Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 23:13   #1

Do I want to build one of these things?

Happy new year everyone! I was tooling around the net and found this thing:

PocketShip: 15-foot Fast-Sailing Pocket Cruiser with Sitting Headroom and 8-foot Berths! Pocket Ship Plans

I am probably crazy for even thinking about it, but the fact that it can be easily trailered and my current truck can haul it makes it somewhat desirable for a day sailor in the Chicago area.

Has anyone here on the forum built or sailed one of these things and if so what is your impression of the seaworthiness of it and do you have any recommendations as to building it?
Diesel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 23:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do I want to build one of these things?

Dont know about how she would sail but looks like a good.winter project I would just make one lil change.when you build it. extend.the cabin trunk about two feet to the aft and make the companionway slider a.pop up .
Old 02-01-2017, 00:26   #3

I was considering extending the cabin. I am 6' and I believe I will need extra leg room if I am planning more than just an afternoon out. The pop-up hatch is a good idea too. Thank you.
Old 02-01-2017, 00:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Heres another one that I have heard sails.well and has a.bit more.room
SailBoats BlueMoon
Old 02-01-2017, 01:09   #5

Very cool, and thank you again for sharing that. The reason I was considering the particular one that I quoted is because the designer basically provides the hull and most of the fittings that you will need. I do not have a fully equipped wood shop of my own, rather - I have a customer that can machine those items that would require a large table saw or a shaper to complete.

I am not stuck on that particular design either. I liked the videos of the designer sailing her, but I see that he did so in a sheltered cove in calm weather - and as much as we dream of days like that it seems that the stormy blows are far more common out on the Lakes, not to mention the squalls!
Old 02-01-2017, 01:18   #6

Boat: Sandibar 35

A beautuful litte ship! Did not notice if the build method is stich-and-glue? I've built a similar sized planing motorboat (bateau.com 's Classic 17) from scratch. To get this splashed is not a trivial project, especially if you're looking at a nice finish and obviously depending on the skill level at start and whether you choose the assembly kit or just drawings. You really need to want to have boat building as a hobby for a while, as opposed to sailing, especially considering that a used but ready-to-go vessel of similar size will probably cost less than the materials. I'd look at some builder's forums to get a hang on the problems people are having and also the average time spent. It took me 2 years of on and off building to get my boat in the water.
If that doesn't sound bad, then the reward at the end is great!
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:57   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I hope that you truly love building things, as I've seen guys burn up a couple of thousand hours building small sailing craft. And you can buy a lot of trailer sailor, fully outfitted, for what the kit alone will cost. Not counting many thousands in consumables, paint, etc. And then several thousand more outfitting her.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. As unless you work on her full time (with overtime) 6+ days a week, it'll take more than a winter to build her.

If you're really keen on building something, & the kit idea is part of what grabs you, Dudley Dix (NA) has penned quite a few designs that come in pre-cut kits. And they go together like big, 3D jigsaw puzzles, with the pieces being interlocking. He's done some amazing boats over the years.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:30   #8

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

I built the bateau.com 12' cat boat about 15 years ago. Took me about 135 14-hour days. Cost around $1200, if I remember right. Poured lead in the center board and faired it and the rudder into nice foils. Stainless hardware all around. Filled all seats and voids with expanding foam. 21' laminated mast with carbon fiber sleeve. Laminated boom with forked gooseneck. Put it on a $100 trailer. Later sold it for $100 and the guy only wanted the trailer, but I needed it out of the way. But it was great divorce therapy!

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=2022
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The only reason to build a boat is because you like building boats. It is incredibly inefficient use of time and money to build one because you want to use it. They really are two separate hobbies. One one hand you have the boat building hobby, and the second the boating hobbie, please don't confuse the two.

For the same cost as the parts for this one you can buy a good used trailersailor and be on the water tomorrow. Figure the kit comes in at $3,400, add another $2,000 for a mast and rigging, another $2,000 for the keel, and probably $2,000 again for rigging. $1,500 for sails....

So my guess is to get this thing on the water will run $10-12,000 minimum to get sailing. And that is setting your labor rate at zero. Figure at least 1,000 man hours to build it even with the elements cut out.

Or you can buy a very good condition J-22 ready to sail for about $8,000, and a lot of less sporty cruisers in this size range for $3,000.

All that being said, I really liked building my boat. Sadly she was poorly built and was late turned into land fill.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:44   #10

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

About 15 years ago I built a 16' catamaran from plans in a magazine. It was fun, but I used cobbled together sails and rigging to save money.(still ended up costing a couple thousand)
It sailed fine, until it got windy. Then the rigging started ripping out.
Being all wood made it heavy, and a pain to launch.
After,, I realized used boats were about the same price or cheaper. And better built.
Do it if you want the enjoyment of the project. Buy one if you want the enjoyment of sailing.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:47   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

What is your goal...do you enjoy woodworking and building things? If so, go ahead and enjoy.

However, if your goal is to go sailing, you can buy a small, solid, complete old boat very cheap (hundreds of dollars) and be sailing instead of in a woodshop.

Please don't misunderstand, building a boat can be a wonderful experience taking several years of your free time. Personally, I'd rather be sailing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:27   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The only reason to build a boat is because you like building boats. It is incredibly inefficient use of time and money to build one because you want to use it. They really are two separate hobbies. One one hand you have the boat building hobby, and the second the boating hobbie, please don't confuse the two.
^^^ This.

It's going to take hundreds of hours to build, and if you haven't built a boat before it may take hundreds more by the time you backtrack and fix mistakes. It's also going to take thousands of dollars more to complete than just the kit.

And, while it's cute and a beautiful little design, I would not take that thing out of a sheltered harbor except on the most benign of days. Even then I'd feel a bit insecure, particularly on Lake Michigan.

The boat is a compromise on so many levels that it is hard to list them.

If economy and trailer ability are your primary criteria, you'd be much better served buying a used production pocket sail boat. Better value, more room, and probably more stability and better sailing qualities. Just one example would be a Rhodes 22. If sailing for the sake of sailing and enjoying the best performance for the size is your goal, then the J/22 wins hands down.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58   #13

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
. . . I would just make one lil change.when you build it. extend.the cabin trunk about two feet to the aft and make the companionway slider a.pop up .
Extend the cabin trunk two feet? Oh, WOW! Looking at the picture of the fellow sailing this boat, I think such a change in design would surely cramp the cockpit. Especially if there were more than one person aboard.
I would say if you want to make such a change, you would have to extend the hull to accommodate. Then you're into a whole lot more than just "extending".
Speaking as one who has built a few boats over the years, if you want something longer, find another model to build.
CLC have some pretty nice designs and I'm certain they have something a couple of feet longer, if that is what you want.
Even if you only extend the cabin trunk, you have made a significant change to how this boat will perform. My advice, DON'T DO IT. You'll not be satisfied with the result and you'll be forever more trying to correct the problems YOU created.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:18   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Extend the cabin trunk two feet? Oh, WOW! Looking at the picture of the fellow sailing this boat, I think such a change in design would surely cramp the cockpit. Especially if there were more than one person aboard.
I would say if you want to make such a change, you would have to extend the hull to accommodate. Then you're into a whole lot more than just "extending".
Speaking as one who has built a few boats over the years, if you want something longer, find another model to build.
CLC have some pretty nice designs and I'm certain they have something a couple of feet longer, if that is what you want.
Even if you only extend the cabin trunk, you have made a significant change to how this boat will perform. My advice, DON'T DO IT. You'll not be satisfied with the result and you'll be forever more trying to correct the problems YOU created.
Your right I should have never sugested such a minor it about 25 pound mod to this boat ( I have just been designing and building boats most of my life) hence I showed him the plans for the blue moon .
Old 02-01-2017, 11:59   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel. View Post
Happy new year everyone! I was tooling around the net and found this thing:

PocketShip: 15-foot Fast-Sailing Pocket Cruiser with Sitting Headroom and 8-foot Berths! Pocket Ship Plans

I am probably crazy for even thinking about it, but the fact that it can be easily trailered and my current truck can haul it makes it somewhat desirable for a day sailor in the Chicago area.

Has anyone here on the forum built or sailed one of these things and if so what is your impression of the seaworthiness of it and do you have any recommendations as to building it?
If she fits your needs go for it. I assume she is plywood? System 3 is, or was, cheaper than a West System for skinning her.JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote