Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 06:09   #1
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Dump Airhead urine in galley sink?

i was introduced to composting toilets by a friend a few years ago..
this is not a simple way of doing one's business. there are extra storage needs, there is e-choli loose in the boat being stored for disposal.
storage of peat moss in places wherein there is need to stow other items necessary for repairs and feeding of crew ...
there is the pee that needs to remain separated from the poo...this is not a simple way of doing anything.
pee is a sterile fluid and stinks after a few hours outside the body.
chlorine with urine, chlorine with any ammonia product--produces a noxious gas used in ww2 and ww1 for neurotoxin warfare. lol
there are many ways of disposing of urine without producing dangerous gases--try rinsing with water then pouring vinegar to neutralize the stink and urea ...
good luck.
i will remain happy with my occasional dripping leaks from the pump of my jabsco manual toilet, made especially for marine environments. a few extra flushes and no more smell...cannot say that for the composting head...this is one that the smell is constant and one may or may not acclimate to this odor on boat, depending on one's olfactory genetics....
if you guys can deal with this system, good on ye...i am not able to tolerate this in my boat.
it is great whenye have a farm for recyclement of th e products, but, i dont have that option, nor will i ever have that option.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley