Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2022, 03:45   #31

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Does a chemical exist which will dissolve masking tape but not paint?

Sean, to some extent everything listed is some type of "goo remover" Gotta remember we all bought boats...

We have to be missing some brains cells...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
WD40 works great to dissolve most tape glue.
WD-40 everybody has that around....
Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:47   #33

Boat: Cal 35-2

WD-40, Goof Off or you can also try vegetable oil. I've good luck like others with WD-40.
EvntHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 17:21   #34

Boat: Homemade steel cutter

Ronsan lighter fluid
wguinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:06   #35

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

Before green and blue masking tapes, there was white masking tape(it may still be sold). This tape was incredible, it would often let go for no reason, and no matter how carefully you prepped some surfaces, it would act as if you were trying to adhere to oil. It did a decent job adhering to cardboard. However, it did have a super power. If the OP was using such a tape, and the right conditions exist, none of the solvents mentioned will soften it, at least not in my experience.
I was painting an old car, outside, and masked off the chrome rain gutter trim. The car was far from me, I masked it, got called away, was left out in sun and rain for a week or so. After I painted the car, the tape was on so tight, scraping was the only solution and even then, a few years later, if you looked close you could see tiny bits here and there (I wanted to use the car not polish out tape).
I'm not sure if it was sun heat + rain, or perhaps sun + rain + solvent in paint, but a chemical bond developed that was impermeable.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 06:55   #36

Boat: Catalina 42 MK II

Somebody already mentioned this.

I second “3M Adhesive Remover.” I’ve used it on my boat and my cars. Works great. Does not harm the clearcoat or wax.
OrignalBudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 07:46   #37

My first go-to for removing grease, tape residue, etc from a painted surface is Varsol. It might take repeated applications and some careful rubbing/scraping (plastic scraper!) but it will soak into the paper tape. And it usually doesn't attack dried enamel.

Anything else that will soak into the tape should also work - GooGone, WD40, naptha.

And as mentioned, most masking tape won't stand up for long to the marine environment.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 08:44   #38

Boat: Endeavour 42

I use plastic razor blade to take the tape, and then goo-gone for the adhesive.
eemahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 09:01   #39

Before trying any solvents or other removal methods, I would recommend waiting quite a long time for the paint to fully cure. Partially cured paint can be vulnerable to being dissolved by some solvents. But waiting a while for full cure would make make them resilient. You might try experimenting by painting expendable objects that you can test some solvents on. For outdoor surfaces subject to rain and sea spray, adhesive tape residue should eventually disappear by natural weathering if you do not mind waiting on the ugliness to go away by itself. Perhaps from a distance it is not visible anyway, so not a concern. Depends on how fussy or how patient you are.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 09:11   #40

It’s not a chemical, but a stripe removal wheel (aka eraser wheel) in a cordless drill works. It’s what you remove pinstripes with.
SofaKingFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 09:24   #41

Denatured alcohol as used in the stove on board. Worked a treat for me.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 09:32   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
... adhesive tape residue should eventually disappear by natural weathering

Oh. For me, old tape residue goes black with age and a curse to remove. I admit I didn't go for expensive 3M stuff but tried lavatory cleaner; nail varnish remover; scouring pads and lots of other stuff to hand till I found alcohol did the job.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 09:37   #43

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

[Try WD-40. It works on all label and tape residue wherever I have tried it. A little patience if theFabric is Still in place but I think separation will happen easily and you will end up with clean paint
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 10:38   #44

Boat: Hunter 1979 (Cherubini) 30’

+1 for 3M - the real stuff red & white label quart can.
Goo-Gone has a THICKENED variety that won my heart taking spruce sap off the car! It needs time but evaporates very quickly… I have put a strip of plastic over to trap fumes & liquid against my intended victim!!
Finestkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 11:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sona1111 View Post
Hello, I'm having an issue with a painting project I started a while ago before winter. Near the bowspirt there are some trim pieces which I completely cleaned and sanded. There was to be two-tone paint on two different parts of the decoration. First, the while piece was primered and covered with one shade, when after a few days one of the sections was masked off completely and the remaining exposed part was painted the other color. When I did this, I used up a small amount of older masking tape I had along with a new roll. The problem I'm having is that, while the newer masking tape came off without issue, the older one is sticking very badly and immediately tears. I've been at it for hours and It's impossible to get it off. I've tried using denatured alcohol as well as "goo-gone" type sprays to no help. As the whole process took some time I'd like to avoid completely starting from scratch if possible.

Does anyone know any type of chemical that can be bought that would possibly work to dissolve old masking tape without completely stripping the (water based) paint?

Thanks for reading.
Next time use Painters tape; it is good for 14 days and eaves no reidue. WD-40 will remove ordinary masking tape residue.
foreverfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, paint