Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 21:17   #16
cruiser

Re: Cost of Fixing Teak Decking?

UFO,

In response to a second pm:

That Oyster 53 is already priced with the deck work needing to be done accounted for in the asking price, There’s much more to it than just sanding and caulking as others like the last buyer of a 53 found out, it also involves re-cutting and chiseling out all the seams which are tongue and grooved to begin with. You’re looking at $40k-$60k labor if you don’t wish to do it yourself.

If $40-$60k is a lot of money to you, to end up with decks that’ll last another 10-15 years if cared for properly, then... you should be looking at other boats. An Oyster is out of your price range and apparent comfort zone. The last guy who purchased an Oyster for what he thought was short money, has found himself in a mess... with other owners now getting tired of answering his continuous problems/questions on the Owners forum, I don’t think his boat ever leaves the dock.

BTW: I never got so much as a simple thank you for the last advise I offered you, here in America.... it’s customary to do this.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 21:51   #17
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
UFO,

In response to a second pm:

That Oyster 53 is already priced with the deck work needing to be done accounted for in the asking price, There’s much more to it than just sanding and caulking as others like the last buyer of a 53 found out, it also involves re-cutting and chiseling out all the seams which are tongue and grooved to begin with. You’re looking at $40k-$60k labor if you don’t wish to do it yourself.

If $40-$60k is a lot of money to you, to end up with decks that’ll last another 10-15 years if cared for properly, then... you should be looking at other boats. An Oyster is out of your price range and apparent comfort zone. The last guy who purchased an Oyster for what he thought was short money, has found himself in a mess... with other owners now getting tired of answering his continuous problems/questions on the Owners forum, I don’t think his boat ever leaves the dock.

BTW: I never got so much as a simple thank you for the last advise I offered you, here in America.... it’s customary to do this.

Ken

Ken See PM

It would be nice to be in a situation where $60K is a drop in the ocean, but sadly that's not the case for me and I'd rather be sailing and relaxing than spending months of hard labour with Teak decks, so that is Moodys and Oysters etc off my shopping list.

I had a concern with these older top $ boats as well, that they are not currently selling that easily and are sitting on the market for years - I don't want to be left with that shackle around my neck in the future, having overpaid for one now.

From my research it seems that the older Monohulls are not a massively in demand item any more, especially with the growing popularity of catamarans, along with some newer monohulls which have come onto the market in the last 10 years which are considerably cheaper and offer similar space and luxury, albeit not the quality.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 22:04   #18

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I just got a estimate on ripping up all my teak and fiberglass over the plywood for $5000 in Mexico, of course that does not include any repairs to the plywood core which there will be. I will do any of the structural repairs myself so 5k sounds reasonable to me. this is on a Hudson 44 CC
Old 10-07-2019, 22:19   #19
cruiser

UFO,

I appreciated you getting back with the polite “thank you” in a pm, you’re welcome.

Boats are taking a while to sell these days because boating, especially sailing, is a dying pastime. It has nothing to do with various kinds if boats, expensive or the number of hulls, people who are still interested in sailing are now renting/chartering boats instead of buying them. Which in most cases, makes a lot more financial sense.

My friends form Poland found several charter companies offering up boats at unbelievable low prices which amounted to less than $500-$700 per person/week to cruise Croatia. An Italian friend found the same for Italy, where a 40ft bareboat charter boat can had for under $2500 per week.

So, there’s no reason to buy unless someone like me wants to live on the boat full time as a vacation home or run a charter business.
Old 10-07-2019, 23:08   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Throw in 2 sometimes 3 kids and guests and 50' becomes a lot more desireable
Desirable, but not at all necessary. Also, as many others will confirm, friends and family visit a lot less than one imagines at the beginning; they have their own lives and their own use for vacation time. A boat in the low 40' range will literally have half the ongoing costs of a mid-50' boat, and will also find slips a lot easier. And whatever inconvenience there may be in a "smaller" boat (laughable to me on a 31') it will be nothing compared to doing those deck repairs. If nothing else do not even think of buying a boat without a thorough survey first, and then listen to what the surveyor says objectively, not wishfully. Remember, you will need a good survey to get insurance, and you will need insurance (at least liability) to get into a marina and to cruise in many countries. It's fun to dream big but overreach and the dream could end badly - it happens all the time.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 23:45   #21
cruiser

Here’s what refinished teak decks look like on an Oyster 53, photo taken today. What’s not to like about it? It’s really no different than changing or refinishing the hardwood floors in a house once every 15-30 years, yet people think nothing of doning that when purchasing a home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFD97AB2-54FC-4F02-80B7-F3DBB82E6E03.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	195731   Click image for larger version

Name:	965C6ED6-5A5D-40CD-9FC6-1D3682589337.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	195732  

Old 10-07-2019, 23:47   #22

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Here’s what refinished teak decks look like on an Oyster 53, photo taken today. What’s not to like about it? It’s really no different than changing or refinishing the hardwood floors in a house once every 15-30 years, yet people think nothing of doning that when purchasing a home.
No plugs. Makes all the difference
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 23:49   #23

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Desirable, but not at all necessary. Also, as many others will confirm, friends and family visit a lot less than one imagines at the beginning; they have their own lives and their own use for vacation time. A boat in the low 40' range will literally have half the ongoing costs of a mid-50' boat, and will also find slips a lot easier. And whatever inconvenience there may be in a "smaller" boat (laughable to me on a 31') it will be nothing compared to doing those deck repairs. If nothing else do not even think of buying a boat without a thorough survey first, and then listen to what the surveyor says objectively, not wishfully. Remember, you will need a good survey to get insurance, and you will need insurance (at least liability) to get into a marina and to cruise in many countries. It's fun to dream big but overreach and the dream could end badly - it happens all the time.

Greg
Depends on whether the boss likes the additional space. And to avoid teak worries, just have it in the cockpit where it matters and not the entire deck.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:02   #24
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:

Very Nice.

Got someone in to do my whole house - Sanded and re-varnished Jarrah - 4 Bedrooms, Kitchen, Dining and Games room for less than 5K - Happy to spend that, but 60K is a BIG difference.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:25   #25

Quote:
The difference is in the details. Takes a great amount of skill and detail work to fit all the rounded corners and end fittings. A typical home floor installer would probably never be able to do that and make it look good.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:32   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
so that is Moodys and Oysters etc off my shopping list.
That's a shame because I suspect that half the Moodys are GRP decks rather than teak. Those that do have teak are often limited to just the cockpit seats which is a completely different proposition.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...dard%20listing

Personally there is no way I would have a full teak deck but that's my choice.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:37   #27

Quote:
UFO,

Boats are taking a while to sell these days because boating, especially sailing, is a dying pastime. It has nothing to do with various kinds if boats, expensive or the number of hulls, people who are still interested in sailing are now renting/chartering boats instead of buying them. Which in most cases, makes a lot more financial sense.
The main reason why people are scared away from boat ownership is the mooring fee and maintenance. Not really the purchase price although that is a big factor.
Marinas now are charging stupid prices for morning and repair yard fees, so much that they are literally pricing people out of the market.
Growing up in the Seattle area, I experienced the rising marina fees in the last 40 years and it is astounding. And they keep jacking them up.
Just a typical haul-out, bottom coat and maintenance will take 3-4k and that is if you only plan on staying out for a few days. Slip charges now are approaching 1k per month on the average and they tack on all kinds of extra charges. My slip fee in La Paz Mexico for s 44' is now $850++ per month.
unfortunately unless you are on some pacific island on a mooring buoy or on the hook, yacht ownership is becoming a rich mans/woman's sport.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:52   #28

Boat: Westerly Sealord

In 2015 I shared a shed with a Mason 48(?) that was having her teak removed and replaced..... cost was in the order of $NZ80,000 ........ about $US53k or Eu 47k at present rates...

Not hearsay.... that's my boat in the middle.... the Mason on the right... and the ill fated Platino on the left....

Big diff in buying a boat needing the work or doing the work that is needed on a boat that you already own......

Sailing going out of fashion? Nope.... too many boats... just filter for pleasure craft on Marinetraffic.com... and that's the boats out sailing.... not the marina queens...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190532.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	195736  
Old 11-07-2019, 02:25   #29
cruiser

Whoops... It appears as though I’ve once again accidentally logged onto the wrong forum. I can’t believe I’m the only one who’s not afraid of applying a little elbow grease or effort to a project.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:45   #30

Quote:
Whoops... It appears as though I’ve once again accidentally logged onto the wrong forum. I can’t believe I’m the only one who’s not afraid of applying a little elbow grease or effort to a project.
Haha yeah it appears that way, over the last 40 years of boat ownership, I can say that I have done about 90% of my own repairs. The only reason lately im having other people do some of the work is because of economic reasons. I earn more than the people doing the repairs. But even then, there is many things I do not trust the so-called "Professionals" do to so I end up doing it myself anyway.

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck