as little feet to elevate a piece so I can coat all sides. You could also devise a way to use the hardware mounting holes to hang the pieces from wires and double-triple check for drips on the lowest corners. A third way to do flat stuff is to finish the two large flat faces and one vertical one horizontal edge and rest it on the uncoated horizontal and vertical edge with a slight lean against a wall. the go back and do the previously uncoated edges. Or use small pieces of wood to jack things up and realize that there will be some sort of touch-up when trying to work 'in the round'.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:16   #4

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Thanks for the suggestions. I just bit the bullet and started doing one side at a time. Luckily, the Total Boat epoxy hardens pretty fast. It's set up within 2 hours and ready for another coat.

I'll probably do something different when I start the varnish. That doesn't dry very fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doors-01.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	255804   Click image for larger version

Name:	doors-02.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	255805  

Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags