Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2020, 06:04   #1
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
Winterizing in a river marina in the Baltic

Thinking about winterizing in the water this year and was wondering if the toilet seacock and speed log/transducer in the image shown will be ok if the marina here runs the de-icer / bubbler. Air temperature typically hovers from -5c to 5c, but may drop all the way down to -12c 5 on some days. The boat will be kept in a river that is brackish? / freshwater?. I may be a plane ride away, 1-2h, from the boat.

In addition I will close all seacocks, except the scuppers and the kitchen sink so that the dehumidifer can drain out. I'm a bit concerned about the seacocks which aren't closed and the hoses attached to them.

Is this just silly and I should be taking the boat out? All the usual will still apply - oil change and antifreeze through the engine and probably the toilet too, unless I remove the drain plug on it.

cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 18:21   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Winterizing in a river marina in the Baltic

Ask the yard what they think, but I would worry about ANY open seacocks freezing with the possible fresh water situation you describe coupled with -12C. It would be safer to have the dehumidifier drip into a basin. Global warming is happening, but it can still get cold at times. Do you not have a blank plug to replace the transducer? Better safe than sorry.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 21:37   #3

Boat: Sabre 34

I would take out the speed wheel and insert the plug as the above poster said.

I am also storing the boat in water this winter and closing all seacocks except the cockpit drains, not planning on a dehumidifier.

A side note - I would suggest changing that ball valve to a proper flanged seacock and add a second clamp on the hose.

Btw, what kind of hose is that?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 15:00   #4
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Ask the yard what they think, but I would worry about ANY open seacocks freezing with the possible fresh water situation you describe coupled with -12C. It would be safer to have the dehumidifier drip into a basin. Global warming is happening, but it can still get cold at times. Do you not have a blank plug to replace the transducer? Better safe than sorry.
The marina here says it should be fine to leave in the water as the river rarely freezes, but I've seen it happen once years ago. In addition they said they'd turn on the bubbler. If I leave the dehumidifer dripping into a tank it could still lead to a crap tonne of water and I won't be around often. I don't think I'll bother the marina or any friends with emptying it. Yeh I'm not sure if I have the blanking plug, but I'll have to check around for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
I would take out the speed wheel and insert the plug as the above poster said.

I am also storing the boat in water this winter and closing all seacocks except the cockpit drains, not planning on a dehumidifier.

A side note - I would suggest changing that ball valve to a proper flanged seacock and add a second clamp on the hose.

Btw, what kind of hose is that?
Thanks, definitely right it needs changing. Not sure what hose it is, but feels rubbery and semi-flexible/semi-rigid. What's the risk if I just leave the speed wheel in? I'm not sure if the previous owner gave me the blanking plug or where it is.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltic