Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 05:35   #1

Keel/Bilge area crack/Stern impact?

Hi Everyone,

Just had a beneteau 46 surveyed prior to purchase, and these 3 photos are making a little nervous as the surveyor has not commenced yet on them.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bilge.crack.jpg
Views:	1367
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	218274   Click image for larger version

Name:	bilge.crack2..jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	218275  

Name:	deck:hull.stern.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	218276  

Sailorbouy2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 05:37   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Keel/Bilge area crack/Stern impact?

Perhaps the three photos would help if we could see them?

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 05:38   #3

apologies ...they should be there now...
Old 29-06-2020, 06:01   #4

The first photo show what could be a major problem, separation of the structural grid from the hull. Hard to say from the photos though.

The third photo looks like a superficial crack from the transom backing into a dock. Again tough to say from the photos.

On edit, the second photo seems to show a troubling rust bloom. If thatís the case this boat likely requires the keel to be dropped and possible major work.
Old 29-06-2020, 06:05   #5

Thanks sailmonkey, my thoughts too....I was thinking it would need grinding back to the glass to look at it, lift out drop the keel and check the hull?
Old 29-06-2020, 06:09   #6

Thereís a thread on here somewhere posted by a user ďMinaretĒ where structural grid repair is undertaken.

Itís a major undertaking.

Found the thread, itís here. Good reading.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ir-164093.html
Old 29-06-2020, 06:11   #7

Thanks, I'll try and find that.

Its a shame as the rest or the boat is very nice.
Old 29-06-2020, 06:23   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Looks like a major grounding pushing the keel up. In the pic w/the bile pump, maybe it just the pic but it appears to be a newer repair in that whole area w/marine tex or something similar.
With so many boats out there, I'd walk away and keep looking. If you are interested in that model, now you know more items to look for before you hire the surveyor. Caulk it up to cheap educational expense, compared to a costly repair.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 06:30   #9

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the Beneteau has a cast " steel" keel, not lead, which will likely explain the rust weeping...not a good sign to see
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 06:47   #10

interestingly, the small little bilge pump that is in that bilge cavity...is very small.....practically worthless....I have the smaller model, the 432, there are no bilge pumps in that little " cavity" on my boat, the bilge pumps ( 2 of them) are under a settee seat with suction hoses leading into that cavity. You can't fit a normal sized bilge pump in there, which is why you see that little toy, and why mine has the hoses in there, 3 hoses in there is about as much as you can fit in there...

The Beneteau has a relative flat under body....akin to a planing hull...the distance from the top of the sole to the bottom of the boat is a scant few inches...about 9" or so..

That little " cavity" you see..is the " bilge", it is a small cavity carved into the keel and glassed over.......I can tell you from experience, that when the boat is heeled over, any water inside the hull coming from anywhere, will flow to the low side of the hull and not to that cavity...it's a problem....

It's a great sailing boat, without question, but the "bilge" issue is troubling...

finally, give some thought to where the " float switch" for that little pump is located, the one on my boat was poorly attached and came loose, so was ineffective when I needed it most....I re-attached it with 5200......but some thoughts to consider..
Old 29-06-2020, 07:07   #11

Thanks all fr the thoughts and advice,

just thought I'd post a few other photos of the area and pump for general interest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20200627-WA0239.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	218294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200627-WA0228.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	218295  

Name:	IMG-20200627-WA0241.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	218296  
Old 29-06-2020, 07:09   #12

one last thing to consider about the Beneteau....mine has two a/c's.....and the model you are looking at likely the same. One a/c is located under the forward settee, the other in the lazarette. Both a/c's have a drip tray to collect a/c condensation, the edges of the drip tray are about 1" high....inside that drip tray is a miniscule bilge pump of sorts...about the size of a matchbook. the hose from that drip tray bilge pump is tiny, maybe 1/8" diameter and exits the side of the hull, if you step outside the boat, you will see this tiny thru' hull fitting. Those little hoses get gummed up in no time and all the a/c condensate ends up in the bilge,especially when heeled...I had to install a shower type sump to take care of the a/c condensate problem.......it was a pain in the butt at first, with all that a/c condensate, but now, the problem is manageable.....besides this and the aforementioned issues.....it's a really nice boat, sails like a bat outa hell....but you need to address these issues....
Old 29-06-2020, 07:22   #13

Thanks for that. Something for me to look for on my next boat search

I am hoping to have more photos soon as both the broker and owner are concerned about the issue as there was no indication in the last survey.

I'll post as and when I get them. I have a total of 425 photos from the survey so can add any that people might want to be interested in, either for curiosity or research .
Old 29-06-2020, 07:43   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I'd be interested in the overview assessment from the survey and the possible cause of the crack. My bet is a hard grounding, which would be known to the owner (especially if there was an attempted "fix" done in the area).

Also curious on when the last survey was done.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 08:06   #15

yep, the Beneteau has many " likeable" features, it is first and foremost, a great sailing boat, and the things I pointed out to you didn't come to light until after I had bought the boat.

One other odd thing I should mention, the diesel fuel tank and aft water tank are under the cockpit seats..being that the flat hull extends all the way to the transom, both tanks are relatively shallow, wide and shallow. The fuel gauge pickup for the diesel tank is on top of the tank, clearly visible once you remove some plywood in the cockpit locker.
When the boat is heeled over, and the tank is full, that gauge pickup connection will be immersed due to the flat shape of the tank. Mine leaked. For sure, I would have the surveyor lift that plywood section under the cockpit seat, a bit of a pain in the arse, but you must do it, to view the tank and that fuel gauge fitting. The tank is plastic and the fuel gauge pickup is a round metal plate screwed into the plastic tank. That plastic does not make a good material to screw into. I had to remove that plate, seal with 5200 and insert large diameter screws to fix the problem.
Also, being a relatively " flat" tank, the fuel gauge will read " full" for a very long time when the boat is at rest, by the time it gets to the " halfway" mark, the tank will be nearly empty. If the boat is heeled one way or another, the fuel will collect on the low side, and the fuel gauge will register " empty"....be aware of your fuel consumption and keep the tank topped up.
The boat has two water tanks, one under the cockpit seat and one under the v-berth, and two water fills on the deck, one for the forward tank and one for the rear,so another thing to consider, the tanks are interconnected on my boat, but there is a valve separating the two, probably a good thing, should one tank leak.
The water circulation pump for the a/c's on my boat is a single pump feeding both a/c's at the same time. Even when using just one a/c, say the forward one, you will see water flow coming from both a/c's...
And finally, the refrigeration unit for the fridge/freezer is also located under the cockpit seat. It is so easy to fill that cockpit locker with " stuff" that one needs to be diligent about keeping the air vents for the fridge unit clear...a life jacket or something like that thrown anywhere near the vicinity of that unit will have it working 24/7...

Ok, I think I'm done...

Tags
keel, bilge