Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 04:16   #31

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Cost of Fixing Teak Decking?

$2000 in materials sounds very cheap to me Kenomac. Sealant, sealer, turps, gloves, rags, dust masks, masking tape and sandpaper ads up very quick when repairing a teak deck. Not to mention I do not know any marinas around here that let you do that type of work on the water. So then there is hardstand fees as well. Kenomac it must be another case of you knowing how to operate a large Oyster while the rest of us plebes can only afford a smaller yacht.
Just take a look at this link to see how it’s done.
http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.c...king-small.pdf
That link shows nothing about removing fittings, sanding around corners and cabin edges etc. Not to mention days on your knees. I have laid and repaired a few teak decks and the only fun thing was when it was finished.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:28   #32
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
That's a shame because I suspect that half the Moodys are GRP decks rather than teak. Those that do have teak are often limited to just the cockpit seats which is a completely different proposition.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...dard%20listing

Personally there is no way I would have a full teak deck but that's my choice.

Pete

Was looking at the Moody 54's - All I saw had teak decks, none of which had been re-done since new - Early 2000's
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:07   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

1.) it is stupid to refurbish a teak deck when it is tight.
2.) it is stupid to sand a teakdeck unless it needs repair (1.))
3.) it is even more stupid to oil or paint a teak deck

If the deck was a good old natural teak ( they usually applied 15 mm of teak ) and has 9-10mm it is worth to try to rebed the screws, to rechaulk and to sand it a last time.

Do not remove the old teak and do not apply new plant grown (scrap) teak as it will last only 10+ years and is too expensive to do this.

Repair the teak deck yourself. It is a lot of work, expect 6 to 8 weeks for it. Maybe you find a country where manhours are cheap - i.e. Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines etc.

If this is not possible and you do not have a good old boat < 1980 (Bluewater Cruiser) then remove it and stay with GRP. This is the cheaper way.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:28   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Was looking at the Moody 54's - All I saw had teak decks, none of which had been re-done since new - Early 2000's
You must have somehow missed ours, a 2001 Oyster 53 for sale with the teak decks already refinished and looking good as new (see photos on earlier post). It’s on yachtworld and on this forum for a discounted price to CF members.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 08:45   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here’s what refinished teak decks look like on an Oyster 53, photo taken today. What’s not to like about it? It’s really no different than changing or refinishing the hardwood floors in a house once every 15-30 years, yet people think nothing of doning that when purchasing a home.
The hardwood floors in my parents home were laid in 1896..LOL Fabulous still.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 17:45   #36
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You must have somehow missed ours, a 2001 Oyster 53 for sale with the teak decks already refinished and looking good as new (see photos on earlier post). It’s on yachtworld and on this forum for a discounted price to CF members.

I've seen it on both - Just out of my price range
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 06:32   #37

Boat: Grand Soleil 42

Contact Barry Lovell at TLC Boat Repair at Conwy. https://www.tlc-boat-repair.co.uk/

Barry is known to do an excellent job. He is also doing other things that teak deck, even though that is his main business.
Mogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 06:40   #38
cruiser

Quote:
I've seen it on both - Just out of my price range
The 53 was “out of my price range” eight years ago, so I decided to put 400 hours of my labor into the deck work which then brought the Oyster 53 within range. The work was done while I was anchored off Formentera enjoying the show.

Eight years later... no regrets.
Old 15-07-2019, 07:03   #39

Boat: 1982 Baba 35 / 1977 Columbia Payne 9.6

I see a lot of bad advice here. $40-50k... the only time I got quotes that high was from boatyard hacks. Don't listen to me... certainly don't listen to others who have never had it done. Call Teak Decking Systems. You'll take rough measurements and they'll give you a free quote with the understanding it may change when they make the actual measurements... but you'll be in the ballpark. Removing teak decks is a LOT more than removing, filling holes fairing and painting... The teak is not a structural component, but it was part of the consideration in regards to deck stiffness. Once the teak is removed, your decks will flex more. Most boat will require the decks to be stiffened... below, not just adding glass. Teak Decking Systems travel the world doing this. No boatyard worker is going to match their skill. It took three weeks for them to do my boat from the time they made the original template to competition. I know I sound like an advertisement, but they did an amazing job for a fraction of the quotes from boatyards.
CaptainKevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 07:31   #40

Boat: Grand Soleil 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKevinM View Post
I see a lot of bad advice here. $40-50k... the only time I got quotes that high was from boatyard hacks. Don't listen to me... certainly don't listen to others who have never had it done.
I don't know who you are aiming at!

Teak Decking Systems is not real teak - it some respect it looks like teak, but it is not the real thing. There are several systems out there trying to create something that looks and acts like teak.

I replaced the teak deck on my 42", we ended up using our local boatyard at river Hamble, UK. My advice: make your own research, if you want real teak, only old traditional boat builders and boatyards can the craft.
Mogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 08:01   #41

Boat: 2008 Jeanneau 54

At boat shows I've seen the plastic or rubber teak deck replacement products, and I'm not impressed. I've also inspected installations after 3 to 5 years use; it's not what I would want, and in my opinion, a costly mistake.

However, I was impressed by an installer showing off samples of his workmanship, using what looked very much like the Esthec composite product. The product name wasn't displayed, so I'm not sure of the material manufacturer. But the material and the workmanship looked excellent. I understand this type of material is installed just like real teak boards, in that it can be worked just like wood (cut, shaped, sanded, etc.).

When we need to replace the deck on our 54' Jeanneau, I'll take a hard look at composite products, because what I saw looked every bit as nice as teak, would cost about the same (it was suggested that it would cost less), and last longer.

As an FYI... For a 58' yacht (that we ultimately decided not to purchase, this past January) I had a verbal estimate from a reputable teak installer in Florida who installs teak and/or quality composite material. That vessel required the removal of old teak & screws, minor fixes, and then new material installation. The estimate was $60k USD, with roughly 40% of that cost being the removal, waste disposal, and anticipated minor GRP repairs/cleanup. That estimate was based on square foot measurements, and the vessel being available in Florida (no travel for the work crews).

Certainly, I'm second-guessing the wisdom of having purchased a vessel that eventually requires deck replacement. While it sure looks nice, that maintenance item will certainly sting when the day comes.
Rascally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 08:03   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKevinM View Post
I see a lot of bad advice here. $40-50k... the only time I got quotes that high was from boatyard hacks. Don't listen to me... certainly don't listen to others who have never had it done. Call Teak Decking Systems. You'll take rough measurements and they'll give you a free quote with the understanding it may change when they make the actual measurements... but you'll be in the ballpark. Removing teak decks is a LOT more than removing, filling holes fairing and painting... The teak is not a structural component, but it was part of the consideration in regards to deck stiffness. Once the teak is removed, your decks will flex more. Most boat will require the decks to be stiffened... below, not just adding glass. Teak Decking Systems travel the world doing this. No boatyard worker is going to match their skill. It took three weeks for them to do my boat from the time they made the original template to competition. I know I sound like an advertisement, but they did an amazing job for a fraction of the quotes from boatyards.
There’s a BIG difference in deck sq footage between a Baba 35 and a Moody 54, so the cost will be much different. I did use the Teak Decking systems products when I refinished our decks on the Oyster 53. Excellent products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogle View Post
I don't know who you are aiming at!

Teak Decking Systems is not real teak - it some respect it looks like teak, but it is not the real thing. There are several systems out there trying to create something that looks and acts like teak.

I replaced the teak deck on my 42", we ended up using our local boatyard at river Hamble, UK. My advice: make your own research, if you want real teak, only old traditional boat builders and boatyards can the craft.
Teak Decking systems can replace decks using real teak.
Old 15-07-2019, 08:10   #43

Quote:
Thanks. I am trying to get a rough idea of cost of getting it done to see what sort of offer to make or if its even worth making an offer
20 years ago I had my 47 foot boat done: plugs pulled , rescrewed, recaulked. I used an independent contractor I met at the marina. Great worker. It cost $5-6K for that. So maybe double that today. Much more if a yard does it. He did the plugs and screws in the water, then we hauled out and he did the caulking and sanding on the hard.

Thick teak decks add a lot of strength/rigidity to the deck. I'm not convinced a minor ingress of water here or there is a huge deal. Although I wouldn't like it.

It really depends a lot on what the condition really is. If they are solid, not buckling up or loose from the deck and just ugly, I'd recaulk them. I would not pull all screws unless necessary.
I've had both situations:
-Rebuilt the above mentioned boat decks.
-Had the decks removed and deck painted etc on another.

I will say that the boat with the decks removed had no indication of wet core and removing the teak was very difficult although the decks looked pretty bad. With screws removed we had to break the teak planks into 1-3 ft pieces with a crowbar to get them off because the caulking held so well. The decks were floated onto caulking, not just in the grooves.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 08:40   #44

Boat: Oyster 49

I had the decks on my Oyster 49 sanded and recaulked professionally two years ago in the Caribbean = lower labor rates than the US. Deck was glued down so did not have to deal with screws, and had enough teak thickness remaining to be sanded. Cost was $15,000. Had it done because a lot of the original caulk was coming out. Process was to remove old caulk, route every single line of caulk, install new caulk, then sand. Very labour intensive.

Replacing the teak decking would have been an incredible amount of additional work as all of the deck fittings would need removing = even on an Oyster which generally has good access to things this would require removal of the fridge and some cabinets to get to the underside of deck fittings. The company that refinished my deck said it would be $50k+ to replace.

I let my teak weather - just hose it off. Once a year will brush with grain and light soap solution. Decks still look really good after two years in the tropics.
neilsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 08:40   #45

I own a wooden boat, so am certainly not afraid of DIY. There are however a lot of stories out there that end sadly because somebody bought a boat to go sailing that needed work and then found out a number of years later that they were not doing what they wanted to do, which was go sailing. Be clear with yourself whether or not you like to work on stuff. It is its own kind of therapy and brings joy to some and heartbreak to others. If sailing is what you really want to do make sure you take a short route to get there. I like to work on stuff and get joy from working on my boat. But its wood. Fiberglass is not my material of choice and does nothing for my soul, my attitude or my health when I have to work on it. At this stage of my life you couldn't pay me enough to take on the project of replacing a teak deck. Consider this before you get talked into doing it yourself to save money.
Paying someone else to do the work can range from unskilled labor doing what you ask of them to paying someone who works completely independently and delivers a finished project. People tend to forget when discussing these projects that one person thinks the job is done when the deck has been laid. Another would expect that all the gear and hardware has been replaced and properly bedded. The later takes time and planning. It also adds a considerable amount of labor. Know which one you are getting a quote for. How much stuff needs to come off that deck before work starts on it? Will it all be reused or will there be major upgrades while its all apart?

As for the decks, I'd be concerned first with what the teak is laid over. If it is balsa core or foam cored you better figure out whether its been soaking up water. If plywood then you still need to be concerned with how wet it might be, but its somewhat more forgiving, unless of course its gone completely soft in which case you still have a mess.

If the above paragraph makes no sense to you then consider that you might not want to do the work yourself. In fact if the above does not make any sense to you then consider that you are not the right person to judge whether to buy the yacht in question. Learning about different construction techniques is best done before you decide to buy a boat that "needs some work".

Buying a boat is like getting married. At some point you will wonder what you were thinking. Make sure the one you pick is worth the effort of getting past the rough spots. Because I've never seen a boat project that went as planned. There's always something lurking that you wished you didn't find.
rvich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck