Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 07:28   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Encapsulating/ covering teak deck

As part of the never-ending saga of leaking teak decks on older boats, I found a yacht for sale with an "interesting" solution:

original Teak Deck - covered and sealed with 4 coats of Epoxy and 4 coats of Polyurethane

Forgetting for a moment that this darned thing won't let me change the font back, I found this to be a novel solution...but how effective might it be?

Theoretically, a dry, encapsulated teak deck should be OK. Of course, there is undoubtedly the existing rot in the sandwich deck, but if it's not too bad one could live with it and not have increased damage.

But in reality? Oh, font just returned by itself. OK...in reality, wouldn't there be flexing and additional water intrusion? Might it though decrease water egress to the point the boat is usable for "my" lifetime?

We looked at a different, gorgeous boat w/ teak decks. Unfortunately it had leaked, the decks proper were saturated, dark water drips down the interior, and the floor totally destroyed- gone. This boat is a $40k job just to repair, and is off the list.

But what about the above mentioned "repaired" boat? I'm sure the answer will be walk away, but I'm inquisitive.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:34   #2

Re: Encapsulating/ covering teak deck

No comments? Can't believe it.

Would anyone knowledgeable buy a boat like that, with caveats?
Old 16-08-2018, 07:41   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

Wood and epoxy expand and contract differently. I would expect cracking and delamination shortly. I would not even remotely consider this a "repair".
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:46   #4

It's a terrible "solution".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
No comments? Can't believe it.

Would anyone knowledgeable buy a boat like that, with caveats?
All your concerns are valid. I would not consider buying such a boat.

The only real reason to have a teak deck is for it's unmatched nonskid properties. That boat will have an ice skating rink when the deck is wet. You have ALL the problems of a teak deck, plus the huge ongoing maintenance of a varnished surface with constant sun exposure, and NONE of the advantages.

Last but not least... teak decks get really hot in the tropical sun... I wonder what the temperature rating of the epoxy that was used? Some are low enough to be of concern...

Lastly, when you see a boat where somebody does something like this, you have to wonder what other uninformed, dumb things they have done that you haven't found--yet.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 08:01   #6

You are right that a dry, encapsulated teak deck would be okay. But it has to be DRY! If it is not (and if it is leaking then it absolutely is NOT!), then encapsulating it does not stop the rot. It will continue to spread, and get worse. When teak decks start to leak, encapsulating them is a short-term, half-assed way to deal with it. It is nothing more than a way to pass the problem along to the next owner.

The right way to do it is to pull up all the teak, remove all the wet substrate, and then either replace the deck with new teak, or reinforce the deck -- usually with plywood -- and encapsulate it at that time.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 08:05   #7

The Teak decks were 'fixed'. What was temporarily stopped were the leaks.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 08:05   #8

A resin coated deck will leak soon if it wasn't done with glass. As noted teak decks get so hot you cant walk on them, they expand and contract.
If you like the boat well enough at a great price, ask the owner if you can drill a few holes from the inside in the overhead under the deck in places that wont show. Remove the wood debris from the drill twist with your fingernail and squeeze it between your thumb and fore finger. Water will come out if it's wet.. You can check the core that way. If the core's still good you can remove the teak decks and make it a good boat. But it better be cheap and you better have a lot of time!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 08:33   #9

For clarification, the decks are epoxied white, so it looks like any other deck. Woe be to the buyer who doesn't know the "repair".

I thought of a second issue, that being in a cold climate the deck (not teak, the actual cored deck) is going to freeze and expand and probably lift the teak/ reface and crack.

I wish there were an easier way. So many gorgous boats, so many saturated decks, so many ruined interiors.
Old 16-08-2018, 08:53   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Bad idea... and i'm surprised they would be willing to go to that much work and expense and not remove the teak..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 08:59   #11

Boat: 41' yawl

Did they use fiberglass, or did the just do resin?

How did they prevent water from entering at the edges of the repair?

Obviously having wood under fiberglass isn't inherently a bad thing, pretty much all of us have cored decks, but the devil is in the details.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 09:41   #12

Boat: Whitby 42

I met someone who covered them with Rino Liner. The stuff they do truck beds with, it was an off white and looked like it held up good. It was on for years when I saw it.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 09:57   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I met someone who covered them with Rino Liner. The stuff they do truck beds with, it was an off white and looked like it held up good. It was on for years when I saw it.
Interesting... I would have thought it would be very susceptible to thermal expansion and contraction...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 13:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Interesting... I would have thought it would be very susceptible to thermal expansion and contraction...
Rhino Liner is a flexible material, so it would flex with the expansion and contraction. Still just covering up the problem, instead of fixing it, of course.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 22:37   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If the wood is wet the rot will continue. There's probably enough moisture inside (from cooking, showers) to keep the rot going. The rot has to be treated to stop it. Otherwise the support under the deck gradually goes away and the covering will crack. You can try borate, a legal wood preservative. But it mixes with water so you still have to dry the wood. There were wood preservatives that worked really good, before the EPA.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, enc, teak, teak deck