Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 21:25   #31

Re: Easiest teak treatment, please!!!

I love wood. I love teak, and mahogany. I'm old school. I love bright shiny finishes.

I realize that you're looking for the "easiest" treatment, and that "simple is the key", yet sanding and varnishing can be fun - if you like wood - and waking up to well-varnished hardwood makes me smile. Yup, it takes some time every few years, but it sure can make you happy ... maybe. My father used to refinish the console of his Boston Whaler Eastport every few years. Sure looked dandy, indeed.

Many people don't know this, yet if you softly caress, sand, and varnish wood, the wood will start talking to you and singing elegant love songs. It's weird, but very cool.

Ok, I digress. Carry on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whaler.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	143884  
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 09:54   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
The secret is not scubbing and use salt water.
Where the hell am I going to find salt water? West Marine?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 14:08   #33

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
There's a market possibility??? People are silly enough to buy fresh water . Chinese call it "Sky Water" wonder why???
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 14:20   #34

Boat: Valiant 40

I had some teak bits on my Parker center console that I put Semco on. Very nice look, and yes, it generally disappears before it darkens, and you just wipe another coat on.

Sounds like your teak is almost shot, which I assume means deteriorated with the pulp worn out of the grain so it's rough and grooved. Oil it and that is going to collect dirt, no matter what, so I don't think you'll get away without having to go at it with teak cleaner every now and then before you re-oil.

If I were in your shoes I would do what I could to sand the teak smooth, hit it with some teak cleaner to get the grey out, then oil it. That will probably give you a relatively maintenance free result and you may get away with only periodic re-oiling.

Mary Kate Teak Cleaner is pretty effective. If you need something stronger (an cheaper) by a bottle of Oxalic acid crystals. It's the standard boatyard stuff for restoring/cleaning weathered teak.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 14:34   #35

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If ya really really want to do the salt water thing, you can buy "Instant Ocean" at aquarium stores or Amazon . But ya know...
Old 25-03-2017, 15:38   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
If ya really really want to do the salt water thing, you can buy "Instant Ocean" at aquarium stores or Amazon . But ya know...
Hell with that!!!!!
I do 20% water changes on my marine tanks every week. Thats about 100 gallons that go down the drain every week.

I'll give it to you for free..all you have to do is come get it!!!!
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 22:07   #37

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
I have a 34 foot sailboat with teak toe rails, coamings, and grab rails, and a few other trim items.
I let it weather for the past 20 years and now it is disappearing. I need to cover it with something. I have considered paint, but I am not sure I could bring myslef to do it.
I am seeking the easiest treatment that I can do.

Practical sailor said that Semco is very easy. You coat the wood after a washing. Then it last 3 to six months. Then you wash the wood and coat again. No special teak cleaners or sealers are needed. The coating just wears away and you recoat. What could be simpler? At least that is what PS said.
I like this concept and would choose such a product, if one is available.
Simple is the key here.

Anyone have any input here?
SEMCO - 1 treatment lasts us 1-2 years (we cover our boat in the off-season). Teak (that is looked after) is beautiful, and lower maintenance than gel-coat decks (that show the slightest bit of dirt, and need washing every few days.
Teak that is not looked after, erodes and slowly washes over the side.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:15   #38

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Semco seems to have some supporters here but it sure doesn't seem to be service life. Unless it doesn't darken before it wears off 3-6 months (per Practical Sailor) seems inferior to the year or more I get from denatured linseed oil. Of course, it turns very dark in the Florida sun a month or two after application.
It seems like varnish may be the only way to keep that nice teak color but I will know more after using Cetol next month.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 09:24   #39

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Semco is a different product than oil or varnish.

Semco is a wood sealer and UV protector. Easiest of all products to apply, but only lasts a number of months. 2 coats of Semco will last 4-6 months. Semco does not turn black. The black after the linseed oil application is mildew, Semco doesn't allow the water to penetrate, hence no mildew.

Unlike other products, if you don't like Semco, let it fade away or use a good teak cleaner and it's gone.

Your choice of the various products depends on how much effort you want to put forth. An hour or two with Semco every 4-6 months, or days with varnish every 12-18 months.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 17:55   #40

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
You should sand it first and get it smooth and shape it a bit. It will look more elegant and should be strong enough still. Finish with 240 sandpaper with the grain. Mask and finish with whatever or leave natural but NEVER scrub. Just wipe down when you think about it with salt water. Lin and Larry's decks are still perfect after over 30 years. The secret is not scubbing and use salt water.
The problem is that teak decks these days (on boats that most of us can afford anyway), are only 10mm thick when new. The old way of doing it when decks were 25 - 35mm thick are not appropriate. The teak wears away unless you protect it with something like Semco. No protection, and it wears, and 10mm becomes 9mm, and 8mm, and .......

Grey decks mean wearing away - if the decks are thick, you can get away with it for years. If they are thin, then be prepared to spend money.

Semco for us is the best we have found - looks like freshly sanded teak - no sheen, no real sign of a coating, but the coating it there, and it slowly wears away - just as the teak would if the coating was not there. You replace the coating, not the teak.

Our boat was new in 2012. We did not discover Semco until 2013, where we cleaned (there goes some teak over the side, as evidenced by slight 'tramlines' here and there), then coated. The decks have looked new again ever since. This year we are due for re-coating when we return next month. The last time we re-coated the deck was late May 2015 (we have a winter cover, so of course that makes a difference).

I hope that helps people still wondering the best way to go.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 12:27   #41

Boat: Scout 30

Petit has come out with a new type of varnish called Sea Gold. Has anybody tried it? Sounds like it's as easy to apply as Cetol but with the look of real varnish.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...data-sheet.pdf
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 23:06   #42

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

No maintenance
I like an old, dirty look on teak-deck
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, men, teak