Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 14:33   #1

Dumb question about sanding and gel coat

This is the bottom of a 1974 cal20. I'm sanding it so that I can do an epoxy barrier coat and get the keel back on, and I assumed I knew what I was looking at, but now I have two questions.

1. Is the white stuff the gel coat, or is it something else? There is a layer of very very thin blue underneath it and then immediately you get to the chopped strand mat of the hull itself. I'm asking because I have to at least get down to the gel coat to put on the epoxy barrier coat, and I want to make sure this isn't some kind of weird paint (and maybe the blue is the gel coat?) or some nonsense like that.

2. In the same photo you can see where there are cracks in the white stuff (very small) that, when I sand them down, reveal what looks like tiny blisters. But it's just the gel coat that seems cracked or defective. I don't see anything wrong with the resin underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201114_170426803.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	226974  
cyrano138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 14:39   #2
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Dumb question about sanding and gel coat

the white layer looks like your gelcoat. the blue layer was maybe an added layer on top of the gelcoat (behind) to help with wetting out the glass.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 16:43   #3

Are the little defects likely to be blisters?
Old 14-11-2020, 20:15   #4
er9
cruiser

no they dont look like blisters. hard to say what happened there. possibly sloppy gel coat application and the blue resin may have been applied to fill in all the voids.
Old 14-11-2020, 20:16   #5

It seems to run alongside the keel. I wonder if the hull flexes there too much and it's stressed the gel coat.
Old 14-11-2020, 20:37   #6
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
It seems to run alongside the keel. I wonder if the hull flexes there too much and it's stressed the gel coat.
Ah. it could have been overcoated at some point in time from a previous owner if its around the keel joint. maybe the blue was a prime coat. anyones guess without knowing more about its history or lots more photos. stresses usually manifest as cracks not bubbles. the pictures dont look like stressed fiberglass.
Old 15-11-2020, 04:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

There are always weird sights like that at the intersection of gelcoat and laminate. Those spots could be drips of resin that fell onto the gelcoat in the mold before they laminated; the blue could be a tie coat of some sort (one boat I had from 1967 had a similar black layer) to prevent print-though on the gelcoat or keep light from seeping through. As long as there are no air bubbles or voids, that white surface is probably fine.
Old 15-11-2020, 05:02   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Sand the gelcoat down to the fiberglass in another area, just a small test spot, to see if you find the same thing. If so, don’t worry about it. They just had some unusual molding technique which has proven itself capable over the last 46 years.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 19:05   #9

It seems to be present to a small extent all over, but is much more pronounced (as in the photo) running fore to aft on either side of the keel about six inches out from it. The glass underneath doesn't look cracked or deformed or discolored. Hopefully it's okay. I'm going to replace all the bulkheads and l, when I do that, I might lay up a few extra layers of glass on the inside for some added strength.
Old 15-11-2020, 19:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There are always weird sights like that at the intersection of gelcoat and laminate. Those spots could be drips of resin that fell onto the gelcoat in the mold before they laminated; the blue could be a tie coat of some sort (one boat I had from 1967 had a similar black layer) to prevent print-though on the gelcoat or keep light from seeping through. As long as there are no air bubbles or voids, that white surface is probably fine.
Fingers crossed 🤞
Old 15-11-2020, 19:34   #11

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
It seems to be present to a small extent all over, but is much more pronounced (as in the photo) running fore to aft on either side of the keel about six inches out from it. The glass underneath doesn't look cracked or deformed or discolored. Hopefully it's okay. I'm going to replace all the bulkheads and l, when I do that, I might lay up a few extra layers of glass on the inside for some added strength.
Great little series from Sail magazine and West Epoxy on Youtube, it may have been mentioned recently, I watched them all this morning. Very much aimed at their products but they make a nice statement that their techniques work for any 'high quality epoxy'. They do dings, fix rotten core (my next big problem), bulkhead replacement, and bomber hardware installs on a J24. They also cover amine blush and solvents.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zq_pqstU-0Yefi
Old 16-11-2020, 02:22   #12

Boat: Coast 30

It is common practice after spraying the outer colour gel coat. to spray a contrasting colour coat before commencing layup. The concept of the contrasting colour being as a marker to warn when sanding or polishing the hull when the outer colour gel coat is becoming too thin.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 05:35   #13

My take is that this is completely normal, no damage, don't worry about anything. The gelcoat is simply checked and as stated above the blue coat is the interface between the gelcoat and glass. What looks like spots is merely where the raised/proud bits of the checked gelcoat get sanded away first and, because the gelcoat had already raised off the blue layer, a spot quickly forms as the sandpaper "picks at" the proud gelcoat.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 18:51   #14

I appreciate everyone's responses. I'll post a few more photos tomorrow of the whole area around the keel sanded. It doesn't seem to follow any real pattern (sort of). In any case the glass underneath it seems normal so I feel alright putting the epoxy barrier coat over it and being done with this neverending project.

At this point if I tried to make it all perfect I'd be dead long before wit ever touched water. Hopefully I don't sink halfway between here and puerto rico.
Old 17-11-2020, 07:06   #15

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Your gelcoat has worn thin and you are into the rough barrier between gelcoat and fiberglass. The blue is a thin coat of gelcoat colored to block light from shining through the hull. This is common practice although usually it is black.

Tags
sanding