Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 12:27   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Does seawater dissolve power boats?

I've noticed this at my home marinia the past 8 years, but have really noticed the last 6 weeks while working my way South.

The first thing it seems a power boat does when they pull into a slip is to wash it. And since I don't see a lot of power boats at anchor I assume they must do this after each outing/trip. When I pull in I have things on my mind and washing the boat isn't one of them. I wash my boat when it is dirty, but other than that it hasn't dissolved etc. in 16 years.

Does seawater dissolve power boat fiberglass???

BTW - this is what happens when one has time and the internet available
Old 29-10-2016, 12:48   #2

Re: Does seawater dissolve power boats?

Sea water corrodes anything metal. Highly polished stainless rusts etc. It a good idea to rinse your boat with fresh water anytime you've been out in salt water spray. A day after a crossing our boat was often covered with enough dry salt to put in a salt shaker!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:10   #3
CLOD

On my so called crappy Hunter the stainless hasn't rusted in 16 years and pretty much the only washing off it has been getting is called rain.
Old 29-10-2016, 13:12   #4

Yeah rain helps, as does not crossing oceans. It was never much issue for me in Puget Sound either. In the southern water it was.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:20   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We give our boat a fresh water rinse every time it rains... seldom other times, because when living at anchor one does not really want to waste fresh water. Doesn't seem to have caused premature failure of anything.

I think that Sailorboy's observation may be related to power boats not having sails to fold, bag, or zip up, so their owners are at a loss for how to look like real seamen. I've noticed that while on the hard, a large fraction of power boats are swarmed by people with buffers and pails of wax etc. Not nearly as many sailboats are so treated, and for that matter, neither are trawler type motor yachts. I suspect that trawler owners have mind sets more like sailors that the owners of go-fast m/vs do.

A final observation: while on the hard, m/vs are much more likely to have hired workers doing everything than sailboats are. At least, that has been true here at the marina we've been stuck in for the past weeks (this is the first time in years that I have had the opportunity to make such observations... kinda interesting).

Jim
Old 29-10-2016, 13:39   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Thumbs up Re: Does seawater dissolve power boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We give our boat a fresh water rinse every time it rains... seldom other times, because when living at anchor one does not really want to waste fresh water. Doesn't seem to have caused premature failure of anything.

I think that Sailorboy's observation may be related to power boats not having sails to fold, bag, or zip up, so their owners are at a loss for how to look like real seamen. I've noticed that while on the hard, a large fraction of power boats are swarmed by people with buffers and pails of wax etc. Not nearly as many sailboats are so treated, and for that matter, neither are trawler type motor yachts. I suspect that trawler owners have mind sets more like sailors that the owners of go-fast m/vs do.

A final observation: while on the hard, m/vs are much more likely to have hired workers doing everything than sailboats are. At least, that has been true here at the marina we've been stuck in for the past weeks (this is the first time in years that I have had the opportunity to make such observations... kinda interesting).

Jim
+1, Jim
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:56   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

last i saw fg was one of the very few things seawater didnt dissolve.... hahaha
jim cate you failed to mention power boats have already experienced dissolution by sea water, that is why they have no mast sails or other use able propulsion devices necessary --which is the reason the ARE power boats
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:58   #8

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Your dislike for power boaters is pretty obvious. Wonder why? I give my boat a quick rinsing after every use, knocking of the salt especially on the ss.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
Your dislike for power boaters is pretty obvious. Wonder why? I give my boat a quick rinsing after every use, knocking of the salt especially on the ss.

h ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah a you have never met me yet you slander and toss bile around like fun and games?? do not ever interpret what others say to fit your needs, as you will be dead wrong 99.999 percent of time.
i adore power boats . among the over 25 boats i have owned in my life, 6?? have been power boats.. so. re evaluate your balderdash before slamming people you donot know . you are not posting in sailing anarchy , here.
you could start your research by reading each and every post the person you slam has written.
Old 29-10-2016, 14:42   #10

Zee I was referring to original poster. No offense meant.
Old 29-10-2016, 14:43   #11

Just read the whole post. Wow. slander and toss bile? Unbelievable.
Old 29-10-2016, 14:48   #12

and for the record,l one of my favorite all time boats built was a 1967 egg harbor 37 ft sports fisher. wood and beautiful.
Q240Z has a couple others. and i covet the damncar he aint fixin while he dawdles around wasting time on his chris crafts.... i presume he still has 2 of em....beautiful boats. overgrowed versions of one of the ones i owned.
Old 29-10-2016, 14:51   #13

slander and bile-- accusation of hating of anything equal slander and bile
i guess 1928-30s popeye is a lil over this ones head
Old 29-10-2016, 15:03   #14

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Perhaps it is the presence of large windows (that you actually use to see out) that causes power boaters to hose more often.

I've noticed myself hosing the salt spray off my pilothouse windows and then, while I am at it, give the whole boat a quick rinse.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 15:48   #15
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
I don't hate power boaters as a group except for the clueless ones that wake the crap out of me just because we hey need to go fast everywhere.

Meanwhile you didn't answer the question of whether your boat is going to dissolve if you don't wash it after every use (your words)
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat, water