Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2024, 05:15   #31
chp

Boat: Hunter 280
Re: DIY dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
For me, the appeal of the Lexan dodger in the link is ease of construction. One material, bend it onto the frames, paint and you are done. On further refliction though, I don't like the painting of the Lexan. I expect the paint is liable to scraping and chipping, and the end result is too shiny for my taste. The builder did get a good shape going though. As others have noted, most hard dodgers tend to be pretty squared off and not rounded like cloth dodgers. And a lot of people only do a hard top, meaning you still have to deal with sewing the windows in front and sides, or pay someone to do it.

As for builindg one out of fiberglass, whether laid up over ply or foam, sure, you can get a great result from that. But all the write-ups I have seen say that it is a LOT of work to get a good cosmetic result. A lot of filling, fairing and sanding. The chipping and scraping off the paint on the Lexan was also one of my thoughts.

I plan to [attept to] build one using FRP panels like HomeDepot sells for the top, and Lexan for the windows. I haven't decided whether to do the windows in one continous sheet like the guy in the link the OP posted did, or with separate windows and frames like I have seen some others do online. My goals are to avoid sewing, which I have no experience of, and avoid lots of filling, fairing, and sanding fiberglass.
Problem I see with the FRP is that it is stated for interior use only. I don't know if you could use it for the shape and then glass over it to protect it from I'm assuming UV rays. I know it's very flexable and would be very easy to shape and work with.
The paint chipping and scraping off was also one of my concerns.
chp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 05:34   #32

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp View Post
Problem I see with the FRP is that it is stated for interior use only. I don't know if you could use it for the shape and then glass over it to protect it from I'm assuming UV rays. I know it's very flexable and would be very easy to shape and work with.
The paint chipping and scraping off was also one of my concerns.

Obviously FRP has a different meaning in the US?
(In Australia "FRP" stands for "Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic")

Polyester resins can be used to make a variety of products, including: Fiberglass reinforced plastics (FRP) - commonly used in boat building, tanks, pipes, and other structures. Automotive parts - such as body panels, spoilers, and other exterior parts.

https://www.fibreglast.com/category/Polyester_Resins
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 06:40   #33

Boat: Islander 36

FRP = fiberglass reinforced panel. They are very thin pre-made fiberglass sheets builders use to skin over walls in kitchens and bathrooms.
Old 26-03-2024, 06:51   #34

Quote:
FRP = fiberglass reinforced panel. They are very thin pre-made fiberglass sheets builders use to skin over walls in kitchens and bathrooms.
Like these from HomeDepot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasliner...9600/100389836

No UV protection, for sure they would need to be painted.
Old 26-03-2024, 07:07   #35

Quote:
Like these from HomeDepot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasliner...9600/100389836

No UV protection, for sure they would need to be painted.

Well that goes for any fiberglass product as well. It has to be gelcoated or painted to protect it from UV,

Why would you buy a panel from Home Depot? (I don't think that is very wise at all)

What's wrong with this?

Old 26-03-2024, 08:20   #36
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

aluminum .. not SS tubes? you already lost me there.
Old 26-03-2024, 09:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Well that goes for any fiberglass product as well. It has to be gelcoated or painted to protect it from UV,

Why would you buy a panel from Home Depot? (I don't think that is very wise at all)

What's wrong with this?

Nothing wrong with that result. It is the process to get to it. From the article written by that guy, two excerpts:
All corners and gaps need to be filled and rounded. No fancy fillers are necessary here—Bondo, West System fillers, heck, even epoxy with unscented baby powder or talcum from your local pharmacy will work. Good sanding and fairing afterward is going to make the dodger look much more aesthetically pleasing.
That said, it was far and away the most underestimated project I have undertaken in terms of time needed, so be forewarned: this project is one that is best conquered during the off season, when you have some time. If, however, you are a serious cruiser and prefer comfort and protection from the elements over the notion of the wind in your hair then this is a project for you.
http://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/how-...ard-top-dodger

Bottom line, it's a lot of work, even if "you know what you are doing" (which I don't).

Compare that to this project:

The dodger top was relatively quick and easy to *fabricate. I made a template with door skin (thin, flexible wood veneer), cut the first pieces from an FRP panel with a jigsaw, and then cut mirror-image pieces to glue on top. Clamping the bottom pieces onto the dodger frame, I then spread on the adhesive and clamped on the top laminate. These FRP panels are quite flexible, and easily made the pronounced bend at the outboard ends.
http://www.cruisingworld.com/homemade-hardtop/
Old 26-03-2024, 15:55   #38

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that result. It is the process to get to it. From the article written by that guy, two excerpts:
All corners and gaps need to be filled and rounded. No fancy fillers are necessary here—Bondo, West System fillers, heck, even epoxy with unscented baby powder or talcum from your local pharmacy will work. Good sanding and fairing afterward is going to make the dodger look much more aesthetically pleasing.
That said, it was far and away the most underestimated project I have undertaken in terms of time needed, so be forewarned: this project is one that is best conquered during the off season, when you have some time. If, however, you are a serious cruiser and prefer comfort and protection from the elements over the notion of the wind in your hair then this is a project for you.
http://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/how-...ard-top-dodger

Bottom line, it's a lot of work, even if "you know what you are doing" (which I don't).

/

For someone who knows fiberglass it wouldn't be a difficult job.

"All corners and gaps need to be filled and rounded. No fancy fillers are necessary here—Bondo, West System fillers, heck, even epox....."

So if you use Lexan (or some FRP panels from Home Depot) that is not necessary? No they don't fall together!

The bottom line is if you have never constructed anything before you will find it a daunting task no matter what material you use..

Try building this.
Old 26-03-2024, 16:09   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Try building this.

No thanks. You guys with the skills can keep building the hard stuff, I will keep looking for the easy way!
Old 26-03-2024, 16:20   #40

Quote:

No thanks. You guys with the skills can keep building the hard stuff, I will keep looking for the easy way!

If I had to build a canvas dodger I wouldn't know where to start. But to others it would be a cinch .
Old 13-04-2024, 16:13   #41

Boat: Hunter 356

I built mine from starboard. Nothing sticks to it. Including bird poo. And it’s cool shade.
Lots of fitting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4981.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	288833  
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 17:24   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You wish… you will need two coats of primer and at least three top coats before you get anywhere near the same level as proper dodger material.
Just glue sunbrella to the top and done.

Tags
DIY, dodger