Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2020, 18:16   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee perry 35
Deep cockpit lockers with narrow access - how to best use

We have two very deep cockpit lockers and a shortage of storage space at present. Yacht is a cheoy lee perry 35.

The problem is that the lockers are so deep that you can't reach the bottom, and have to climb in, which is awkward. One of the lockers extends to the rear of the boat twice the length of the opening hatch (about 1.8 meters deep, 2 meters long, 1 meter wide and with a hatch 60x40cm), the other has a 60 x 40cm hatch and is two meters deep (very hard to get into this one, even harder to get out).

Options are to build shelves into the non hatch area of the long locker, and then climb in to access them, and in the deep locker to store hanging items (like fenders) and a false floor to make things shallower for the rest).

But I figure there must be some better ideas - to get maximal space utilisation with minimal mess and storage chaos. Like some kind of slide up racking, or similar. Any thoughts appreciated.
Wixlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 18:40   #2

Re: Deep cockpit lockers with narrow access - how to best use

What you are seeing, and having to cope with, is the ever-present need to keep construction costs at a minimum consistent with customer tolerance (and level of customer knowledge) to be competitive with the offerings of other boat factories.

It is this sort of thing that causes many of us in this forum to caution newbs, that the purchase price of a yacht is only the beginning of a constant drain on the bank account.

However, few factory built boats in your size range has adequate stowage for coiled cordage of which even such small boats really need to carry quite a lot. Cordage has to be coiled and HUNG UP so any water on it can be drain off it. Throwing cordage into the bottom of any locker - deep or shallow - is not a seamanlike way of stowing cordage. Ergo - You are off to a good start without even knowing it ;-).

At fairly modest cost you can make a hatch a ("locker lid") in the cockpit seat aft of the hatch that is there now. It's a DYI project, though you might have to study up on just how it is done. If you put some thought into the design of the interior of this part of the locker, and get ahead of the game by deciding BEFORE you start designing what, exactly, has to be stowed in the locker, you could make a "stacking tray" arrangement so that the opening of the hatch will permit lifting out the trays, one after the other, by means of rope handles that when not in use fall into the tray they are attached to without impeding the tray above. A purpose specific tool could be made to reach down to capture any handles your arms are not long enuff to reach.

Lots of ways to skin a cat :-)

Have fun :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 02:59   #3

Thanks, I like the stackable boxes interconnected with rope idea.

Anyone have any other clever implementations to maximise usability?
Old 26-10-2020, 05:05   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Cut access hatch from inside the boat for the bottom half?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:04   #5
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixlandia View Post
We have two very deep cockpit lockers and a shortage of storage space at present. Yacht is a cheoy lee perry 35.

The problem is that the lockers are so deep that you can't reach the bottom, and have to climb in, which is awkward. One of the lockers extends to the rear of the boat twice the length of the opening hatch (about 1.8 meters deep, 2 meters long, 1 meter wide and with a hatch 60x40cm), the other has a 60 x 40cm hatch and is two meters deep (very hard to get into this one, even harder to get out).

Options are to build shelves into the non hatch area of the long locker, and then climb in to access them, and in the deep locker to store hanging items (like fenders) and a false floor to make things shallower for the rest).

But I figure there must be some better ideas - to get maximal space utilisation with minimal mess and storage chaos. Like some kind of slide up racking, or similar. Any thoughts appreciated.
I sympathize with you as my boat has the same issue with a very deep cockpit lazarette that requires me to get down into to retrieve almost everything...I have vowed that when I cannot get myself out of it, it will be time to stop sailing and sell the boat...I'm 78.

That said, it does provide me critical access to the steering assembly, water heater, some of the autopilot components, and scupper thruhull which I deem more important than just storage. I do use it to store my five large fenders in with the lines laying within in easy reach to pull them up with. If yours also provides critical access you should reconsider putting/building anything that will interfere.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 13:25   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

MJH's point is really important. You never know when you're going to have to go all the way back to the rudder post. On our previous boat, it was quite a struggle to go back there to install a stern anchor locker, and to get at the underneath of the deck when installing its roller. We wanted to have a stern anchor ready to deploy quickly.

Make sure the cockpit hatch lids seal well, otherwise quite a lot of water can get below, and it may not be obvious at the time where the flooding is coming from.

Ann
Old 26-10-2020, 14:00   #7

I agree with Ann and others who caution against obstructing access to the steering gear.

You will note that my suggestion takes specific cognizance of that. 1) The new hatch I'm suggesting would be CLOSER TO the steering gear than is the old one. 2) The hatch and locker would be so constructed that you can lift out everything in the locker and thereby gain easier access to the steering gear than is presently the case. Dimension things so an aging bod can wiggle in there.

In these parts, it's become common to carry the rode for the stern anchor in the form of WEBBING accommodated on a reel mounted outboard on the pushpit. If my math still serves me, a reel with a spool diameter of 30" will take a tad under 8 feet of webbing per turn. The diameter grows as the webbing reels on, so let's say that for a 300 foot rode you need to accommodate forty turns. Assuming that the webbing is 1/8" thick, then the layers of webbing constituting 300 feet of rode will be about 5" think. Worth thinking about!! Were I to implement such a scheme on TP, the topmost "tray" of the stacking ones in the new locker would be dimensioned to accommodate a suitable anchor.

In TP the "transom seat"(a thwartships bench) has a hatch that gives immediate access to the steering quadrant, but I'll admit that the turning blocks are not easy to reach.

TP will last my remaining sailing years in her present state, but were I thirty years younger, the whole wheel-steering rig would be removed, the stock would be brought up to through cockpit sole and a decent tiller fitted.

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 14:03   #8

Boat: Island Packet IP440 - Moondance

I installed one SS mast step to the forward wall of each lazarette to help me crawl in and out. It is the foldable type that flows up so that it is out of the way when not in use. Island Packet 440.
rhpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 14:51   #9

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER try to stretch in deep from the cockpit when you are alone, with the entrance pressing on your stomach you can nearly suffocate .......from experience.....Bill

The problem is that the lockers are so deep that you can't reach the bottom, and have to climb in, which is awkward.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 00:45   #10

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Consider installing a hatch on the vertical side of the storage area, i did this to get to the steering gear, the hatch was of the shelf, with O ring seal.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 06:07   #11

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

One can get stuck
https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2020...cal-evacuation
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 03:23   #12

Some good ideas - and warnings.

I like the mast step to ease access.

No critical access will be blocked - would never install something permanent that did that.

I think modular containers on shelves is probably the best so far, but it will require some climbing in and out. The locker is not accessible from inside the yacht (icebox and engine in the way), so an 'inside hatch' is sadly not an option without major renovations
Old 28-10-2020, 03:53   #13

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

For hanging cordage, I cut 3/4" inch long sections of aluminum pipe (2" or so diameter) and tapped a hole in one side. They then thread onto the ends of deck hardware or deck-to-hull bolts and make nice rings for hanging stuff.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 04:12   #14

Nets are useful and easy to install.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit