Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 09:46   #16

Boat: X-Yachts, X-512, 51.2
Re: Easiest teak treatment, please!!!

Oxalic acid 10% an leave from 5 to max 15 min, after rinse very well. We never use any kind of oil, leaving the teak as is and, during the year, salt water.
stevenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:18   #17

Boat: cal29
Thumbs down Re: Easiest teak treatment, please!!!

Painting teak, or for that matter, any wood on the exterior of a boat is like asking for a job that you will have to (not want) do for the rest of your life that you don't want to get paid for.
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:18   #18

I am surprised it till the 15th comment to get to your comment
brmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
I have a 34 foot sailboat with teak toe rails, coamings, and grab rails, and a few other trim items.
I let it weather for the past 20 years and now it is disappearing. I need to cover it with something. I have considered paint, but I am not sure I could bring myslef to do it.
I am seeking the easiest treatment that I can do.

Practical sailor said that Semco is very easy. You coat the wood after a washing. Then it last 3 to six months. Then you wash the wood and coat again. No special teak cleaners or sealers are needed. The coating just wears away and you recoat. What could be simpler? At least that is what PS said.
I like this concept and would choose such a product, if one is available.
Simple is the key here.

Anyone have any input here?
Try this,it's easy to apply and looks greatClick image for larger version

Name:	1490377362080.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	143860
jmac9365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:53   #20

Boat: Scout 30

For UV protection you're looking for iron oxide. I don't think sunscreen for people is gonna work for this unless you're prepared to reapply it every 3-4 hours.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 11:07   #21

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
For UV protection you're looking for iron oxide. I don't think sunscreen for people is gonna work for this unless you're prepared to reapply it every 3-4 hours.
I thought that too, but did a section and after a month or so, that section looked better than the rest. But after x number of rains, even if it soaks in a bit, I can't believe sunscreen would still be as effective. I was planning to try Howards Sun Shield or 303 Aerospace for sun protection this year. Or I could get a HALS or titanium dioxide additive which are both used in protective paints. But was looking for something more over the counter.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 11:34   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac9365 View Post
Try this,it's easy to apply and looks greatAttachment 143860
This sounds pretty interesting. How's it holding up?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 11:51   #23

Great .. they also sell some super teak cleaner that works for great after the initial coats ..you don't have to sand it after three or four months or as needed you just wash it and put on a couple more coats on it,it goes on like chocolate milk if you spill it on the gel coat it just wipes right off but once it dries overnight it gets a nice medium Sheen to it
Old 24-03-2017, 11:55   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

If it is 20 years old leave it as it is. The chsnce is good that it is naturally grown. Grind it thoroughly with sand like our forefathers and then wash it regularely with saltwater and a soft brush.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac9365 View Post
Great .. they also sell some super teak cleaner that works for great after the initial coats ..you don't have to sand it after three or four months or as needed you just wash it and put on a couple more coats on it,it goes on like chocolate milk if you spill it on the gel coat it just wipes right off but once it dries overnight it gets a nice medium Sheen to it
Click image for larger version

Name:	1490382349403.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	143862Click image for larger version

Name:	1490382362206.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	143863 this is a couple of pics on our teak and the boat ia a 2009
Old 24-03-2017, 12:24   #26

I cannot recommend Teak Wonder.

Ceatol looks best, easy once a year.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:41   #27

Boat: Taswell 43

Depends on where the teak is and what you're trying to do. when we were in Asia, we used Deks Oljie all the time on our caprail and handrails...it's a soft finish, but easy to repair and does a great job of protecting the teak from the sun. But I can't find it anywhere here in the US. We've switched to Semco, trying to protect our decks and topsides teaK from sun and spills, but still keep some traction when we walk on them (non-oily!). We've used it on our decks now for 3 full years, redoing it 1/year at the start if the new sailing season before we leave the marina in Puerto Rico. I did alot of looking and research before we selected Semco, and have been very happy with the choice; we plan to continue using it
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 13:43   #28

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

Following
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 16:00   #29

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
Practical sailor said that Semco is very easy. You coat the wood after a washing. Then it last 3 to six months.
I use CETOL. I would apply a single coat, and it would look good for a whole season. Some people would go nuts and apply many coats to get a shiny finish that would last a little longer, then peel off in chunks if not maintained.

The hard part is cleaning the teak. Sure, potions may help, but in the end there is no substitute for elbow grease...a stiff brush with lots of water, and maybe a little sanding. If possible, remove the teak to work on it on a proper work bench...you'll get better results and save your back and knees.

I've owned 8 boats, and almost every one came with teak that looked terrible. To me, working on the teak is a fun "at anchor" activity with the kids, and the results are impressive...makes your boat look brand new again.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 18:43   #30

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

You should sand it first and get it smooth and shape it a bit. It will look more elegant and should be strong enough still. Finish with 240 sandpaper with the grain. Mask and finish with whatever or leave natural but NEVER scrub. Just wipe down when you think about it with salt water. Lin and Larry's decks are still perfect after over 30 years. The secret is not scubbing and use salt water.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, men, teak