Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 13:35   #1

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Cylinder Molding And Vacuum Bagging

I'm confused about how the laminate, a plywood layup, can be "vacuum formed" to the mold when "plastic [bagging] sheet is laid over the mold first and then sealed around the assembled [plywood laminate] sheets."

My understanding is the mold is just ribs and a few stringers to hold them up, not an airtight mold as is typical of mass produced boats. If you wrap your lamination on both sides/all around with a vacuum bag, vice having the mold as one of the sides holding vacuum, how can this 'suck' your lamination down to the mold?

What am I missing? Seems to me the mold either has to be airtight to be used for vacuum forming the ply laminate or the whole mold needs to be 'in the bag'.

reference:
https://multihulldesigns.com/pdf/cm/...NSTRUCTION.htm

https://smalltridesign.com/Trimaran-...struction.html
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 17:39   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Cylinder Molding And Vacuum Bagging

The first link you post mentions a "bagging table", and/or using the substrate ply layer as the "bagging table":

"I do notice that they never count the time to build a bagging table in the time-to-build. In CM, the panel is its own bagging table, as it were. One is not needed."

After gaps have been filled in with "bog", even the first layer of a multi-ply hull IS airtight, and can serve as a base for vacuum bagging. Both the Cylinder-Moulded and Constant Camber methods use this approach. WoodenBoat has had several articles on vacuum bagging that describe the step by step procedures which would clarify the process for you.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold